SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux at Seawolves

Wreckincrew

Thanks for adding your comments, mikejm.  I am amazed by some people on the board who thought "Lose Zach, lose Bochenski, that's ok, good teams just re-load."  Sometimes, it's just not that easy.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

All those people need to do is watch the replay of the AHL All-Star game to get a very clear reminder of how big of a loss it was losing those two. (Or check out the AHL stats.)

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for adding your comments, mikejm.  I am amazed by some people on the board who thought "Lose Zach, lose Bochenski, that's ok, good teams just re-load."  Sometimes, it's just not that easy.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It was a big loss and no one said it was not. In fact, with just Bochenski coming back, the Sioux were picked to be No. 1. However, even after losing both, the Sioux were picked No. 2 by the coaches, and were ranked in the top 3 in the national polls. Maybe that doesn't mean much to you, but it tells me that at least the coaches and media recognized the returning talent even without the 2 best players. In other words, the well was not dry--we still had ALL of our defenseman returning (of which many thought was the strength of the team), both goalies, and enough returning scoring talent (Stafford, Murray, McMahon, Fylling, Porter) and some high profile recruits (Zajac, Spirko, Radke). For those that like to compare us the Sioux to Mankato, St. Cloud, AAU, Miami of Ohio, etc. it is not a fair comparison. Those schools are virtually never in the running for the "blue chip" recruits. The only way MSUM got Backes was by signing his as a junior in HS. He also flew under the radar a bit because he played in Spring Lake Park. AAU's coach acknowledged in an article last week that they recruit different types of players than the Sioux and UM because they cannot land the big name recruits. Scott Sandelin said the same thing about UMD--they went after TJ Caig (a player with talent but baggage) because they have to take chances. In other words, they have trouble competing for the top recruits. The new arena at least invites UND to the dance for those top recruits. Based on talent alone, there simply is no excuse to losing at home to teams with inferior talent like AAU and MSUM.

Additionally, UM lost Vanek and Ballard (not to mention Riddle and others), and Denver lost Caldwell and Berkhoel. The Sioux are in the running for blue chip recruits every year with the likes of UM, BC, Maine, Wisconsin primarily because of facilities and tradition. Yes, there will be down years like 2001 was expected to be, but this year was not supposed to be one of them with all of the returning talent. Minnesota may be having a tough run, but at least they will make the NCAA tournament and will probably host. They probably deserve it after beating Michigan, winning 3 of 4 from Wisconsin, and beating Denver.

If you are going to contend that the Sioux are so dependent upon 2 players, then there is something seriously wrong with our recruiting. That is what UM fans have been saying for several years--that without Parise and Bochenski, the Sioux didn't have much ("one line team"). Sioux posters on this Board and USCHO have been arguing for several years that is not true, so why are we feeding the myth now by using that as an excuse for this season??

I have never advocated dumping Hakstol this year and I don't believe many others on this board have either. However, this is a very disappointing year, and he will be under a microscope next year. That is just the way it is in major sports. Florida didn't give Ron Zook a long rope, but at least they hired Zook after a national search. There is absolutely no excuse not to have a national search at one of the top 3 Division 1 hockey programs in the country (UM and Wisconsin being the others). Dave Hakstol is a great guy and I hope he succeeds. However, the rope cannot be long at UND, much like it would not be at UM. UND built the new arena with the expectation that our program was one of the top programs in the country, on par with UM. Dave Hakstol knew what he was getting into when he took this job. Unlike Blais, he has no proven track record, only question marks, so you can't compare the slack given to Blais for having a bad season. UND simply cannot afford to fall out of the picture for the top recruits. This sentiment is shared by many, many Sioux fans and former players. The expectations are high and should be. The Sioux are not AAU, MSUM, MTU or St. Cloud and should never settle for mediocrity. Next year should tell us a lot.

Surely you are not jumping off of the bus this year, what with the Sioux only being a handful of solid efforts away from Columbus . . . .

Who ever said anything about mediocrity? This is the WCHA.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm awful close. :silly: When you split with AAU and MSUM at home, get swept by Denver at home, and lose to a depleted AAU team in a must win, it is a bit disheartening. There was once a time, even when the Sioux were .500, that they would at least split with the top teams at home, and many years, swept superior opponents. This year, I am not optimistic that we will beat Wisconsin, but am hoping for a split. I think our talent is at least as good as Wisconsin, but this team is missing something and has been all year. That is the tough part. It is not lack of talent.

