SiouxSports.com Forum

Student Hockey Seats May Go

Lobo

Of course not. But I do believe that it's printed on every ticket and stated before every game over the PA that such behavior is grounds for removal from the arena.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not disagreeing, I was just saying. I wanted to lighten the mood a bit before everyone starts yelling at everyone else. ;)

I try not to swear anymore, sometimes though it slips out. Heck this year I got talked to by security and I didn't even swear. Guess I'm one of those "leaders" that Chucky is talking about! :lol:

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So tell me then, Diggler, how you would feel if approached by fans calling you a "Nazi lover" or seeing kids carrying around a sign that said "Sioux:  Go Back to the Reservation."?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I really wouldn't care. If people want to act stupid and make themselves look ignorant, more power to them. They aren't hurting me in any way, so I really do not care. I might laugh at them or I might just ignore them. It's amazing that adults can ignore things, isn't it?

A question.

Is there an arrangment where students could be seated in the lower bowl where they could stand at will? Will the facility sight-lines allow for this. I would expect that the issue would be with the suites. Can't they get high stools or something or are the sight lines such that if the students stand there is no possible way to see the ice? Not letting the students stand at will, seems wrong. Students should be able to stand at the start of games until the first scoring opportunity, which was common in the late nineties or for the entire 3rd period if the team is down. When people stand they make more noise.

I won't defend or oppose choice language, because it is a student section and there should not be any delusions about what is going to come from there. There are plenty of seats not by the student section for those with young ears.

I do believe that the outstanding ND sections in Columbus would have been considered a mob by Kupchella. Certainly we stood too much.

I also think it would be fun to have the band in the lower bowl student section.

I think using the Sioux student section, the Piston fans, and the Red Sox fan last night in the same post isn't quite fair.

The students are the University of North Dakota. Let them stand, let them cheer. The "who's he, he sucks s&!t" chant has been around forever (well since before I went to UND) and suddenly they can't say it? That's like letting your kids do something for years and then one day telling they can't anymore 'cause it's wrong.

I remember being completely obnoxious at football and hockey games, it's not fair to take that stuff away from the students, it was part of college life and it should remain. Crap I remember being completely sober and almost getting into fights with Bison fans........

As far as I'm concerned Kupchella can leave the University of North Dakota before the students leave the REA.

Reality:

Dr. Kupchella has asked for a clean-up of the vocabulary. (It's not just him, it's across the whole NCAA.) It hasn't happened. I'm sure he's frustrated. He has few options left. Guess what. He just threatened one.

Reality:

The students were promised some things the last time that haven't come to pass either (more use of the electronics to lead cheers, school songs on the electronics, etc.). Students have the right to be frustrated.

Hint to students: You could fix swearing by coming up with something new instead and using the electronics to roll it out.

Reality:

More student seats in the lower bowl isn't going to happen. Why not? Because the students are not filling what they have today (107, 108, 307-310) today on a consistent basis.

Reality:

Reseating is a distinct possibility. Why? Students in a corner section could stand and not block as many sightlines (but some would still be a problem). Plus, UND and REA would get center ice "money" seats out of the deal.

I am a new poster and I see I already messed up. I just want to say how upset I am at how the students are treated. I have been to alot of Sioux games and always have to sit in 311, general addmission. During the playoffs we got to sit in the student section and we never had so much fun. If it wasn't for the students we wouldn't have hockey to enjoy. I remember Zach Praise making comments when being interviewed about how the students were treated at the Ralph. I went to all of World Junior games and I was amazed at the different atmosphere compared to the Sioux games. The Canadians know how to get into hockey and support there country. During the gold medal game that place was rocking, all you could see was red and white and hundreds of Canadian flags. Some of the fans were rude but they did support there team, which I thought was great. GO SIOUX!!! and give the students more lower bowl seats, they need to rule the Ralph.

Another forum has to be done. The last one was 4 years ago now. Many students who were at those, will have graduated (hint: to myself :lol:), it needs to be done again. This time though it has to be taken seriously. Alot of things need to be done and everyone needs to attend them, it can't just be students, REA and whomever the new AD is. The general public/people who aren't happy need to attend too.

The reason playoff games are so fun is because you eliminate the dopey bandwagon students. They certainly aren't going to shorten their Spring Break to watch hockey. This results in people who are true fans being able to get tickets. I think if REA overall had more true fans, student and other alike, this wouldn't even be a problem as it would have been solved by now.

Crap I remember being completely sober and almost getting into fights with Bison fans........

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I remember trying to run down, or at least not slowing down for, anybody I saw in MSP wearing Bison fan gear. I think it's an automatic reaction to filth. :lol:;)

You know this is absolutely idiotic that this same issue with Upchuck keeps coming to the forefront. What I want to know, where was he on Thursday night of the Frozen Four -- oh probably slurping his prune juice at the nursing home somewhere. This guy makes me want to puke!

I say we inendate him with the great article in the Dakota Student on the fan support at the Frozen Four.

Upchuck needs to go play with the gophers and leave the students alone at UND!

JFC!

Another forum has to be done. .... This time though it has to be taken seriously.  Alot of things need to be done and everyone needs to attend them ....

