SiouxSports.com Forum

San Diego @ UND 9/21/24

SiouxFan100

48 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

San Diego looked like a decent team with some talented players

Ask yourself this:

Would San Diego have receivers running wide open down the field playing pitch and catch with the QB if they were in Fargo or Brookings?

The answer to that question highlights the gulf that exists between UND and both xDSUs. Winning games like this handily should become the norm if we want to get our program to the level of the xDSUs.

That being said, the defense is 1000% better than last year, the o-line is solid and the running game is fun to watch. There is definite potential for further growth and improvement as the season progresses.

52 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Ask yourself this:

Would San Diego have receivers running wide open down the field playing pitch and catch with the QB if they were in Fargo or Brookings?

The answer to that question highlights the gulf that exists between UND and both xDSUs. Winning games like this handily should become the norm if we want to get our program to the level of the xDSUs.

That being said, the defense is 1000% better than last year, the o-line is solid and the running game is fun to watch. There is definite potential for further growth and improvement as the season progresses.

SDSU just beat a D2 school last week by 21 points and they struggled to do so.  It happens, but I get your point.

• Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Ask yourself this:

I would guess NDSU has similar complaints about their defense.  They haven’t been very good this season.  Teams haven’t had to throw against them.  

Coaches just need to worry about us.  Lots of inexperience out there and I like the different types of teams we have seen and found a way to beat this far.  Schedule gets much more difficult from here so wins will be hard to come by and we are going to struggle at times.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, SiouxFan100 said:

Did Romfo skip any passes today? I don’t remember any.

we have shown some good and exposed some weaknesses so far this year. I think we are still improving though 

trying to be optimistic and realistic 

There is definite room for growth. And it is nice to have some semblance of a defense this year. Last year's unit was unwatchable.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

I hear you but just like ETSU last week Towson was running on NDSU. Everyone has shown weakness. 

IMO our passing game is not a weakness.  it doesn't exist.  Safeties are 7 maybe 8 yard off the LoS.  Right now pump routes are only passing offense.  As the competition improves that is not going to cut it.

I'm usually pretty patient but I think what we have seen is going to be what we get from Romfo.  Hard to believe that's the best we can do with 3 or 4 scholarships used on QBs.  5 for 13 against a non-scholly team for Pete's sake...Not real impressed with our receivers outside of Bo either, but the throws have been pretty rough.

42 minutes ago, Devils said:

I'm usually pretty patient but I think what we have seen is going to be what we get from Romfo.  Hard to believe that's the best we can do with 3 or 4 scholarships used on QBs.  5 for 13 against a non-scholly team for Pete's sake...Not real impressed with our receivers outside of Bo either, but the throws have been pretty rough.

Maybe deng will get in now conference play will start 

14 minutes ago, MinnDak said:

A win is a win. You can’t say the last three games haven’t been interesting. Outstanding play in some areas. 

Absolutely.  Maybe only about 5% or less on this board thought we would be 3-1.  Work to do.  Just keep improving.  Bo with two deep catches.  Nate with a circus catch deep.  

1 minute ago, Nodak78 said:

Absolutely.  Maybe only about 5% or less on this board thought we would be 3-1.  Work to do.  Just keep improving.  Bo with two deep catches.  Nate with a circus catch deep.  

Iowa State and Montana showing this is a championship caliber team that so far is maybe at 50% potential and certainly hasn’t played a good complete game and still at 3-1. The best players at some positions might not even be on the field yet? Like you said no one expected this start. After the awful pass coverage first half and passing game and to flip it all the second half is historically unique. Next week is the trap trap trap game then on to the Super Bowl. 

5 minutes ago, MinnDak said:

Iowa State and Montana showing this is a championship caliber team that so far is maybe at 50% potential and certainly hasn’t played a good complete game and still at 3-1. The best players at some positions might not even be on the field yet? Like you said no one expected this start. After the awful pass coverage first half and passing game and to flip it all the second half is historically unique. Next week is the trap trap trap game then on to the Super Bowl. 

Agree.  This team is different.  No one on this every expected our defense to be this much improved.  The transfers have made a big difference and younger players stepping up.

13 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Ask yourself this:

This thought went through my head, and I agree: we still aren’t quite there yet, and spotlight continues to focus on the aged “leader”