As far as the WCHA, I disagree. It all goes in cycles. In the 90's the CCHA was tougher. In 1999, 3 hockey east teams were in the Frozen Four. I was there in Anaheim because I expected the Sioux to be there. Hockey East is probably closer to the WCHA this year than you think. Even though the WCHA is doing well the last few years, there are a number of mediocre teams in the WCHA this year. Look at the nonconference records of teams 6 through 10. Again, the Sioux should never measure themselves against those teams if it expects to remain a national powerhouse. If you do, then don't complain when the Sioux don't land the top recruits despite the great facility. We should not kid ourselves--they don't come to UND for the scenery or the education. They come because of the winning tradition and the facilities.

...In other words, the well was not dry--we still had ALL of our defenseman returning (of which many thought was the strength of the team), both goalies,

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, and it continues to be the strength of the team. Look at goals-against. Any team giving up 2.5 per game would be happy.

and enough returning scoring talent (Stafford, Murray, McMahon, Fylling, Porter) and some high profile recruits (Zajac, Spirko, Radke).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How are our returning scorers? Simple to make some comparisons. Assume the team will play 8 more games (4 regular season, 2 in WCHA first round, the play-in and semi-final at the Final Five), and let the spreadsheet do the rest. Here's what you come up with:

Stafford will end the year with 34 points (+2 from 03-04)

Murray 20 (-26) but he's going to be out of at least 10 games, and playing hurt in several more

McMahon 14 (-11)

Fylling 11 (-16)

Porter 14 (-11)

Add in high profile recruits:

Spirko 35 (+35)

Zajac 34 (+34)

Radke 4 (+4) although I don't know if I would've expected him to add significantly to scoring

So the team loses Bochenski and his 60 points; Zach (55 points) and Lundbohm (30) for a total of 145 and brings in just 73 from these 3 freshmen.

That's a drop of 1.8 goals per game, EVEN IF ALL OTHER RETURNEES SCORE AT THE SAME PACE as they did a year ago! (Sorry for shouting.)

This team was going to have trouble matching its 03-04 scoring; Dean knew it, Hakstol knew it; most anyone who's watched the team for the last few years had to have known it.

Additionally, UM lost Vanek and Ballard (not to mention Riddle and others)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, and look at their troubles of late. Although I would put the loss of Grant Potulny at least as important as either Keith Ballard or Tomas Vanek. GP was the heart of the back-to-back champs and needs to be recognized as such.

Minnesota may be having a tough run, but at least they will make the NCAA tournament and will probably host.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, and the Sioux will make the NCAAs also if they win one or two more games.

If you are going to contend that the Sioux are so dependent upon 2 players, then there is something seriously wrong with our recruiting. That is what UM fans have been saying for several years--that without Parise and Bochenski, the Sioux didn't have much ("one line team"). Sioux posters on this Board and USCHO have been arguing for several years that is not true, so why are we feeding the myth now by using that as an excuse for this season??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

One could easily make a case that the 03-04 Sioux WERE a one-line team; but that would be to ignore the fact that eight other players on that team scored more than 20 points. I'd prefer to say that it was a team that relied on Parise, Bochenski and Murray to score, and filled in ably with nearly three other pretty prolific scoring lines. When a team scores with the apparent ease that last year's Sioux did, opposing teams can't afford to concentrate their checkers on just one line. Stop PBM, and Genoway, Lundbohm, Fylling, Stafford, etc. will score.

This year's team is very, very different: Genoway and Stafford have held up their ends of the bargain, as have two extremely talented freshmen in Spirko and Zajac. Beyond those four scorers (five when Murray can play), this is a bunch of lunch-pail guys who'll get you some points, but not of the PBM variety. A tight-checking (might read obstructive) team can shut down one, maybe one-and-a-half, lines and game over.

As to bad recruiting, I'll posit the team is exactly where it should be, IF one puts Zach and Bochenski back on the roster. Add their points back into the totals. Wow, what a team! Add in next year's scorers and you might have the second coming of the Hrkac Circus!

Simply put, this team was not supposed to be lacking those two high scoring players. No one expected them to be gone this year; I think everyone figured Zach would be back for another run at the title, and who'd have ever thought Bochenski would strong-arm himself into a paycheck a year early? There is no one here who could've seen that coming.

Dave Hakstol knew what he was getting into when he took this job. Unlike Blais, he has no proven track record, only question marks, so you can't compare the slack given to Blais for having a bad season.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm going to go WAY out on a limb here and say that the Sioux would be no different today if Dean was still coaching them. And, instead of yelling for Hak's head on a stake, the quiet murmur through the crowd and message boards would be, "Do you think Wendy's death took Dean out of the game mentally? Maybe he should've stepped down." That's harsh, but I believe that would be the drumbeat today.

