2005 North Dakota State Hockey Tournament

Wilbur

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe this thread is an indication. :love:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's not really a spirit award it is a sportsmanship award. RR was no doubt the roudiest group of fans since the Raging Red Rovers cheering on the 1975 tag team arm wrestling semi finals. This year the "spirit award" was based on points. Every school started out with a certain number of points. And if there was any booing swearing throwin stuff on the ice or cheering when the other team got a penalty then they would take points off. Again no doubt that RR got the spirit award, they are really giving away the sportsmanship award. And lets see the Central section was whistlin dixie when they got the spirit award. Lets see lets weigh in the spirit award or State championship.

Nobody is ever going to be given a trophy just for having a GF logo on the front of their jerseys, and if the GF teams are going to win any state titles between the years of 2012-2014 they'll have their work cut out for them. I realize that just because the Fargo players appear to be more skilled than the GF players at 10 to 12 years old doesn't mean they'll be better players at 16 to 18 years old, but at the same time the mere fact that you live in one town or the other doesn't make you better either (which is what I feel you are trying to suggest).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

YOU GOT THAT RIGHT!!

To look at a group of 10 - 12 year old kids....who haven't ever come close to developing...and predict that they will be the best in High School is truly assinine!!

YOU GOT THAT RIGHT!!

To look at a group of 10 - 12 year old kids....who haven't ever come close to developing...and predict that they will be the best in High School is truly assinine!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wonder what it would be like if Fargo had only one youth team like the other towns that they play. How would all the best players around Fargo, compete against Moorhead? on a different note, I was talking with an ex NHL offical on sunday who went to the state tournament. He and I both agreed that it was the worst performance of hockey we had seen in a long time. The games were horrible, and the teams played without confidence and agression. I saw one good game, between GFC and I think Grafton. Now sure it is an exciting atmosphere, but look at the stats between periods of the championship game. Two shots on net for GFC?! "If these are the best two teams in the state, North Dakota hockey is brutal" Quoted by this NHL ref. I was shocked to hear that. Embarressed as well. There is a lot of talent on all the teams, but it depends on who is going to come and play that night. I think if the teams want to get back in the groove of where ND hockey was, they need to improve the quality of their game of play, and stop setteling for less. I thought it was funny how the West had their state tourney, and the east had their own. This proves my early prediction that the east was going to do better than the west. And while we are on the subject, Jake Marto- good player, but had a horrible game on saturday. Pretty sad when there were scouts there looking at him. I know personally that there are players on the teams that have potential to go past high school. These stars were far below par this weekend. This offical was asked by the USHL to do some scouting for them. While sitting by him part of the game, he closed his notebook and said "well I did my work for the evening, now to enjoy the Ralph and it's ammenities"

This offical was asked by the USHL to do some scouting for them. While sitting by him part of the game, he closed his notebook and said "well I did my work for the evening, now to enjoy the Ralph and it's ammenities"

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sounds like someone who didn't really WANT to work!!! :silly: I'm glad I don't have someone like him working for me!

Although the Championship game might not have been a perfectly executed match-up....watching the Red River defense was worth the price of admission!!

I wonder what it would be like if Fargo had only one youth team like the other towns that they play. How would all the best players around Fargo, compete against Moorhead? on a different note, I was talking with an ex NHL offical on sunday who went to the state tournament. He and I both agreed that it was the worst performance of hockey we had seen in a long time. The games were horrible, and the teams played without confidence and agression. I saw one good game, between GFC and I think Grafton. Now sure it is an exciting atmosphere, but look at the stats between periods of the championship game. Two shots on net for GFC?! "If these are the best two teams in the state, North Dakota hockey is brutal" Quoted by this NHL ref. I was shocked to hear that. Embarressed as well. There is a lot of talent on all the teams, but it depends on who is going to come and play that night. I think if the teams want to get back in the groove of where ND hockey was, they need to improve the quality of their game of play, and stop setteling for less. I thought it was funny how the West had their state tourney, and the east had their own. This proves my early prediction that the east was going to do better than the west. And while we are on the subject, Jake Marto- good player, but had a horrible game on saturday. Pretty sad when there were scouts there looking at him. I know personally that there are players on the teams that have potential to go past high school. These stars were far below par this weekend. This offical was asked by the USHL to do some scouting for them. While sitting by him part of the game, he closed his notebook and said "well I did my work for the evening, now to enjoy the Ralph and it's ammenities"

