SiouxSports.com Forum

Friday Afternoon VS Denver

NDFAN

Just got back from the game and want to commend the Sioux on their play. If they can contunue this they will be a hard out in the NCAA tourney, assuming they can keep enough healthy players.

The state of officiating in the WCHA is pathetic, how Greg Shepard keeps his job is beyond me. Adam was horrible today and he is not even the worst official. Denver's style of play is not the type of hockey I want to see and the WCHA names Gwozdecky coach-of-the-year ? Who votes on this because they must like this type of hockey.

I truely hope someone will give some payback to the biggest punk in the league - Geoff Paukovich. His hit on Bina was pure cheapshot. Years ago this would have resulted in the players stepping in and taking care of this but with the fighting rules now in place it allows this type of chippy, dangerous play to take place since there is no fear of retaliation. If Gwozdecky does not step in and suspend this punk for the rest of year I will have no respect for him as a coach or person. A one game suspension for an illegal and dangerous hit like that is a joke, why even bother. A players career or even life can be permanently altered and they are willing to suspend him for 60 minutes of hockey ? Sounds about right for the clowns that run the WCHA.

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I the only one that feels like the season is over now?  It isn't losing the game, but all of the injuries.  With key players that might not return this season, I don't think we stand a chance.  It was going to be a tough battle anyway.  Maybe everyone will magically be healthy by next week.  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It has me concerned as well. People are talking about what a great effort we put in today and how we hung with the top team in the nation, but the problem is we still lost.

I'm not giving up hope by any means. This team will still crush some opposing player's hearts with some wins. I'm more concerned about our draw now. Maybe the whole Bina situation will just fire up the guys that much more. And hopefully some guys are healed by the time we get to the Frozen Four.

If Gwozdecky does not step in and suspend this punk for the rest of year I will have no respect for him as a coach or person. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If I recall correctly, a couple years ago a player from another team, while lying on his back, used his foot/skate blade side to push a player from Denver away from him as that player was falling on top of him. I think the league suspended the player 2 games -- I remember many people thinking that was way too weak a punishment (blade sliced/ripped the front of the jersey???) -- the offending player's coach stated that the punishment was set by the league, his player served it, end of story. I don't expect Gwozdecky to extend the suspension of his player beyond what the league has determined to be fitting. It's too bad the league didn't extend the suspension for more than 1 game.

If I recall correctly, a couple years ago a player from another team, while lying on his back, used his foot/skate blade side to push a player from Denver away from him as that player was falling on top of him. I think the league suspended the player 2 games -- I remember many people thinking that was way too weak a punishment (blade sliced/ripped the front of the jersey???) -- the offending player's coach stated that the punishment was set by the league, his player served it, end of story. I don't expect Gwozdecky to extend the suspension of his player beyond what the league has determined to be fitting. It's too bad the league didn't extend the suspension for more than 1 game.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wasn't that a Gopher player that kicked at someone while he was on his back?

On the Sioux goal that was disallowed both the goal judge and Adam signaled a goal so I assume there needs to be conclusive evidence that it did not go in to change the call. I haven't seen a replay but was it conclusive that it didn't go in or "couldn't tell". If you couldn't tell on the replay then I would hope the rule is that the ref and goal judges ruling stands.

On the Denver goal that was disallowed Adam never signaled goal or no goal just went to the replay.

Adam sucks, Anderson sucks more, and Shepard is a black hole.

I don't remember the kicking incident, but I would think that today's situation was worse. If a player kicks someone off of him, the other guy has likely hit him and won't get off of him. Bina did nothing to deserve the attempt to injure. To make it worse, it was a simple touch up play and he probably wasn't expecting to be hit. All he had to do was catch the puck and the delayed penalty would be called. The DU player knew that, so there was no reason for contact in the first place.

That was a cheap check. I can't believe he only got 2 minutes for it. How could Adams call only a 2 minute plenty? That is totally pull crap. Adams was standing like 3 feet away from it and looking right at it. don't know what he was looking at. That is exactly how players get serious injuried by not calling anything. A 2 and a 20 should have been enforced or a intent to injury. he totally has hid miind set on hitting him because he didn't even slow up one bit. Brind on the damn Goofers tomorrow so we can put 6 on them. Go Sioux!!!!!!

I don't remember the kicking incident, but I would think that today's situation was worse.  If a player kicks someone off of him, the other guy has likely hit him and won't get off of him.  Bina did nothing to deserve the attempt to injure.  To make it worse, it was a simple touch up play and he probably wasn't expecting to be hit.  All he had to do was catch the puck and the delayed penalty would be called.  The DU player knew that, so there was no reason for contact in the first place.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I just saw the Bina hit on replay for the first time. Federov's point is what makes the hit all the more flagrant, once Bina touched the puck the play was dead yet the guy lines him up for a cheap shot anyway. 2 minutes and 1 game is pathetic.

Doesn't look like the refee's were on their "A" game tonight because the Goofers just at their butts kicked. 3-0

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't understand this statement.

UMN got the butts handed to them because CC outplayed that, outskilled them, and out skated them.

CC is super fast! My goodness.

Had no idea Adam had signalled a goal on Zajac's non-goal. Knew the goal judge lit the lamp but didn't know Adam signalled it. I don't believe the referee is supposed to signal a goal unless he sees it cross the line. I didn't think the overhead cam showed anything, other than Fishers glovehand and arm halfway across the goal line. Never could see the puck. If Adam actually signaled a goal, I've no idea why he changed the initial call.

So, goal light goes on, Adam signals goal, and Zajac celebrates, yet none of the three had a clue?

After watching CC/Mn, it was again apparent that MN's defense is suspect when the opponent is able to pressure them in their own end. I don't think the Sioux have the legs or the players to do what CC did, but there is a chance. At least MN has to play on short rest tomorrow, partially, but not entirely, negating the disadvantage of 3 games in 3 days.

And, a new comment for Woog to restate over and over again tomorrow, "What MN lacks is a defensive defenseman." :D

I want Paukovich to sit out an additional game since he should not have played the remainder of todays game.  He should sit the Saturday's game plus the first round of the NCAA's.  Also, Adams needs to be held accoutable for the three ring circus he conducted out there today.  Somebody pitch a tent over this circus.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If I were Gwodecky I would suspend hi for the remainder of the year. What a punk. And for Gwozdecky to play him after that is un-forgivable. I hope the Sioux run into DU again during the tourney. Man, and I thought Wisconsin was bad. Punk coach, punk team. Adam should never be allowed to referee a game again. What a disgrace.