SiouxSports.com Forum

Who is Geoff Paukovich?

The Sicatoka

You'll have to register to read:

http://theindependent.com/stories/021603/spo_assault16.shtml

Sunday, February 16, 2003

Hockey player sentenced to probation in sex assault

KEARNEY (AP) -- A 16-year-old Tri-City Storm hockey player was sentenced to indefinite probation for sexually assaulting a teenage girl.

William Geoff Paukovich of Englewood, Colo., was convicted of first-degree sexual assault last month in Buffalo County Juvenile Court.

The Storm had a Geoff Paukovich, born 04/24/86, hometown Englewood, CO, on their roster at the time.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php3?pid=69874

DU has a Geoff Paukovich, born 04/24/86, hometown Englewood, CO, on their roster today.

http://www.uscho.com/rosters/index.php?sea...eam=32&gender=m

Nice fellow, eh. :sad:

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is a two-game suspension something he'd have to report to a probation officer if he still has one?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can't stand the guy because of his hit on Bina, but what is the point of going back and looking at a sexual assault conviction? This has nothing to do with the hit and is pretty classless to go around posting this. I understand it's public information, but still. Let the guy be. The hit was wrong, he knows it. He is being punished by the school.

Poor judgement.

Violent behavior.

Twice.

And here's the signature line of PCM

Great coaching decisions of our time: Paukovich gives DU the kind of physical presence it has not had in some time and Gwozdecky does not plan on trying to rein him in. - Jan. 27, 2005, Rocky Mountain News

" ... does not plan on trying to rein him in."

Seems like no one has.

Poor judgement.

Violent behavior.

Twice.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

sexual assault and a hit in a hockey game are not even close to the same thing. don't try and make it look that way. this information has nothing to do with his hit on bina and it specifically has nothing to do with sioux hockey.

A violent, flagantly illegal move.

Now, am I talking about assault or the hit on Bina?

Poor judgement. Violent behavior.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Again, illegal by law or illegal in a hockey game. Please explain to me how a kid's sexual assault conviction has ANYTHING AT ALL to do with a hit in hockey. You can say poor judgement and violent behavior all you want. But to connect the two is ridiculous.

Again,  illegal by law or illegal in a hockey game.  Please explain to me how a kid's sexual assault conviction has ANYTHING AT ALL to do with a hit in hockey.  You can say poor judgement and violent behavior all you want.  But to connect the two is ridiculous.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So anything a hockey player does off the ice is off limits? Tell it to Dany Heatly.

Granted the two incidences are not related, but both were stupid decisions that are going to impact the victims long term. I'd imagine the girl who he assaulted isn't going to "forget" what happened to her, she's going to have emotional issues, and Robbie won't forget what happened to him, he's going to be reminded of it whether he wants to or not if he is unable to continue playing hockey. Robbie is a class act and while he may be able to "Forgive" GP for what he did, it's going to be harder to "forget". Sadly GP has shown a history of making choices that are highly questionable.

So anything a hockey player does off the ice is off limits? Tell it to Dany Heatly.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I never said that, but I don't think this conviction FROM 2 YEARS AGO has anything to do with his hit. I don't see the point in bringing this up other than to mock the kid and to try and prove some point that he is violent and cheap. However, there is no way I'm going be make the connection between a violent act of sexual assault and a violent hit on the ice.

However, there is no way I'm going be make the connection between a violent act of sexual assault and a violent hit on the ice.

At the risk of repeating myself:

Is a two-game suspension (for a violent move) something he'd have to report to a probation officer if he still has one?

I can't stand the guy because of his hit on Bina, but what is the point of going back and looking at a sexual assault conviction? This has nothing to do with the hit and is pretty classless to go around posting this. I understand it's public information, but still. Let the guy be. The hit was wrong, he knows it. He is being punished by the school.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is crazy talk, it's just more info proving the guy is a thug and probably should be locked up or at least booted out of college hockey.

Can he be charged for the hit on Bina, similar to the situation in the NHL with the punch to the back of the head? Also would Robbie have legal recourse against him for intentionally injuring him and effectively ended his career?

That is crazy talk, it's just more info proving the guy is a thug and probably should be locked up or at least booted out of college hockey.

Can he be charged for the hit on Bina, similar to the situation in the NHL with the punch to the back of the head? Also would Robbie have legal recourse against him for intentionally injuring him and effectively ended his career?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good luck trying to prove intent to injure. Sure it was a dumb play, but seriously.

In 8th grade I got in a fight and punched a kid in the face. Then last year in intramural hockey, I slashed a guy and almost broke his wrist. The two must be connected and I must be a consistent threat to society. :sad:

Good luck trying to prove intent to injure. Sure it was a dumb play, but seriously.

In 8th grade I got in a fight and punched a kid in the face. Then last year in intramural hockey, I slashed a guy and almost broke his wrist. The two must be connected and I must be a consistent threat to society. :sad:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You sound like a real class act yourself :lol:

Again, illegal by law or illegal in a hockey game. Please explain to me how a kid's sexual assault conviction has ANYTHING AT ALL to do with a hit in hockey. You can say poor judgement and violent behavior all you want. But to connect the two is ridiculous.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As an attorney who KNOWS that law and practices almost exclusively in the area of criminal law, the answer is BOTH.

Sexual Assault is assault. An illegal act in hockey can be an assault [see Bertuzzi, McSorley, etc.] and punishable as a crime. And, if so, could also be a violation of his probation. Therefore, it is both relevant to hockey and relevant to his past crime.

Moreover, BOTH would be admissible as evidence at a trial (called Spreigl evidence) or for arguments for an upward setencing departure should he ever do this again even if was never even charged with a crime relating to this hit.

I have said enough...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Everyone to ever play hockey has it drilled into them that checking from behind is very dangerous and is known to cause serious injuries including paralysis. So the guy has no excuse for what he did and proving intent might be difficult, but anything short of him being retarded he knew what was likely to happen from a hit like that. I can stand people defending someone like this, try look at it from the perspective if someone did that to you or your child.