SiouxSports.com Forum

How long will it take?

01grad

How long do you all think it will take for UND to have a powerhouse womens hockey team, if ever? I would think with our facilities and some great coaching, we would be able to be a top team and compete with the gophers and bulldogs.

I just got back from the 7-0 loss to the gophers and we didn't look too great. I understand that the gophers are the best with Darwitz and Wendell, but I still expected a better showing and perhaps a goal or two. There were about 10-15 Sioux fans there as well as myself and it would have been nice to have had something to cheer about.

On a side note, one of our back up goalies was really good looking but still didn't compete with number 11 (Albrecht) for the gophers. She was stunning. I was very impressed with the level of play and nice moves here and there, but I missed seeing the checks.

It would be nice to watch the gophers lose a combined total of 8 games some season to mens/womens North Dakota hockey once we get better. That would be the ultimate sweep!

We were gonna go to that game, but didn't maybe tomorrow. Could be a near historic win, but I do not think that the Gopher women are as prone to choking on the big one as are their men. :0

Went last year. That one was something like 10-0. We told the girls heading down the runway to remember the feeling of getting whipped bad, and to remember to return the favor next year. Well, maybe next year will have to wait until tomorrow.

Rivard is a sharp coach, and maybe the next AD as well. Girls High School Hockey is getting better all of the time. Just like the boys and young men, the top- tiered young women, or at least many of them, will be licking their chops to play for North Dakota.

It won't be long before they are competing for the top echelon of the WCHA. Gophers have gotten many of their blue-chippers over the years just because there were few other programs around at the time.

Won't be long. In the meantime, we'll have to settle for Anchorage laying another hurt on the Golden Chokers tonight.

I spoke with Coach Rivard's husband a couple of weeks ago.

She is getting only 3 scholarships a year added, meaning it will take 5 years to get the number of scholarships that full programs can offer (18 I guess). I do not know how many she has now.

So I suspect it will take 5 years to get the full complement of good players who now have to play for only partial scholarships, if any, to go to UND. They will be offered full rides at other places...

She is getting only 3 scholarships a year added, meaning it will take 5 years to get the number of scholarships that full programs can offer (18 I guess).  I do not know how many she has now.

So I suspect it will take 5 years to get the full complement of good players who now have to play for only partial scholarships, if any, to go to UND.  They will be offered full rides at other places...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yet another NCAA rule that seems to make little or no sense other than to keep the proletariat in check for as long as possible before the womens' team rises up and dominates the world of NCAA Division I womens' ice hockey.

What is girls high school hockey like in North Dakota?  They don't still play ringettes do they?  :0

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Girls Hockey in North Dakota is really struggling. To be perfectly honest, people don't see the point in going to the girls' games when they can go to the boys games. The girls are having a really hard time getting attendance at the games. Free pizza seems to be their main attraction. ;)

One thing we can do to help the team grow is to show up to games and support the team. Such as this weekend's games against St. Cloud. The men's team is playing in Alaska and the basketball teams are at USD. Perfect weekend to take in a women's hockey game! What I don't get is why the games are still on Saturday and Sunday. All of the other teams are out of town so why don't they have the games on Fri. and Sat.?

One thing we can do to help the team grow is to show up to games and support the team. Such as this weekend's games against St. Cloud. The men's team is playing in Alaska and the basketball teams are at USD. Perfect weekend to take in a women's hockey game! What I don't get is why the games are still on Saturday and Sunday. All of the other teams are out of town so why don't they have the games on Fri. and Sat.?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is any high school games going on there?

I would say it will take at least 3 or more years to get a great team with Rodents snagging all the good girls but here is the current Shattuck Girls Prep stats with Lammy's twin sisters and Murry's sister.

