SiouxSports.com Forum

How long will it take?

01grad

She may be doing a great job...but from what i hear from the girls on the team that they really really dislike her. Over heard one girl say, if shes gonna be here the rest of my career, ill be looking for a differnt school. I know you shouldnt always "love" your coach, but you should get along. I know one girl who turned down an offer from UND for womens hockey, because of the coach. In addition one girl on the team, talked to the coach a couple weeks ago about transfering schools or stop playing here....maybe its not the coach, maybe the girls have a bad additude and dont wanna work.. i dunno!

I know nothing about womens hockey, but I was disappointed to read in the paper today that UND couldn't land the Marvin girl from Warroad who won Ms. Hockey. Because UND has not proven anything on the womens level and has limited scholarships, I realize landing blue-chippers is extremely difficult. But I think given the family connections, that is one blue-chip player UND at least had a chance to land, but failed to do so.

I was thinking the same thing.  Grandchild of Cal and going to MN?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The MInny men's team also had a Marvin as a goalie a few years ago. Though I'm not sure that UND really recruited him. In fact, he may have walked on at MN.

I know nothing about womens hockey, but I was disappointed to read in the paper today that UND couldn't land the Marvin girl from Warroad who won Ms. Hockey.  Because UND has not proven anything on the womens level and has limited scholarships, I realize landing blue-chippers is extremely difficult.  But I think given the family connections, that is one blue-chip player UND at least had a chance to land, but failed to do so.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There was an article in the Herald about mid-January regarding Ms. Marvin. I found the article archived on the Herald website, but wasn't willing to pay $2.95 to access it.

Anyway, if memory serves, she stated that UM was the right fit for her and that is where she wanted to go. I believe she also stated that although Warroad is closer to UND, that didn't factor in her decision because she wanted to be a Gopher.

Looking back, my thoughts were that it appeared that playing for UM was always her goal.

My memory isn't great though, so I could be way off. If so, I apologize.

The ladies just split with Bemidji, so now they're 7th and playing Duluth in the playoffs, should be a pretty tough series...I heard the same rumors, about some players wanting to quit, and players not being happy with the coaches. I'm sure there's more to this story then any of us know, or will know, but considering they have only won 6 games this season, something must be going on.

From what I've heard, Alyssa Johnson from Fergus Falls will be playing for the Sioux women next year. She plays extremely offensive defense, so that should be a plus to the team.

I hope things with the coach get sorted out. It's hard to give it your all when you can't respect or don't like your coach.

I think a huge problem on the team is coaching. I know a few girls on the team and they have conflicts with the coach.

It does suck for the girls who started the team because we all know that the time the team finally starts getting better, they will be long gone. Its cool that they all got to be a part of the first women's hockey team here at UND.

And who knows what will happen in the first game of the playoffs... stranger things have happened... I mean look at last year when they played the gophers (10-1) going to playing them to a 4-2 loss just recently!!! If they are all there... there's no way anyone should underestimate them.

I think a huge problem on the team is coaching.  I know a few girls on the team and they have conflicts with the coach. 

It does suck for the girls who started the team because we all know that the time the team finally starts getting better, they will be long gone.  Its cool that they all got to be a part of the first women's hockey team here at UND. 

And who knows what will happen in the first game of the playoffs... stranger things have happened... I mean look at last year when they played the gophers (10-1) going to playing them to a 4-2 loss just recently!!!  If they are all there... there's no way anyone should underestimate them.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree...If everyone shows up and plays their game the way they can...anything is possible. Go Sioux!

they're a newbie to the league and I don't think a 7th place finish is a suprise...wait until they get the scholly $$ up and they'll be fine

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think 9 wins, to tell the truth, is a spectacular record for a first year WCHA team regardless of gender.

No, it's nothing to write home about regarding title hopes, but I think it really does prove that the coach is the right choice in getting things off the ground.

I think the girls have to be handed a lot of credit as well, although they might not be happy with their head coaching, they seemed to try and push through it. Considering the teams they have had to face, they put up a good fight, even though the scores were high sometimes. It also probably isn't easy being overshadowed by their "big brother", the men's team, and it must be frustrating trying to follow in those footsteps, but I believe they'll get there someday. It's just hard for the girls playing now, because they will probably never see those rewards.

How about those girls? Bringing Duluth, ranked 2nd, to a 3-2 overtime win is huge, for basically any team in the WCHA, especially in playoffs. My hat goes off to them all, for perhaps not a regular season they would have liked, but a valiant effort in their playoff game. Looking forward to next year ladies!

If you look at their 4-2 Sunday game loss against Minnesota and then their 3-2 overtime loss to UMD in the tourney, it shows that they have some great potential. Especially if you consider they are only loosing 2 seniors. This next year should be a GREAT ONE!!!!! I look forward to them competing for the top half of the conference this next season.