SiouxSports.com Forum

New Streaming Deal for Summit League

SWSiouxMN

34 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Both NCHC and Summit League now have a relationship with CBS Sports.

I smell Josh Fenton's influence here.

So, to watch UND sports you will need:  NCHC streaming (mens hockey), SLN streaming (mens basketball), CBS sports (basketball/hockey), and Midco Sports Plus or espn+ for football.  Is this correct?  I feel like we need a chart for this..

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, FSSD said:

So, to watch UND sports you will need:  NCHC streaming (mens hockey), SLN streaming (mens basketball), CBS sports (basketball/hockey), and Midco Sports Plus or espn+ for football.  Is this correct?  I feel like we need a chart for this..

Correct, but SLN is also Midco Sports Plus.  

23 minutes ago, FSSD said:

9 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Correct, but SLN is also Midco Sports Plus.  

Exactly. I mean, its not *that* complex...

Like 90%+ of your content will be found on NCHC.tv or Midco Sports Plus. That will get you:

• Hockey
    • NCHC.tv
    • all home games and away non-conference games (except CBS Sports Network games)
  • Football
    • Midco Sports Plus
    • all games except Boise State (FS1) and Northern Iowa (MVFC game of the week on ESPN3)
  • Basketball (M+W)
    • Midco Sports Plus (which runs Summit League Network)
    • all home games and away non-conference games (except CBS Sports Network games)
  • Soccer, Softball, and Volleyball
    • Midco Sports Plus (which runs Summit League Network)
    • all home games and select away non-conference games

You are looking at like 4-5 games out of like 100+ games that are not going to be on NCHC.tv or Midco Sports Plus...and those 4-5 games are going to be "nationally" televised (don't know if you could consider a free ESPN3 game as nationally televised).

This is really UND's second year like this as their last TV deal with Midco put everything at home (sans Hockey) on Midco Sports Plus already.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Wonder who the CBSSN broadcasters will be?  Will they be the same for all games, or different, depending on the venue?  Would be nice for CBSSN if they could do a basketball and hockey game with Heinert on the same day id assume?

It is the direction I hope they go when the Summit Tournament games are on CBSSN

2 hours ago, Kab said:

They need to get down to one carrier and one steaming

to have all this is crazy

one local carrier and a streaming service for those out of the area 

The deals themselves aren't the problem - the problem is having three primary sports all in separate leagues.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

The deals themselves aren't the problem - the problem is having three primary sports all in separate leagues.

This ^ - each league’s varying memberships is going to have different needs and far differing ideas what serves each best.  Heck institutions as we all know have different ideas of what suffices for broadcast quality.  This may help improve that.  UND is far better positioned for this than some others.

I for one am pleased that they didn’t go with ESPN, the Summit has been and would be lost in the shuffle with a company that is quickly not becoming the World Wide Leader. I believe Midco will provide incredibly usable platform, and they will want to do it well.  I will enjoy watching any game I want on Summit League game nights.  

The CBS Sports Network adds another piece that will give some additional avenues for the league membership to reach.

13 minutes ago, the green team said:

This ^ - each league’s varying memberships is going to have different needs and far differing ideas what serves each best.  Heck institutions as we all know have different ideas of what suffices for broadcast quality.  This may help improve that.  UND is far better positioned for this than some others.

I for one am pleased that they didn’t go with ESPN, the Summit has been and would be lost in the shuffle with a company that is quickly not becoming the World Wide Leader. I believe Midco will provide incredibly usable platform, and they will want to do it well.  I will enjoy watching any game I want on Summit League game nights.  

The CBS Sports Network adds another piece that will give some additional avenues for the league membership to reach.

This 1000%.  ESPN+ is a joke.  Remember last years NAU game no audio the first half.  Some basketball games were a terrible stream.