SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-24 ND High School Hockey

Legacy vs. Sheyenne was a good game.  Legacy didn't play Miller in net, but the backup played really well.  You could tell Legacy played Friday night and Sheyenne is missing four regulars with injuries.

1-1 tie.  The former goaltender in me doesn't want to talk about a nonconference shootout that didn't mean anything. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Legacy vs. Sheyenne was a good game.  Legacy didn't play Miller in net, but the backup played really well.  You could tell Legacy played Friday night and Sheyenne is missing four regulars with injuries.

1-1 tie.  The former goaltender in me doesn't want to talk about a nonconference shootout that didn't mean anything. 

Tight checking game.  Took Legacy a half a game to get moving then I thought they played better.  18 for WF Sheyenne is a great player.  Sheyenne played a very good defensive game limiting LHS top guns, especially on the PK.  Could've done without the potential season ending injury to the senior captain (D man), but fully understand that can happen in hockey. 

Seems like there are always upsets come regionals.  I also agree to those above, the West has an opportunity to make it to a Friday night game.  I think the "stigma" might be a huge hurdle.  Legacy and Century were close last year (double OT and a one goal loss).     

Hard to believe there's only 3 weeks left of the season.

• Upvote 3

Last night in the EDC.  

Red River vs. S/S

Central vs. GPR

Moorhead vs. Davies

Devils Lake vs. North

Sheyenne vs. WFHS

Only thing not set is 3-6.  North needs to beat Devils Lake or a Red River win over South to claim third.  South has earned home ice as at least #4.

Sheyenne has to beat WFHS in regulation and by 2 goals to claim 5th place.  I believe the tiebreaker is head to head, then differential, and then region wins.  So WFHS would have the tiebreaker with a one goal loss.  If I'm wrong here please correct me.

Entire WDA on PSP network.  Can't wait!

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Last night in the EDC.  

Red River vs. S/S

Central vs. GPR

Moorhead vs. Davies

Devils Lake vs. North

Sheyenne vs. WFHS

Only thing not set is 3-6.  North needs to beat Devils Lake or a Red River win over South to claim third.  South has earned home ice as at least #4.

Sheyenne has to beat WFHS in regulation and by 2 goals to claim 5th place.  I believe the tiebreaker is head to head, then differential, and then region wins.  So WFHS would have the tiebreaker with a one goal loss.  If I'm wrong here please correct me.

This year is exciting to me because the EDC could honestly be taken by any of probably 6 teams. The GF teams have shown some weakness that they typically haven't shown in recent years which opens the door for anything to happen. Also, it appears the West has a good shot to take 1 maybe even 2 games in the opening round at state, so it's exciting knowing there's a much higher probability of seeing a new mix in the running! 

It feels like we're at least getting close to back on track from that span of 2014-2018 when the west won back to back titles (minot and BHS) then continued with having a west team in the championship game 3 years in a row after that. Say what you want about the Legacy launch, but it appears on paper that disrupted the momentum and has taken a long time to catch back up. Ultimately in the long run it appears it was great for Bismarck and the entire state but just took longer than expected to regain. 3 steps back and 3 going forward soon to be 4. :) 

8 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Last night in the EDC.  

Red River vs. S/S

Central vs. GPR

Moorhead vs. Davies

Devils Lake vs. North

Sheyenne vs. WFHS

Gotta love WF and Sheyenne as last game of the season.  RR and Central, North v South would be awesome final games as well.

I believe the West is about set, if I'm not mistaken.  

CHS, Legacy, Minot, Mandan, Dickinson, Jamestown, Willy, Bottineau, Hazen, BHS.  Willy v BHS playin.  Bottineau v Hazen playin.  The question for each side will be, where are the upsets gonna fall....

• Upvote 2

So in all liklihood:

EDC:

RR vs. DL

WF vs. South/Shanley

Central vs. Davies

Sheyenne vs. North

WDA:

Century vs Bottineau

Mandan vs. Dickinson

Legacy vs. Williston

Minot vs. Jamestown

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Wilbur said:

So in all liklihood:

EDC:

RR vs. DL

WF vs. South/Shanley

Central vs. Davies

Sheyenne vs. North

WDA:

Century vs Bottineau

Mandan vs. Dickinson

Legacy vs. Williston

Minot vs. Jamestown

Sure looks that way! 

