SiouxSports.com Forum

Student Hockey Seats May Go

Lobo

No doubt.  That's where my seats are, in the upper bowl where the Sioux shoot twice and I have them there because it was my choice. Two things spurred that choice: I like the view from up top and I didn't have to join the FSC to buy them.  Now that has changed and I now have a "level of giving" I need to maintain to keep my seats.  If they reseat I may just say the hell with it and watch the games on TV because I'm sure they'll make me pay more; hey, I'm not rich but I am a faithful fan.  UND has gotten so greedy it isn't near as much fun as it used to be, and they don't really care if you are a true fan they only care what color and how much money you have.  They took our seats in the old rink too because we wouldn't join the FSC, but I still sat in the student section there so I didn't give a damn. 

I also think what student's fail to understand is that they think it is all about them.  Hey, I went to school there and have had season tickets for the 15 years since I've graduated.  Why should some student that has paid no dues be able to move me from my seat of choice?  And as to the standing part, don't make me laugh. That standing for the whole game came about the last couple of years in the old Ralph.  For a good dozen years I attended games at the old Ralph the students did not stand.  That all began the last year or two and filtered up from the HS games as kids moved onto college.  The old crowds were plenty loud and animated without standing the whole time.  And they were much more creative than the student's are nowadays, too.  Anyone heard of the farce?  Sorry, I think I'm starting to rant here, but I tire of these same old topics and just wanted to give my 2 cents.  Thanks for listening.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Please don't say that student's don't pay dues for their seats....I've paid close to $6,000/year to this University ever since I started going to school here 3 years ago...And that is because I am local kid...And I don't even have tickets to the games at the Ralph, I am lucky enough to work there and watch the games from a vomitory..My dad is FSC member and pays $1,100/year plus the money for the tickets. I know that doesn't equal out to be $6,000....To me the difference between students at the new Ralph compared to the Old Ralph are when students did stand at the Old Ralph nobody cared, because people didn't appreciate that building as much as they do the New Ralph. Now when a student stands at the New Ralph there is security instantly questioning them if someone complains about that student...Everything is about making the general public happy, and this arena is not about the general public, it's about the students because it is our arena, not the cities...It was built for the betterment of the University, and the city has reaped the benefits...Just My Two Cents as Well

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The arena was not built for the students or necessarily for the university, it was built for Sioux hockey.

I really think the students should have to attend a mandatory meeting. Learn the songs, learn certain cheers. This should be coordinated with the athletic department. You should not have to have flyers with the words passed out to the freaking students. You should Know these songs before you get to the arena. They are not hard to learn. I know them and so do my kids.

The lower bowl can scream Sioux YEAH YEAH, and the upper bowl will answer with the Yeah SIOUX SIOUX. It should be second nature to you students.

You don't need to have alot of cheers that you expect everyone to join you with. Just a few - the songs, the Sioux Yeah Yeah, and the ever popular Let's Go Sioux. But you all need to do them loud. Keep at it. Eventually the rest of the crowd will "Get it".

If you students get your act together, everyone else will love it. Get the adminstration on board. But make this orientation an annual required event. One generation of students will have to work their butts off to get it going, but then each year you have 3 classes that get it and pass it on to the new ones.

It is up to the students. What have you got to lose?

The arena was not built for the students or necessarily for the university, it was built for Sioux hockey.

I really think the students should have to attend a mandatory meeting.  Learn the songs, learn certain cheers.  This should be coordinated with the athletic department.  You should not have to have flyers with the words passed out to the freaking students.  You should Know these songs before you get to the arena.  They are not hard to learn.  I know them and so do my kids.

The lower bowl can scream Sioux YEAH YEAH, and the upper bowl will answer with the Yeah SIOUX SIOUX.  It should be second nature to you students. 

If you students get your act together, everyone else will love it.  Get the adminstration on board.  But make this orientation an annual required event.  One generation of students will have to work their butts off to get it going, but then each year you have 3 classes that get it and pass it on to the new ones.

It is up to the students.  What have you got to lose?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Whoa Engelbunny, you had me agreeing with everything you said until this post, "The arena was not built for the students........" The hockey team is made up of UND students, if you're not a student you can't be on the Sioux hockey team. When I started going to hockey games as a student, I didn't pay for my ticket. I stood in line and if I was lucky, I got a ticket. Students now pay for their tickets and pay a student activity fee. That's double dipping in my book. But I digress, the money for the arena came from an alum who loved Sioux hockey played by UND students. In other words the arena was built for UND students. Please don't make the gap wider with this type of posting.

You don't need to have alot of cheers that you expect everyone to join you with.  Just a few - the songs, the Sioux Yeah Yeah, and the ever popular Let's Go Sioux.  But you all need to do them loud.  Keep at it.  Eventually the rest of the crowd will "Get it".

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is where the tech staff at REA needs to work with the students. When the students start yelling "LET'S GO SIOUX" and actually get some volume going, they need to get it up on the big screen (or at least the circle "ad" banner).

That has got to help some, at least.

This is where the tech staff at REA needs to work with the students. When the students start yelling "LET'S GO SIOUX" and actually get some volume going, they need to get it up on the big screen (or at least the circle "ad" banner).

That has got to help some, at least.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Or the arena could quit playing canned music. Amazing how in Columbus the fans or band filled the stoppages with noise. :lol:

There was more to it than what you described. But, yes, it was a problem. I don't live in the immediate area, but I did walk my dog past the court every evening. It got to the point where I totally avoided that part of the park because I feared for my safety.