SHATTUCK-ST. MARY'S GIRLS PREP '04-'05 STATS

# Name Pos. Grade DOB Height Home Town GP G A PTS PIM

02 Gabrielle Mazade F 11 11/15/87 5'5" Downers Grove, IL 20 7 4 11 14

03 Jodie Charison F 12 1/20/87 5'6" Gunton, MB 29 6 7 13 24

04 Jamie Law F 12 4/17/87 5'6" Bay City, MI 39 11 12 23 16

05 Monique Lamoureux F 9 7/3/89 5'6" Grand Forks, ND 41 35 41 76 72

06 Jocelyne Lamoureux F 9 7/3/89 5'6" Grand Forks, ND 39 35 34 69 80

07 Jennifer Porter F 11 8/21/88 5'7" Faribault, MN 41 8 14 22 4

08 Allysen Weidner F 11 10/2/87 5'7" Wichita, KS 40 22 27 49 35

09 Jennifer Schoullis F 10 3/7/89 5'6" Girard, PA 41 18 22 40 44

10 Amanda Castignetti D 9 8/12/90 5'3" Anchorage, AK 41 6 17 23 6

11 Amanda Rucinski F 11 4/19/88 5'4" Winona, MN 41 10 15 25 6

12 Allison Johanson F 12 9/1/87 5'10" Flagstaff, AZ 33 15 22 37 16

14 Sasha Sherry D 9 4/5/90 5'11" Lehighton, PA 39 3 23 26 22

15 Brooke Collins D 12 2/25/87 5'6" Pilot Mound, MB 41 13 49 62 14

16 Danielle Hirsch D 11 4/18/88 5'4" Bloomington, MN 41 3 31 34 26

17 Emily Kranz F 11 1/26/88 5'6" Waukesha, WI 41 31 48 79 14

20 Christine Dickinson F 12 3/27/87 5'5" Layton, UT 36 8 20 28 12

22 Sarah Murray D 11 4/28/88 5'4" Faribault, MN 32 2 22 24 38

26 Alyssa Breu D 10 11/15/88 5'9" Faribault, MN 24 1 5 6 14

Goalies

# Name Pos. Grade DOB Height Home Town GP MINS W L T GAA SV SV% SO TGA TSA

01 Alexandria Zirbel G 12 6/18/87 5'4" Rowlett, TX 22 841 17 0 2 0.91 242 0.93 2 17 259

23 Danielle Ciarletta G 12 9/2/86 5'7" Blaine, MN 22 841 16 2 4 1.33 278 0.91 5 25 303

QUOTE(NorthDakotaHockey @ Feb 13 2005, 01:06 AM)

QUOTE(LuvHockey @ Feb 12 2005, 11:38 PM)

She is getting only 3 scholarships a year added, meaning it will take 5 years to get the number of scholarships that full programs can offer (18 I guess). I do not know how many she has now.

So I suspect it will take 5 years to get the full complement of good players who now have to play for only partial scholarships, if any, to go to UND. They will be offered full rides at other places...

Yet another NCAA rule that seems to make little or no sense other than to keep the proletariat in check for as long as possible before the womens' team rises up and dominates the world of NCAA Division I womens' ice hockey.

I don't believe this is an NCAA rule, but rather UND's decision based on financial/economic considerations.

What I understood is that this is not an NCAA rule, but the "business plan" requested by the coach when interviewed for the job of developing the team. There is no reason UND couldn't increase these faster should they choose to spend the money now , not over 3 more years..

QUOTE(NorthDakotaHockey @ Feb 13 2005, 01:06 AM)

QUOTE(LuvHockey @ Feb 12 2005, 11:38 PM)

She is getting only 3 scholarships a year added, meaning it will take 5 years to get the number of scholarships that full programs can offer (18 I guess).  I do not know how many she has now.

So I suspect it will take 5 years to get the full complement of good players who now have to play for only partial scholarships, if any, to go to UND.  They will be offered full rides at other places...

I don't believe this is an NCAA rule, but rather UND's decision based on financial/economic considerations.

What I understood is that this is not an NCAA rule, but the "business plan" requested by the coach when interviewed for the job of developing the team.  There is no reason UND couldn't increase these faster should they choose to spend the money now , not over 3 more years..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I always thought it was a NCAA rule limiting the scholarships to the women's hockey team, but it what you say it true, well then - what gives? Why doesn't the university help the team out a little. It would only take a couple of scholarship players to help out on the ice and with team morale!

I don't know much other than the fact that I don't know much.

This said, I do believe that this is an NCAA "governor" on a new program, not part of any business plan. Can't have the new kids growing too fast, too quickly, and beating up on the old sisters.

NDSWho is facing the same "step increases" as it moves to DI, albeit miserably so.

I am sure that the Sioux would ramp up the womens' scholarship offers now, but for the NCAA and its idiosyncratic and oftentimes archane rules.

Sioux will be a womens' powerhouse as soon as they are allowed to do so. Rivard, and The Ralph, not to mention the great education, will be sure to draw recruits from the top shelf.

This said, I do believe that this is an NCAA "governor" on a new program, not part of any business plan.  Can't have the new kids growing too fast, too quickly, and beating up on the old sisters.

NDSWho is facing the same "step increases" as it moves to DI, albeit miserably so.

I am sure that the Sioux would ramp up the womens' scholarship offers now, but for the NCAA and its idiosyncratic and oftentimes archane rules.

Sioux will be a womens' powerhouse as soon as they are allowed to do so.  Rivard, and The Ralph, not to mention the great education, will be sure to draw recruits from the top shelf.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh, no doubt, once the scholarships are equal to everyone else's, God, who wouldn't want to be here. Everyone...I don't care who they are, are in total awe of this building once they step into the Ralph. Then if they get to take a peek before a game and see the facilities that are for the two hockey teams they are taken back again. Oh well it's just a shame for the girls who are building the program to be left out of "what will be".

This said, I do believe that this is an NCAA "governor" on a new program, not part of any business plan.  Can't have the new kids growing too fast, too quickly, and beating up on the old sisters.

Sioux will be a womens' powerhouse as soon as they are allowed to do so.  Rivard, and The Ralph, not to mention the great education, will be sure to draw recruits from the top shelf.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A school can add 50 scholarships a year total for men's and women's sports. (NDSU added about 20 to FB, maxed out men's BB/women's BB and a few other women's sports) There are no NCAA rules telling UND they cannot fully fund women's hockey. They are probably waiting until they raise they money as the UND AD is currently use tuition waivers to "fund" women's hockey.