This was a down year for ND hockey. There should be some better teams coming up the next couple of years, depending on how many stay in ND. I think the most likely D1 player of the seniors this year is Vigen from RR. Marto has talent, but is not consistent and from what I hear hockey isn't his #1 sport. I belive Marto and Vigen are the only two NDHS players drafted by a USHL team. Next years senior class will have a lot more all around talent, Minot should be good again. South, GPR, and both GF schools should be back to state in the East.

QUOTE-haveanotherdoughnut

Sorry Dave....the 2 best teams are playing for the title. Maybe back in Nov or Dec Fargo South was the best team in the East. But these are kids, they're still learning and progressing. It should be obvious. The Grand Forks kids worked hard and improved as the season wore on. South hit their plateau early and stayed there. From what I've seen in the tourney...Red River is the most talented team in the state right now. And right now is all that matters. With your logic the Vikes can lay claim to being the NFL's best team the year they choked against the Falcons. Anybody believe that? Hell no.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're right that it's wrong to assume they will be the best in the state when they're in high school just because they appear to be the best in the state at the youth level. However, it is equally if not more assinine to assume that another group of kids will be the best in the state when they get to high school based on the name of the city they call home. Can we agree on that much?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree.

In Fargo South's first 11 games their record was 4 wins and 7 losses.  How is that peaking?  After those seven losses, they did not lose again in the regular season. The two best teams did not play for the state championship, and the best team did not win.... the two teams who showed up to play on one day in the season were in the championship.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And don't forget....the "Best Team" does not tank a game when the season is on the line!!!

Isn't that why they play championships?? Otherwise, the team with the best record at the end of the year would be the champ!! :silly:

Sounds like someone who didn't really WANT to work!!! :silly: I'm glad I don't have someone like him working for me!

Although the Championship game might not have been a perfectly executed match-up....watching the Red River defense was worth the price of admission!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He took some notes on them, that was obvious that number 5 for red river probably looked the best on the ice between both teams.

QUOTE-haveanotherdoughnut

Sorry Dave....the 2 best teams are playing for the title. Maybe back in Nov or Dec Fargo South was the best team in the East. But these are kids, they're still learning and progressing. It should be obvious. The Grand Forks kids worked hard and improved as the season wore on. South hit their plateau early and stayed there. From what I've seen in the tourney...Red River is the most talented team in the state right now. And right now is all that matters. With your logic the Vikes can lay claim to being the NFL's best team the year they choked against the Falcons. Anybody believe that? Hell no.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

END QUOTE

You are right, and you are terribley wrong. The Grand Forks schools peaked at the right time, but not entirely. Red River just slipped past a North High team that had been struggling all year. Is that how a championship team plays, no way. But championship teams do however, get lucky. Thats what Red River did this year, and many other championship teams. Now do not misinterperut this to think I'm saying championships are always luck, that is NOT the case. In my mind, South was unlucky. When you said they "hit their plateau early and stayed there", you have never been more wrong, it seems you think you can make false statements and they will pass because no one really knows what they are talking about in here. In Fargo South's first 11 games their record was 4 wins and 7 losses. How is that peaking? After those seven losses, they did not lose again in the regular season. The two best teams did not play for the state championship, and the best team did not win.... the two teams who showed up to play on one day in the season were in the championship.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I dont know how you peopel who dont think the two best teams in the state played in the championship reason. As someone said before why even have a tournament and just award the state title to the team with the best record.

I would be willing to bet that you people that are saying they are not the best are from Minot or Fargo South and are just upset your teams couln't pull through when it matters.

I didn't say anything about the two best teams not being in the Championship, and I think I'm about the only one on the board who is from Minot.

