SiouxSports.com Forum

Be like Boise St?

star2city

From a junior college, to D-II, to D-IAA, to DI, and maybe to a BCS position, in the last 40+ years, no other school has accomplished more upward movement in football. Although Boise St. lost their undefeated season in the Liberty Bowl to Louisville, Boise St. should be looked at as a template for any school with football ambitions. It took $’s, $’s, commitment, $’s, a great local economy, growing population base, and $’s. Although this is a long article, just how a school formerly known for its vocational training was able to progress to the big-time is interesting, and should be worth reviewing for any school considering moving up:

Is Boise State the next BYU?

From a junior college, to D-II, to D-IAA, to DI, and maybe to a BCS position, in the last 40+ years, no other school has accomplished more upward movement in football.  Although Boise St. lost their undefeated season in the Liberty Bowl to Louisville, Boise St. should be looked at as a template for any school with football ambitions.  It took $

I think a better example for a school to follow is Troy (State).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

(unnamed source - forgive me :( )

So why has Craig Bohl been touting the Boise State model to bison backers?

Does NDSU have a time frame for a IA move? Has their model been adjusted after the lastest Big Sky news?

The University had been focused on Troy State who made the move from D2 to DI as it was a program we were relatively familiar with.

There are things to learn from Boise State and I think more focus may have been placed on them lately due to our recent experiences with the Big Sky (bastards).

• 2 weeks later...
He probably has plans for a DIa move down the road.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

???;):D

If you've been in the Twin Cities lately - you might have seen the latest KSTP (?)news promo running there...where LOU GRANT threatens to send his "potential" news producers to FARGO!! :0:sad: if they continue to produce a crappy news item...guess your're NOT the center of the universe after all :D

PS -- Since you're SO GREAT!! Why not surpass EVERYONE and just go division D -- that's more than "DI-A" or what are are now "di-aa"...YOU guys could REALLY BE AHEAD OF THE CURVE by declaring your own NEW DIVISION!!!!! :sad:

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

An exceptional article (in a college newspaper, of all places) about the University of Idaho's difficulties after their move to IA football. There are a lot of lessons for UND here.

Trials and Tribulations of Idaho Vandal Athletics

Lesson 1: Get facilities in order

Rather than lamenting on its failures, Boise State set itself up for future success by getting the proper facilities in place. While Idaho was winning, Boise State was building.

With a strong, stable and committed administration, along with impressive facilities, the Broncos hit the ground running when they made the switch to Division I in 1996.

(unnamed source - forgive me :lol: )

So why has Craig Bohl been touting the Boise State model to bison backers?

Does NDSU have a time frame for a IA move? Has their model been adjusted after the lastest Big Sky news?

This has been a topic of discussion by NDSU backers and on the blogs for quite some time. The general opinion that I've read on the SU side is that several years in the Gateway and Mid-Con are needed before even considering such a move. During the frustration of finding conferences for its teams, this topic came up a lot. It has calmed down somewhat since the Gateway came with the invitation. On the other hand, I could see NDSU making the next jump somewhere out there. I don't doubt that UND could do the same. But Bohl isn't the first person to bring up DI-A status. And obviously, Bohl will bolt for a bigger program when he finds the right one. It's just a matter of 'when.' He's an amazing coach, and he would certainly be qualified to be at the next level.

• 2 months later...

Broncos cash in: Fiesta Bowl a big part of BSU's $5.2 million payday

Interesting financials as a result of Boise St's BCS appearance, as all non-BCS IA conferences benefitted. Of the $100M annual BCS pot, the non-BCS conferences received $18 mill rather than $9 million because of Boise State's appearance. Boise State made off with $4.5 mill as a direct result of its Fiesta Bowl game.

Each WAC school gained $319,000 by watching Boise State play.

WAC Conference Revenue to be distributed:

Year-end distribution (NCAA BB tourney, TV, WAC tournies): $5.3M

BCS guarantee money, to WAC: $0.922M

BCS quarantee based on performance, to WAC: $1.228M

BCS money with Boise State qualifying: $6.00 M

WAC Distribution to schools:

Boise State: $5,222,400

Fresno, Hawaii, LaTech, Nevada, SanJose: $1,247,400

Newcomers: Idaho, NMxSt, UtahSt: $947,400

By comparison, a Big Sky school receives ~100-150 k, while the SEC distributes around $10M to each member.

The three newcomers were assessed a $600,000 expansion fee when they joined the WAC in 2005-06. Their year-end checks were reduced last year, too, and will be docked for the final time next year as part of a three-year payment plan.