I think if REA overall had more true fans ...  this wouldn't even be a problem as it would have been solved by now.

Oh dear Parise! A sane, rational post by Diggler! ;)

Hold it, who are you, and how'd you get Diggler's password? :lol: :lol:

Bottom line:

Neither side has held up their end of the last deal.

Proof 1:

The students asked for song lyrics on the electronics last time. In Columbus more Sioux fans knew the lyrics to the "Beer Barrel Polka" than to "Fight on Sioux" or "Stand Up and Cheer".

Proof 2:

The use of certain cheers continues even when efforts were to be made to change or eliminate them.

For everyone who wants students behind the net the Sioux shoot at twice had better be ready for one helluva fight from the people currently holding those seats.  Many of those fans requested those seats for that exact area to watch the Sioux offense twice.  The students are just fine where they are and don't deserve to lose any seats.  What does Kupchucka want everyone to do...sit on his hands like he and Adelle do and look clueless to about what is going on.  Wasn't it great he could show his face in Columbus? :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Its been done, NDSU kicked out a load of teammakers from some 40-40 yard line seats in the early nineties to give the students those sections.

It is rather frustrating that the only time Kupchella really seems to say anything about athletics, it is something negative and it's never directly to do with the team or sport he's directing the negativity towards. He doesn't really support the athletic teams, he just shows up at championship games and even then he only seems to be there because he feels like he's supposed not because he wants to.

I don't even know the words to Fight on Sioux. I wish I did, because it is a great fight song.

It is rather frustrating that the only time Kupchella really seems to say anything about athletics, it is something negative and it's never directly to do with the team or sport he's directing the negativity towards. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have to call bovine scatology on that statment. I've heard him stay many, many positive things about athletics.

You know this is absolutely idiotic that this same issue with Upchuck keeps coming to the forefront.  What I want to know, where was he on Thursday night of the Frozen Four -- oh probably slurping his prune juice at the nursing home somewhere.  This guy makes me want to puke! 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey, you and I both know that Kupchella is not the world's greatest supporter of UND athletics. But let's not jump on him without first knowing the facts. There are some people in this world who have JOBS which can't be just disregarded the second their team is in a Frozen Four. Ever thought that maybe Kupchella was busy in meetings on campus or traveling to visit alumni trying to raise more money for the university on the students' behalf? I would have loved to come - I'm a huge Sioux fan. Unfortunately my job didn't give me the luxury to get there. Maybe Kupchella was in the same boat and had unavoidable business to attend to. Cut the guy at least a little slack...I'm sure he means well.

Maybe you guys are putting too much blame on Kupchella? The guy is in a lose-lose situation. It is the people who are complaining and those that are acting poorly that are the problem. He is just in the middle of it. I don't think his attending games has much to do with his support for the school. Sure it is good to see him out there, but wouldn't you rather have him doing something positive for the school, as Sicatoka pointed out he was doing during the FF? I just don't think you can put him down for not attending every sporting event that goes on.

I just think that it all gets blown out of proportion.  Do you guys really feel it is that bad at the games is what I'm wondering?

MafiaMan, yes the Pistons brawl was a disgrace, but nothing close to that has happened at UND.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

NO, NO, and NO. My ex- has been a season ticket holder for well over 20 years (so by default I did to), he has seats behind the goalie in the lower bowl, where the Sioux shoot twice. He is also an administrator at UND and I can tell you he is loud, and rowdy at the Sioux games. He will also fight tooth and nail to keep his seats. I have only had Season tickets for about five years. They're on the opposite side in the lower bowl as well. I go to every game unless my boss threatens me with termination or I'm stuck in a ditch during a blizzard. I also do not leave the arena until the last Sioux player is off the ice. I have never had a problem with the students. My problem has been with people who go to the arena to schmoose with clients, to network, or to get so drunk they have to be poured into a glass and taken home. Sioux hockey is a student activity -- playing and watching. Getting rid of the 'concentration of students' at a student athletic event is tantamount to making some students sit in the hall, sit outside a building or look at a video instead of attending class in a class room. As alum, we also have a right to watch hockey in a comfortable atmosphere but as alum we shouldnt expect that we can take away student privileges just because we're alum. I won't admit in this forum the things I did before, during and after hockey games as a student but I am here to tell you what you see today is tame compared to the late 70's early 80's. We had FUN. I would not take the FUN out of hockey for the students of today and those of the future. I've never been a fan of the "eat $$it" chant but I can tell you that is the worst profanity I have heard from the student section since we moved to the new REA. Those so-called fans who say they can't enjoy the game because of the students should turn in their season tickets, invest that money in a BIG television set and watch the games at home.

Hockey Mom, back when I was in school (1980's) it was just "Who's he, he sucks" without the extra expletive on the end. IMO it has better rhythym that way as well as being more palatable. I think leave off the last word and probably no one complains.

To address another comment somewhere back there, what are the comparisons to the Canadian fans at the WJC and the Sioux fans at Columbus?

It was the die hards that TRAVELLED to see the game. It's no surprise both sets were rowdy and fun loving.

You can't compare Canadians that travelled from all over Canada to the normal home game Sioux crowd. Completely different dynamic, IMO.