This was discussed earlier in the thread, but what do people think about moving the tournament out of Grand Forks for a year. It has its positives and its negatives. I'm old fashioned so I'd like to see it stay in Grand Forks, but I'd also like to see another city get a chance to host the tournament.

I didn't say anything about the two best teams not being in the Championship, and I think I'm about the only one on the board who is from Minot.

This was discussed earlier in the thread, but what do people think about moving the tournament out of Grand Forks for a year.  It has its positives and its negatives.  I'm old fashioned so I'd like to see it stay in Grand Forks, but I'd also like to see another city get a chance to host the tournament.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No other city has the facility to hold the state tournament. Personally I do not think it would make any difference in the outcomes. However, there would be too much lost ticket revenue if it left grand forks.

Very good points, but I'm not sure I agree with you about the revenue. If it was held in Bismarck you would get a great turnout from both the Bismarck schools, Minot, and Hazen Beulah usually brings bigger crowds than anybody when the regional tournaments are in Bismarck and Minot. Then again, if all eastern schools were in the semifinals then you would probably have poor attendance. But I guess Grand Forks schools, Grafton, and Fargo have never had to travel far to a state tournament so I guess you wouldn't know how well of a turnout they would have.... :silly:

when the west can compete with the east in hockey, then people can start talking about bringing the tourney west. how many people in bismarck are going to want to go watch 2 east teams play for the championship every year? the west has two strikes against them 1. They need a legitimate, primarily hockey facility 2. people in the west care more about basketball than hockey (it is the opposite in the east)

It may be the opposite in Grand Forks and Grafton but for the rest of Eastern ND basketball is more important then hockey. And yes the state hockey tourney belongs in the GF moving it to Bismarck would be a terrible idea. Why would you want to move the hockey tourney out of one of the best hockey cities and venues in the country? Regardless of whether the west ever gets good, the state tourney belongs in GF. The state football tourney however doesn't and I'm glad it's finally returning to it's rightful home in Fargo, GF couldn't support it just like how Bismarck would never be able to support the state hockey tourney like GF does.

Hockey is about even in popularity in Fargo with basketball, it is too hard to say whether one is more popular then the other. But I agree keep the hockey tourney in GF, and have basketball tourney out in Bismarck(except State A rotates with Fargo). But football belongs in Fargo just like how hockey belongs in GF. I was at the last title game at the Dome and Fargo South and Bismarck drew about 10K there wasn't even half of that watching South vs Central at the Alerus. Fargo is a footbal city and the state football title games belong there just like how hockey belongs in GF . Even if Fargo or Bismarck were ever to build an arena half as nice as the Ralph I would still never move the hockey tourney out of GF.

I don't think basketball even comes close to hockey for popularity in the F-M area. Just look at how many kids are involved in Fargo youth hockey. Do we even have a youth basketball program here? I'm not positive, but I don't think we do.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Isn't youth basketball run through the ymca til the 5th grade?

It may be the opposite in Grand Forks and Grafton but for the rest of Eastern ND basketball is more important then hockey. And yes the state hockey tourney belongs in the GF moving it to Bismarck would be a terrible idea. Why would you want to move the hockey tourney out of one of the best hockey cities and venues in the country? Regardless of whether the west ever gets good, the state tourney belongs in GF. The state football tourney however doesn't and I'm glad it's finally returning to it's rightful home in Fargo, GF couldn't support it just like how Bismarck would never be able to support the state hockey tourney like GF does.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is Fargo a football city or a basketball city? You said they were both.

Dave K- Fargo has some kind of youth program for almost every sport. And the youth program for basketball starts at about kindergarten at the Y-ball level then at about fifth or sixith grade traveling teams get started, and there are a large amount of traveling teams in the FM area. Then from 8th grade on school ball starts. There is a fairly large amount of kids playing basketball in the FM area and it is probably about even in popularity with hockey. I just graduated from South a few years ago and I have also watched my brother go through about every level of youth basketball this city has so I know what I am talking about.

CoteauRinkRat- And I never called Fargo a basketball city, I just said that basketball was even with hockey in popularity in Fargo. Fargo is a football city then every other sport follows.