I love the Sioux. I am an alum. I support the team with my voice and with my checkbook. I have very, very high expectations every year. Skate for Eight and all that. But anyone who thought this team would be able to carry on last year's high-scoring pace was not looking at things objectively.

Sorry for the long-winded response. Also sorry for picking apart your post. I don't mean to be preachy, so forgive me if it sounds that way. All that being said, all the Sioux have to do is turn back on the scoring they found Friday in Anchorage and they could make a pretty fun run into March, and maybe even April.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, I remember last summer people on this board saying we'd still be at the top of the league after the big two left. Where are those people now? Probably the ones calling for Hak's head. There was no way this team had a chance to be consistent all season. Imagine if the freshmen hadn't played well, might be looking at 8th place. There is a chance still to do something, but to think this team was going to a .750 team was insane.

Yes, and it continues to be the strength of the team. Look at goals-against. Any team giving up 2.5 per game would be happy.

How are our returning scorers? Simple to make some comparisons. Assume the team will play 8 more games (4 regular season, 2 in WCHA first round, the play-in and semi-final at the Final Five), and let the spreadsheet do the rest. Here's what you come up with:

Murray 20 (-26) but he's going to be out of at least 10 games, and playing hurt in several more

McMahon 14 (-11)

Fylling 11 (-16)

Porter 14 (-11)

Spirko 35 (+35)

Zajac 34 (+34)

Radke 4 (+4) although I don't know if I would've expected him to add significantly to scoring

So the team loses Bochenski and his 60 points; Zach (55 points) and Lundbohm (30) for a total of 145 and brings in just 73 from these 3 freshmen.

That's a drop of 1.8 goals per game, EVEN IF ALL OTHER RETURNEES SCORE AT THE SAME PACE as they did a year ago! (Sorry for shouting.)

This team was going to have trouble matching its 03-04 scoring; Dean knew it, Hakstol knew it; most anyone who's watched the team for the last few years had to have known it.

Yes, and look at their troubles of late. Although I would put the loss of Grant Potulny at least as important as either Keith Ballard or Tomas Vanek. GP was the heart of the back-to-back champs and needs to be recognized as such.

One could easily make a case that the 03-04 Sioux WERE a one-line team; but that would be to ignore the fact that eight other players on that team scored more than 20 points. I'd prefer to say that it was a team that relied on Parise, Bochenski and Murray to score, and filled in ably with nearly three other pretty prolific scoring lines. When a team scores with the apparent ease that last year's Sioux did, opposing teams can't afford to concentrate their checkers on just one line. Stop PBM, and Genoway, Lundbohm, Fylling, Stafford, etc. will score.

This year's team is very, very different: Genoway and Stafford have held up their ends of the bargain, as have two extremely talented freshmen in Spirko and Zajac. Beyond those four scorers (five when Murray can play), this is a bunch of lunch-pail guys who'll get you some points, but not of the PBM variety. A tight-checking (might read obstructive) team can shut down one, maybe one-and-a-half, lines and game over.

As to bad recruiting, I'll posit the team is exactly where it should be, IF one puts Zach and Bochenski back on the roster. Add their points back into the totals. Wow, what a team! Add in next year's scorers and you might have the second coming of the Hrkac Circus!

Simply put, this team was not supposed to be lacking those two high scoring players. No one expected them to be gone this year; I think everyone figured Zach would be back for another run at the title, and who'd have ever thought Bochenski would strong-arm himself into a paycheck a year early? There is no one here who could've seen that coming.

I'm going to go WAY out on a limb here and say that the Sioux would be no different today if Dean was still coaching them. And, instead of yelling for Hak's head on a stake, the quiet murmur through the crowd and message boards would be, "Do you think Wendy's death took Dean out of the game mentally? Maybe he should've stepped down." That's harsh, but I believe that would be the drumbeat today.

I love the Sioux. I am an alum. I support the team with my voice and with my checkbook. I have very, very high expectations every year. Skate for Eight and all that. But anyone who thought this team would be able to carry on last year's high-scoring pace was not looking at things objectively.