I'm glad that I didn't live any closer to the situation than I did. Having seen the problem firsthand, I fully understood why those who lived across from the park were concerned about what was going on there. Anyone with common sense would have been.

At any rate, it had absolutely nothing to do with the community being out to get college students or any anti-youth sentiment, as has been implied here.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The attempt to rezone the neighborhood nearby UND so that no more than 2 (?) non related people can be living there at the same time. Another city action that says we care about the younger crowd.

The attempt to rezone the neighborhood nearby UND so that no more than 2 (?) non related people can be living there at the same time.  Another city action that says we care about the younger crowd.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Didn't happen, did it?

Not yet, and not for lack of effort from some of the good old boys that live in that neighborhood.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It isn't going to happen. I can tell you that as one of the "good old boys" who lives in the neighborhood.

Actually, I'm a God.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, you're a wannabe Canadian cape-wielding freak who, for some reason, is a hero to people in the arena...

I'm the sign guy...

Point, MNS. ;)

Never heard of the rezoning thing. I agree with PCM here. It won't happen.

And there is no anti-youth movement in Grand Forks, BDB...you seem to be the only one who thinks so... :lol:

And there is no anti-youth movement in Grand Forks, BDB...you seem to be the only one who thinks so... :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Having two teen-aged kids, I'm thinking that I might be aware of it. Then again, I'm pretty old, so a lot gets by me without notice. ;)

Whoa Engelbunny, you had me agreeing with everything you said until this post, "The arena was not built for the students........" The hockey team is made up of UND students, if you're not a student you can't be on the Sioux hockey team. When I started going to hockey games as a student, I didn't pay for my ticket. I stood in line and if I was lucky, I got a ticket. Students now pay for their tickets and pay a student activity fee. That's double dipping in my book. But I digress, the money for the arena came from an alum who loved Sioux hockey played by UND students. In other words the arena was built for UND students. Please don't make the gap wider with this type of posting.

I think your proving my point here with your post. I don't think there is anything wrong with what I said. The arena was built for Sioux Hockey, and all who love it (students, kids, middle age people and old alums who can barely walk but love the games).

If Ralph would have built it with only the students in mind, it would be a much different arena. In fact, much of the reason the arena turned out as it did is because the ND legislature passed a bill that required that a building donated to a university be self sufficient. They were nervous that the operating costs of the building would become a huge expense to the University. So now the building had to fund itself. The arena is actually designed around the suite level. Like it or not, that is where the constant revenue stream is. And before you get down on those people, many of the suite holders are alums, are long-time hockey fans, and they cheer at the games. Certainly many people coming to the games are there to be seen, but that is not relegated to only the non students.

My whole point is that you students are going to have quit with the "we're getting screwed" mentality. Your post above continues with the students against all else line of thinking. It is not productive. The situation is what it is. The old days are gone and they aren't coming back. That is reality. But you can work to make it better.

I was thinking about it and I really don't see what the point of moving the student section would be. The only thing students are doing right now that is wrong is swear. Moving them won't change this, doing many of the things suggested in this thread would.

I was thinking about it and I really don't see what the point of moving the student section would be.  The only thing students are doing right now that is wrong is swear.  Moving them won't change this, doing many of the things suggested in this thread would.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The main problem with this whole swearing thing is simple logistics.

Two seasons ago, when the "sanctions" were put into place, they were thrust upon a set of fans towards the end of the season. It was working, IMO. Then, last season comes around and suddenly, the swearing and standing returns. Now the school is wondering why the students are so poorly behaved? Well, when you get one group of students to agree to the sanctions you cannot expect a DIFFERENT group to pick up where they left off.

To my knowledge, not many of those students who are aware and follow the rules (those who were season ticket holders two seasons ago now) had season tickets last season. So, now we are going to be punished for what a seperate group did for disregarding what they taught the first group.

Incompetance.

I was thinking about it and I really don't see what the point of moving the student section would be.  The only thing students are doing right now that is wrong is swear.  Moving them won't change this, doing many of the things suggested in this thread would.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Amen.

Which is exactly why someone, ie. Bobby Haskins, needs to take some initiative and make it madatory for people who get season tickets for the first time to attend a meeting with the UND AD and REA about this.

It's not like those of us on this board are infinately more brilliant than the people who make these deicisions. They can do it too.

The arena was built for Sioux Hockey, and all who love it (students, kids, middle age people and old alums who can barely walk but love the games). 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for your rebuttal. :lol: If you scroll back you'll see that you wrote that the arena was not built for the students. Now you include them in the group it was built for, thank you. Also, if you'll read my post you'll see that I agreed with what you had previously written until your post that the arena was not built for the students. Maybe that's part of problem, people aren't hearing (or reading) everything that's being said on both sides. Rather, they're jumping the gun and making assumptions without getting all the facts. As far as the suite holders go, hey, more power to them if they can enjoy a hockey game from there. I have friends who are in the suites who can't wait until their contracts are up and they come back to sit with us in the bowl where they can watch the game, cheer, boo, jump up and down and feel a comaraderie with those around them. If there are empty seats, they sneak out of the suite to sit in them. They go to the REA to watch hockey not to schmoose, network, impress clients, etc. But I agree, whatever brings in the money, as long as they're not sitting next to me and schussing me because they can't hear the person on the other end of their cell phone. Oh and thanks for the "you students", makes me feel like putting on a halter top, cut off jeans and lying on a blanket at University park. I graduated 26 years ago and again 14 years ago but I am still a student advocate. ;)