With the WAC only charging $600,000 per school for admittance, it does make one question why both the Gateway and the Summit charged both NDSU and SDSU $100,000 for admittance and $500,000 for an exit fee. The Summit/Gateway fees are exorbinant relative to what those conferences pay out. If NDSU left both conferences for the Big Sky (as an example), they'd have to pay a cool million (500k to each conference), and then have to pay an entrance fee to the Sky. Both the Summit and Gateway must have had a perception that one or both of the SU's would bolt for bluer skies, if the opportunity presented itself.

Broncos cash in: Fiesta Bowl a big part of BSU's $5.2 million payday

Interesting financials as a result of Boise St's BCS appearance, as all non-BCS IA conferences benefitted. Of the $100M annual BCS pot, the non-BCS conferences received $18 mill rather than $9 million because of Boise State's appearance. Boise State made off with $4.5 mill as a direct result of its Fiesta Bowl game.

Each WAC school gained $319,000 by watching Boise State play.

WAC Conference Revenue to be distributed:

Year-end distribution (NCAA BB tourney, TV, WAC tournies): $5.3M

BCS guarantee money, to WAC: $0.922M

BCS quarantee based on performance, to WAC: $1.228M

BCS money with Boise State qualifying: $6.00 M

WAC Distribution to schools:

Boise State: $5,222,400

Fresno, Hawaii, LaTech, Nevada, SanJose: $1,247,400

Newcomers: Idaho, NMxSt, UtahSt: $947,400

By comparison, a Big Sky school receives ~100-150 k, while the SEC distributes around $10M to each member.

With the WAC only charging $600,000 per school for admittance, it does make one question why both the Gateway and the Summit charged both NDSU and SDSU $100,000 for admittance and $500,000 for an exit fee. The Summit/Gateway fees are exorbinant relative to what those conferences pay out. If NDSU left both conferences for the Big Sky (as an example), they'd have to pay a cool million (500k to each conference), and then have to pay an entrance fee to the Sky. Both the Summit and Gateway must have had a perception that one or both of the SU's would bolt for bluer skies, if the opportunity presented itself.

Your suggestion that NDSU would leave the Summit/Gateway for the Big Sky has zero potential now or ever. The BSC would be a step down in both basketball and football, and it's in the wrong time zone. The Gateway is awesome and will be a possible stepping stone to the Valley. Not going to happen.

I could see you guys pursuing the Sky, but not the bison.

Your suggestion that NDSU would leave the Summit/Gateway for the Big Sky has zero potential now or ever. The BSC would be a step down in both basketball and football, and it's in the wrong time zone. The Gateway is awesome and will be a possible stepping stone to the Valley. Not going to happen.

I agree.....the Bison will never look at the Big Sky now. They are going to be in better conferences for both BB and FB.

star2city made no suggestion that NDSU would actually leave for the Big Sky, simply said if they did they would have to pay $500,000 to the Summit. His post seemed more directed towards what could be seen as an excessive buyout for NDSU to leave the Summit. Don't let that stop you though.

I agree.....the Bison will never look at the Big Sky now. They are going to be in better conferences for both BB and FB.

Huh, this guy would disagree with that assessment :)

I was the one that refered to the MidCon as the "Fat Chick"........but hey.......if ya gotta get laid by the Fat Chick......it's better than NO chick.......

And I still say the MidCon is not as desirable as the Big Sky, but you have to go with whom ever give you the invite......and in this case it is the MidCon and it will be a great home for the Bison......for now......

Oh, I agree with that. No doubt the Big Sky would be better, but it isn't realistic for now. On the otherhand, being in the MidCon with no Valpo may mean that the Dakota schools will have a decent shot each year at going to the NCAA......and I do like that.

That was before we joined the Gateway. I find it funny now that NDSU has a conference home in all sports and UND won't have any until 09 (FB) and nothing on the horizon in any other sport at this point in time, that talk still centers around NDSU. Both of NDSU conferences are in the midwest area and in our major recruiting areas. There's no up side to the BSC for NDSU.

That was before we joined the Gateway. I find it funny now that NDSU has a conference home in all sports and UND won't have any until 09 (FB) and nothing on the horizon in any other sport at this point in time, that talk still centers around NDSU. Both of NDSU conferences are in the midwest area and in our major recruiting areas. There's no up side to the BSC for NDSU.

Is it really that funny? :) NDSU's transition year was 2003-04. UND's is 2007-08. Your arrogance makes you forget that in July of 2003, NDSU didn't have any conference affiliations lined up. That is the equilivent point that UND is currently at in July of 2007. Considering that, I myself find it funny that you apparently hold UND to a much higher standard than you do NDSU. Actually I guess it is not all that funny, because I think most people do expect more from The University of North Dakota. ;)

Obviously, the Gateway and Summit felt that NDSU (and SDSU?) were at risk for leaving. Otherwise, they never would have each imposed a $500,000 exit fee if either leave within 10 years. Most conferences charge entrance fees, but little in the way of exit fees unless the school leaves on short notice. These Summit and Gateway conferences effectively reversed the fees. How did IPFW avoid exit fees? What did the Gateway charge Western Kentucky as an exit fee? Effectively Zip. What fees did the Summit impose on Valpo and Chicago State for leaving? Anything at all?

Here are three potential answers:

1. Chapman's public wooing of the Big Sky made the Summit presidents leary of NDSU's long-term commitment. From a Summit president thinking, if NDSU wanted in the BSC so bad, what assurance could they get that NDSU won't jump a few years down the road if a spot in the BSC became available. Answer: huge exit fee.

2. Chapman and Taylor had actually both talked about IA football with at least one IA commissioner, Wright Waters of the Sunbelt. This had been reported in the media. Gateway and Summit Presidents knew a IA NDSU would be incompatible with their conferences. How could NDSU show sincerity: huge exit fee.

3. Combination of #1 and #2. Comissioner Fullerton has actually been talking about IA Big Sky football: Bozeman Chronicle: BSC to IA football?. Maybe his talk is just to placate Montana from jumping to the WAC, but WAC like payouts to BSC members would almost pay for the move up. By offering associate memberships to schools like UC-Davis and Cal Poly (like the Sunbelt did for La-Monroe, FIU, FAU, and even Troy for a time while keeping WKy as a IAA member), IA BSC football could be possible early next decade. The Gateway and Summit leadership had to have heard this Big Sky info, too. Chapman had to tie NDSU's future to the Summit/Gateway with the exit fee guarantee in order for NDSU to get those conference bids. Even with the $500,000 exit fees, NDSU was approved by bare minimum in each conference. Could one have imagined the uproar if SDSU was voted into those conferences and not NDSU?

Obviously, the Gateway and Summit felt that NDSU (and SDSU?) were at risk for leaving. Otherwise, they never would have each imposed a $500,000 exit fee if either leave within 10 years.

It's only an eight year commitment.

Most conferences charge entrance fees, but little in the way of exit fees unless the school leaves on short notice. These Summit and Gateway conferences effectively reversed the fees. How did IPFW avoid exit fees? What did the Gateway charge Western Kentucky as an exit fee? Effectively Zip.

WKU fulfilled their contractual commitment of six years (only two less than NDSU's) to the Gateway Conference and avoided paying any exit fee. Nearly everyone 'in the know', including commish Patty V, knew that WKU would be moving to FCS as soon as, or very shortly after their six year contract expired. NDSU's exit fee will be effectively zip after eight years in the Gateway, which more than conveniently puts NDSU seriously looking at FCS in 2016 (which also coincides with initial plans of a 10-15 year move from DII to DI FCS, 2003->2016)

What fees did the Summit impose on Valpo and Chicago State for leaving? Anything at all?

Both of the above mentioned schools are additional reasons why the Summit League now imposed the exit fee.

WKU fulfilled their contractual commitment of six years (only two less than NDSU's) to the Gateway Conference and avoided paying any exit fee. Nearly everyone 'in the know', including commish Patty V, knew that WKU would be moving to FCS as soon as, or very shortly after their six year contract expired. NDSU's exit fee will be effectively zip after eight years in the Gateway, which more than conveniently puts NDSU seriously looking at FCS in 2016 (which also coincides with initial plans of a 10-15 year move from DII to DI FCS, 2003->2016)

I think you meant FBS (aka the BCS) above in each case that you said FCS.

(Get it right or people will jump all over you. :) )

I think you meant FBS (aka the BCS) above in each case that you said FCS.

(Get it right or people will jump all over you. ;) )

ROFLMAO- I stand corrected. :);)

Yeah, I meant FBS.

The weekend started at 2:00 this afternoon, and I've been trying to prep these Hacker-Pschorr bottles for *ahem* recycling.

I know......My western bias......but, the Summit or Mid-Con has more success and is rated higher in BB than the Big Sky. I just would like the opportunity to take a whack at Montana and Montana State every year. And....at the time I wrote that I would have never guessed that NDSU would get an invite to the Gateway. But, the Big Sky was my top choice back then (as opposed to a GWFC/Mid-Con pair).

The down side to the Gateway may be that it is so top heavy that the teams may just beat the hell out of each other every year. Could make it a challenge to get the autobid to the playoffs.