Sorry for the long-winded response. Also sorry for picking apart your post. I don't mean to be preachy, so forgive me if it sounds that way. All that being said, all the Sioux have to do is turn back on the scoring they found Friday in Anchorage and they could make a pretty fun run into March, and maybe even April.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good post! :silly: It appears that we agree on many things, it is just a matter of degree. The one thing that I continue to be disappointed in is the lack of discipline, fundamentals and at times, heart. This team has taken inopportune penalties all year and there is no consequence. By contrast, I recall when Blais sat Nick Naumenko, the best player, for taking a few stupid penalties. That set the tone that no one was immune to benching, no matter how talented. He carried that on by sitting the Panzers and Blake when he felt they were not working hard or playing without passion. I do not see that this year. Greene, Prpich, Jones and others continue to take the lazy stick penalties.This team is also not good at catching or making passes. That was always a strength of Blais' teams. Finally, this team does not seem to play with a sense of urgency until it is behind (see Bemidji State; Denver, etc.). You may be right that it is something other than coaching, but the buck must stop somewhere. As I've said, we will see what he does next year. There is a lot of returning talent, and some high profile recruits, including Toews, Duncan, Chorney, Watkins, Brian Lee, Zach Jones. There should not be any excuses after next year because he will have recruited all of the players.

At the risk of getting lit up like a Christmas tree by all those that think I'm unreasonable, I'll add my two cents. I knew we were going to miss ZP and BB. I expected that the Sioux might struggle early but hoped they'd finish strong. The problem is it's been almost exactly the opposite. Yes there have been some injuries that hurt (Brady).

No sign of improvement as the season goes on. A seeming obstinance to trying something different when the same approach continues to fail. These are my biggest concerns. With the Sioux hosting a NCAA regional next year, I'd hate to have missing the big dance next year be the proof that there needs to be a change.

I know Dean ain't coming back, but one of the things I really loved about him was that even after a win on Friday he might say something like,"We had some guys out there tonight that were just passengers. Some of them are upperclassmen and should know better by now. I'm not going to name names, but they know who they are. We're going to have some changes in the lineup tomorrow night (or tonight, if was a Saturday pre-game interview)."

This weekend is everything as far as a national tournament birth is concerned. We have to sweep. We want Maine to sweep Lowell, we want Tech to sweep Alaska, we want Bemidji State to sweep UMD and SCSU to sweep the Gophs. Dartmouth v Harvard is either or. We can move way up in the pairwise if that sequence of events occurs.

As far as this team. I don't know what to think. I think we lack a third period, carry the team on my shoulders, and win the f---ing game kind of guy. We've lost a lot of 1-goal games this year against some very good teams.

I place the lack of success of this year's team squarely on the shoulders of the defensive corps' inability to create offense.

This team is also not good at catching or making passes. That was always a strength of Blais' teams.

skateshattick I agree with almost all of your post. This statement I don't. I don't think this team has been all that great at transition, passing and catching since this senior class came in 2001. Therefore, the struggles in this area this year don't really surprise me.

On a different note, I wonder if some point reduction of Murray's, and other players (like Fylling, etc.) might relate to the fact they are NOT on the ice with Parise and Bochenski. Those guys didn't just provide their assists to each other. They set up others, and they scored off other's assists.

McMahon 14 (-11)

Fylling 11 (-16)

Porter 14 (-11)

Spirko 35 (+35)

Zajac 34 (+34)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think, though it was lengthy :silly: , mikejm hit it right on the head.

And as for recruiting, I look at our incoming recruits and I can only say "Wow!" I'm positive things will get better. I just hope we don't have to wait until next season.

McMahon 14 (-11)

Fylling 11 (-16)

Porter 14 (-11)

Spirko 35 (+35)

Zajac 34 (+34)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not following your numbers. If we lost 145 points and brought in 73 that is a difference of 72 which is 1.8 points per game, not goals...big difference.

On a different note, I wonder if some point reduction of Murray's, and other players (like Fylling, etc.) might relate to the fact they are NOT on the ice with Parise and Bochenski.  Those guys didn't just provide their assists to each other.  They set up others, and they scored off other's assists.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dagies speak truth here. Skateshattrick sometimes have forked tongue.

• 1 month later...

5th best in the WCHA may be 6th best in the nation. Put me in Cornell's bracket...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Bump... ???

I thought that this was an interesting read. This whole thread is just funny to read now... If you don't want to read it all look at pages 8 - 12.

Great way to finish up the season. I think Hak may be around for some time...

Surely you are not jumping off of the bus this year, what with the Sioux only being a handful of solid efforts away from Columbus . . . .

Who ever said anything about mediocrity? This is the WCHA.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What about North Dakota Hockey? His post is dead on seeing the Sioux were in Columbus with three other teams from the WCHA.