SiouxSports.com Forum

Who is Geoff Paukovich?

The Sicatoka

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone to ever play hockey has it drilled into them that checking from behind is very dangerous and is known to cause serious injuries including paralysis. So the guy has no excuse for what he did and proving intent might be difficult, but anything short of him being retarded he knew what was likely to happen from a hit like that. I can stand people defending someone like this, try look at it from the perspective if someone did that to you or your child.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Try looking at it from the prespective as if your child was Paukovich. You don't think he feels terrible about it? You think people should go about the internet bringing up his history and condemning him for life?

Mory, I can understand where you are coming from with your point though I won't agree with your conclusion.

Here's how I look at it.

I saw parts of the Denver series in Grand Forks on TV. Paukovich stood out to me as a jerk. Chippy, edgy. Cheap. Arrogant. That doesn't necessarily mean anything. I mean, we've got Prpich.

However, it was no surprise at all to me that the guy who put Bina down last Friday was Paukovich. I'm not aware of a situation where Prpich ever put anyone in danger like this. For one thing, I don't think he can hit that hard.

Now this information comes to light.

What the whole picture tells me is this guy IS difficult (impossible?) to control. For his own pleasure he WILL hurt others. From what I know, anyway, Prpich is NOTHING like this guy.

Not a good M.O., IMO.

Try looking at it from the prespective as if your child was Paukovich. You don't think he feels terrible about it? You think people should go about the internet bringing up his history and condemning him for life?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey Mory, you are all alone on this one Your hole is just getting deeper with your every post. No one here is condemning him for life, just for the amount of time that Robbie is out.

Sicatoka,

i'm usually interested in most of the things you have to say on this forum, i have the utmost respect for you and your opinions and knowledge, but this is kinda bush league. I completely understand the "hatred" for the punkabitch kid, but posting his criminal record on an open forum like that is a low blow. The kid is probably a complete idiot, which is evedent from his decisions, but flaming him on here makes us almost akin to (most) gopher fans (the ones we all bitch about). It's fun to make fun of people but just like with the Hirsch incident, there should be a line that isn't crossed, and i am of the opinion that this is on the wrong side of the line.

.....on the other hand.....since it's already on here.......

ESPN INSIDER............great one liner :sad:

Mory, if you want to moderate what other people put on a message board then go ahead and host one yourself and get all of your buddies to join so you guys can talk about all the perfect things going on in the world.

In life there is no perfect, that's why there's Walgreens!

Hey Mory, you are all alone on this one 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No... he's not. While I enjoy dirt as much as the next guy, IMO we're screwing with a personal privacy issue. Heck, we all have some proverbial skeletons in our closets. (although I'm happy to say mine don't include sexual assault)

That said, Dagies comments were very well stated and they've got me thinking about it some more...........

A sexual assault on a girl is private? If it is private why is it posted on the internet in other places. He deserves to be riddiculed for doing something inexcusable, let the world know. It is public information and The Sickatoka was just pointing out a FACT, he was convicted, this is not a rumor, or ongoing trial.

Then he has the "intent to injure" another hockey player on the ice, according to "hockey experts" who reviewed the tape. *shakes head*

In 8th grade I got in a fight and punched a kid in the face.  Then last year in intramural hockey, I slashed a guy and almost broke his wrist.  The two must be connected and I must be a consistent threat to society.  :sad:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Regarding next year, I hate to ask but what awaits the poor guy in the 10th grade? :lol:

Again, illegal by law or illegal in a hockey game. Please explain to me how a kid's sexual assault conviction has ANYTHING AT ALL to do with a hit in hockey. You can say poor judgement and violent behavior all you want. But to connect the two is ridiculous.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How about having everything to do with his character. Both situations involve attacking or taking advantage of people in defenseless positions. Sure, I think that he deserved a second chance after messing up PRIOR to coming to DU. However, he ruined that chance and should be gone now. Anyone that rooted for Bochenski should believe in second chances. However, I have a problem when third and fourth chances start getting handed out.

First, the story about Paukovich is in the public domain because it's on the Web. Anyone who knows how to Google can easily find it. There's no prying into private information, no court records to access or slick, time-consuming detective work involved.

Second, I see Gwozdecky making excuses for his player, claiming that Paukovich plays intelligent hockey and is simply a victim of his size. For example, there's this Gwozdecky quote on Paukovich from the Jan. 27 Rocky Mountain News:

"As Geoff moves along, the officials will start to understand he's a smart player and very physical, but he's not going to run around like a chicken with its head cut off trying to hit everything in sight and everyone illegally."

Third, I see DU fans at USCHO telling everyone that Paukovich is really "a great kid" and that everyone should leave him alone because he feels terrible about what happened Bina.

All the information about Paukovich -- his many undisciplined penalties, the dangerous hit on Bina, reports from other hockey fans about his penchant for poor on-ice decisions AND the rape conviction -- factor into judging his character. They are all part of who he is and what he's done. You can't separate them and pretend like they're disconnected.

For me, it comes down to this: Don't try to feed me BS and tell me it's ice cream.

Paukovich's past actions are relevant, especially so if the current situation were to become more similar to the Bertuzzi situation. (See the post by UNDLAW above.) It's public record.

The question must be raised:

He didn't learn last time.

Will he this time?

What if he doesn't?

There had to be some major questions among colleges before they decided to recruit this guy. He obviously has come questionable character attributes that go way beyond hitting from behind. Nice recruit, Gwoz, and good job not reining him in. Physical presence, indeed.

How about having everything to do with his character. Both situations involve attacking or taking advantage of people in defenseless positions. Sure, I think that he deserved a second chance after messing up PRIOR to coming to DU. However, he ruined that chance and should be gone now. Anyone that rooted for Bochenski should believe in second chances. However, I have a problem when third and fourth chances start getting handed out.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

the bochenski thing is a lot different, albeit criminal, it's different. he didn't screw up his second chance....

although i'm all with you on the dirtiness and stupidity of the hit, you cannot prove intent to injur. He'll get his....He will get his.....(greene and him meeting up in the AHL one day, NHL one day..........where a beat down is a five minute penalty without losing a game or two.

Second, I see Gwozdecky making excuses for his player, claiming that Paukovich plays intelligent hockey and is simply a victim of his size.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

With the victim of size rationale I guess we should expect about as much rationale thought and advice out Gwozdecy as say the Travelocity Garden Gnome. Another sign idea for next year! :sad:

I guess I just figured most Sioux fans would follow Denny Green on the high road.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I haven't been on the high road very often myself, but when I've been there I've never seen Denny Green. I have often seen him on my many travels along the low road, however.

All the information about Greene -- his many undisciplined penalties, the dangerous hit on the player from SCSU, reports from other hockey fans about his penchant for poor on-ice decisions AND the DUI arrest -- factor into judging his character. They are all part of who he is and what he's done. You can't separate them and pretend like they're disconnected.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'd imagine you were right there asking for Greene to be kicked off the team, right?

I'd imagine you were right there asking for Greene to be kicked off the team, right?

I can't speak for PCM, but I wondered aloud about Greene keeping the captaincy and if he shouldn't be suspended until he took care of the problem he made for himself in Warroad (a culminating event).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

damn.....Mory00, you're new, PCM thinks for all of us :lol: , you can't just go around disrupting this. :sad:

but damn good point.

edit...sorry mory00, thought you were one of the newbies. my bad.

He'll get his....He will get his.....(greene and him meeting up in the AHL one day, NHL one day..........where a beat down is a five minute penalty without losing a game or two.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Paukovich and Greene have both been drafted by Edmonton. Do you get a penalty for fighting with someone on your own team? :sad::lol: