SiouxSports.com Forum

Be like Boise St?

star2city

Is it really that funny? :) NDSU's transition year was 2003-04. UND's is 2007-08. Your arrogance makes you forget that in July of 2003, NDSU didn't have any conference affiliations lined up. That is the equilivent point that UND is currently at in July of 2007. Considering that, I myself find it funny that you apparently hold UND to a much higher standard than you do NDSU. Actually I guess it is not all that funny, because I think most people do expect more from The University of North Dakota. ;)

Funny that UND fans are so concerned about NDSU's conferences and not about the search for their own! Get is right!

the Summit or Mid-Con has more success and is rated higher in BB than the Big Sky.

Not to knit-pick here, but in the last 8 years the Summit and Big Sky have taken turns in which conference has had the better RPI. The Big Sky has finished ahead of the Summit 4 times in 8 years, finishing as high as 14 in 2000 and 17 as recently as 2006. The Summit hasn't done any better than 21 in that time, and out of 32 conferences has rounded out the worst 5 conference RPI 3 times in the last 8 years. In the big picture, it has really been a wash as to which is the better Basketball conference. However the gap may widen with Valpo on the way out. The Summit has been known for basketball because they don't have football.

Not to knit-pick here, but in the last 8 years the Summit and Big Sky have taken turns in which conference has had the better RPI. The Big Sky has finished ahead of the Summit 4 times in 8 years, finishing as high as 14 in 2000 and 17 as recently as 2006. The Summit hasn't done any better than 21 in that time, and out of 32 conferences has rounded out the worst 5 conference RPI 3 times in the last 8 years. In the big picture, it has really been a wash as to which is the better Basketball conference. However the gap may widen with Valpo on the way out. The Summit has been known for basketball because they don't have football.

I agree that the loss of Valpo is not helping the Summit.

I get the feeling that a lot of Bison fans have erased the years 1991-2003 from their memory. ;)

Oh really? 10 DII NC in that time span. You see dave there are more sports than fb and hockey that make up an athletic dept. Oh I forgot the NCC All Sports Championship our last year! :lol:

True as that may be, I personally don't pay attention to those other sports. As for my comment about the Bison and the years 1991-2003, I was referring to Bison football. Bison football fans love to brag about all those national championships that they won back in the '80s and they love to brag about the current I-AA team they have. Conveniently, they tend to ignore that 13 year period in between. Too funny.

You normally judge a college sports program by the sucess of all their programs, but dave you think what you want. Have a nice weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

Fresno Bee: WAC hits pinnacle after long journey

The WAC can take a pounding, can't it? It's the Timex of college conferences.

There's a Disney cartoon where Goofy is completely overmatched against the Black Knight. You've seen it. As Goofy is about to be vanquished, he shrinks into the fetal position inside his body plate. So the Black Knight hammers away at it with a variety of weapons, one of which was a jackhammer, if memory can be trusted. The knight, of course, gets tired and sweaty and falls over exhausted as Goofy pokes his head out into the cheer-filled arena.

The WAC has that kind of resilience. Think about this: It was just eight years ago that the WAC was 16 schools. Eight schools decided to leave. Supposedly, the best eight at football. Put it this way, the eight that were left wanted to go with those eight.

You don't want to reward that kind of behavior with free publicity, but rumor has it those eight started the Mountain West Conference.

And here we are, eight seasons later and the WAC -- a conference that has been plundered, pillaged, jackhammered, stripped for parts and abandoned along an interstate in a Denver suburb -- is better than the conference that supposedly took its heart.

The WAC had two of the top eight Heisman finishers. It had a team in a BCS bowl. The WAC had the better record against the Mountain West, head-to-head, and that was with Fresno State taking a well-earned break from quality football.

The WAC had the team winning the Fiesta Bowl in a fashion that defied description. How spectacular is the Grand Canyon? Umm, well, you kinda need to see it yourself.

It was the WAC where football players propose to cheerleaders who say yes. It was the WAC on national morning shows in New York. It was the WAC winning two ESPYs this week and getting to bask in the whole thing again.

In a five-year period, the WAC was Dear-Johned by Air Force, BYU, Colorado State, New Mexico, Rice, San Diego State, SMU, TCU, Tulsa, UNLV, Utah, UTEP and Wyoming. It takes determination to get rejected by that many average-looking women and still keep going to nightclubs.