Does anyone know of any teams dealing with an injury bug right now or missing any star players due to injury? It seems like things could be pretty tight in the WDA and certainly are tight in the EDC where a few missing guys could make a big difference. Just was curious 

1 hour ago, Brim006 said:

Sure looks that way! 

Does anyone know of any teams dealing with an injury bug right now or missing any star players due to injury? It seems like things could be pretty tight in the WDA and certainly are tight in the EDC where a few missing guys could make a big difference. Just was curious 

Both WF teams have lost some guys that I know of.  Central has been hit throughout the year.  North lost a forward to a head injury.  The time of the year when you are lucky if you are healthy!

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Brim006 said:

Sure looks that way! 

Word on the street is Legacy lost Sr D man Jameson Johnson.

Thats a considerable loss for the Sabers but they did have success when he was out of the lineup earlier in the year so I'd say they are still one of the favorites in the WDA and to break the western first round curse.

I saw some notes that Mandan have most of their injured players back as well. Don't sleep on Mandan, Leingang can win games on his own in net.

• Upvote 1

On 1/29/2024 at 3:18 PM, Brim006 said:

Kailee Jaeger, also from Devils Lake played through her SR year in high school and went on to play D1. She played at Bemidji State. There was another girl from Devils Lake that played with those really good late 90s Devils Lake teams with the Stromme boys. She played 3-4 line varsity and was the first girl in ND high school hockey history to play in a varsity game at the state tournament. Must've been 1996. I believe she also played D1 somewhere. 

Matti Brekken was the gal from DL. I believe she played for the gophers. 

• Upvote 1

I did a little checking as to scoring on the girls' side.  I picked (3) years at random from 10+ years ago and the average was 7.2 goals per game.   This year, the average goals per game is 4.84, about a 33% drop.  The goalie stats are significantly better now, but I didn't calculate average save percentages.  Just thought this was interesting given the low scoring games and relatively low point totals for the scoring leaders.  

For comparison, on the boys side the average is around 7.4 goals per game.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Walsh Hall said:

I did a little checking as to scoring on the girls' side.  I picked (3) years at random from 10+ years ago and the average was 7.2 goals per game.   This year, the average goals per game is 4.84, about a 33% drop.  The goalie stats are significantly better now, but I didn't calculate average save percentages.  Just thought this was interesting given the low scoring games and relatively low point totals for the scoring leaders.  

I can see that for a number of reasons.  First being the parity in the league.  The gap has definitely closed from 12 to 1.

Id be curious to see how many run time games there were this year.  It has to be very few. 

good for nd hockey overall but not good enough from keeping high end talent in state unfortunately.  I watched Warroad v Lakeville on hockey day and it’s just a huge difference. 

1 hour ago, Johnny Five said:

I can see that for a number of reasons.  First being the parity in the league.  The gap has definitely closed from 12 to 1.

Id be curious to see how many run time games there were this year.  It has to be very few. 

good for nd hockey overall but not good enough from keeping high end talent in state unfortunately.  I watched Warroad v Lakeville on hockey day and it’s just a huge difference. 

I was bored.  And I just "quoted" myself.  Seems like a violation of sorts...

Only 5 games have ended in run time this year in girls hockey.  4 of them have involved Dickinson, who is currently in the final spot in the standings...and 2 of those included Abrahamson lighting up the scoreboard.  

That's a pretty wild stat IMO.  

The depth of the state has drastically improved in the last 10 years there's no question.  

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Johnny Five said:

Watched that too and ND girls hockey is still way behind Minnesota. It will never be as good just for the simple fact of numbers and teams 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Walsh Hall said:

Thanks for sharing this. It did seem like the scoring leaders total points were all relatively low outside of those 2 DL girls, so your leg work confirms it. I wrote it off as girls hockey just scoring less than boys but apparently this is just a goalie dominated season. Neat 

On 2/8/2024 at 9:35 AM, Walsh Hall said:

The 10th leading scorer in the state is averaging 1 point per game. 19 points in 19 games. Crazy