SiouxSports.com Forum

Recruiting News?

siouxcool

jloos, The best of those guys (Goren, G. Potulny) are like gold.  If you can find the right ones, you should definitely bring them along.  The question for me is which of the guys are the right one or ones.  For instance, it could be tough to take Loos if you could get a guy like Boll, who is scoring well in the USHL.  Then again, maybe with a year in the USHL Loos could prove to be as good or better.  I've never seen Boll and barely seen Loos, so I have no idea.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cary Eades. Jim Archibald! :huh:

I've never seen Boll either, but he'll be in the USHL All-Star Game Feb. 8 at the Ralph. As a side note, the influence of NHL scouts on selections for the game are obvious. For example, from Green Bay, John Mitchell is selected (6'5" LW, 18 games, 0 goals, 1 assist), but Brad Miller is not (5'11", 10 goals, 11 assists). I'm not saying Miller has been an all-star this year, but come on..

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cary Eades. Jim Archibald!  :0

I've never seen Boll either, but he'll be in the USHL All-Star Game Feb. 8 at the Ralph. As a side note, the influence of NHL scouts on selections for the game are obvious. For example, from Green Bay, John Mitchell is selected (6'5" LW, 18 games, 0 goals, 1 assist), but Brad Miller is not (5'11", 10 goals, 11 assists). I'm not saying Miller has been an all-star this year, but come on..

Forgive me if you are already aware of this but I think a large % of the team is selected specifically by the pro scouts, the rest by merit of play.

The again, this could be another one of those times I'm way off base. :huh:

Forgive me if you are already aware of this but I think a large % of the team is selected  specifically by the pro scouts, the rest by merit of play.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You are absolutely right dagies. I just think that the over-emphasis on size by some of the NHL scouts is bordering on lunacy..

[i guess it is a question whether you prefer the old "Canadian" game of physical play or the European style of skating and passing. I much prefer the European style. You brought up the NHL, which should go to the larger ice surface. I would rather watch Europeans like Federov, Larionov, Forsberg, Jagr free wheel than Tie Domi, Marty McSorley and the Flyers/Maple Leafs style of beat the crap out of the opposition hockey any day.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Have to disagree on this one. On Olympic sized ice what have your Europeans won lately. North American skill rules these days and the two players you cited are only role players. Did you catch Team Canada at the WJHC. Yes they had the brawn but skill won the day for them.

Have to disagree on this one. On Olympic sized ice what have your Europeans won lately. North American skill rules these days and the two players you cited are only role players. Did you catch Team Canada at the WJHC. Yes they had the brawn but skill won the day for them.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with you, and I should rephrase. :huh: The Canadians have been known to play both styles equally well. Gretzky and Lemieux exemplify the skating, passing. However, as Goon correctly notes, there is also the Don Cherry style Canadian hockey, which is to beat the crap out of the opponent. The Flyers and Leafs play this style, and the old Flyers (remember the game where the Russians skated off of the ice?). However, I still believe that Olympic size ice favors the players with better individual skills (skating, passing and stickhandling) and the smaller ice favors the bigger, more physical player. I much prefer the Herb Brooks/Dean Blais style to the old Gino days. And yes, I was at every world junior game. Clearly, the Canadians were more skilled, but the smaller ice sheet also helped them. It would be interesting to see the 2 Russian stars on a larger sheet of ice where they are not getting pounded every shift.

• 2 weeks later...
Per Heisenberg, TJ Fast has committed to Denver. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If the Sioux still need another defenseman, I hope they take another hard look at Moorhead's Jon Ammerman. Ammerman has seen his stock go up and down the past couple of years, but he has some tools that are hard to come by. He is a tremendous skater who will join the rush and make plays on the offensive end. He isn't real big, but he is strong and tough. He was outstanding last night in the Spud's win against Centennial. His style of play is similar to Centennial's RJ Anderson, or former Gopher Keith Ballard. I'm not saying he is as good as they are, but he has some of the same skills--and not many do. He probably needs a year in the USHL, but I think he will be a very good D-1 player

When I watched the Sioux vs. Bemidji Friday night, I was struck that the Sioux were not outskating Bemidji and that they didn't have the overall tremendous speed advantage that I've come to expect against "lesser" teams.

There are a lot of players out there and not enough room to get them all.

Les Reaney, according to the USCHO article, wants to come to UND, but where would he fit?

The article also mentions Joe Finley (D; Sioux Falls) as being interested in UND.

Others mentioned but not in relation to any school: Chay Genoway, Drew Fisher, Jon Ammerman, and two players from familiar programs (Trotter from Lincoln and Chad Morin of the US NTDP)

There are a lot of players out there and not enough room to get them all.

Les Reaney, according to the USCHO article, wants to come to UND, but where would he fit? 

The article also mentions Joe Finley (D; Sioux Falls) as being interested in UND.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think they should find some room for him. 75 points in 45 games is pretty solid.

Reaney is older than most of the big time prospects. I think last year guys like Kyle Greentree that won the BCHL scoring race got to go to places like Alaska Fairbanks. Why? Because they might have dominated at the junior level but may have had a deficiency that could hamper them at a higher level of competition. I remember reading that some of those older, big time scorers had weaknesses with skating, etc that could really hurt their ability to be effective at a D1 level.

If the Sioux are reluctant to offer a kid who's scoring at a high pace, my guess is it has to do with a weakness in his game, or attitude. I don't know anything about Reaney, so I'm not making any judgements on him. But there's usually a reason a guy is already 20 years old and no one's knocking his door down.

Reaney is older than most of the big time prospects.  I think last year guys like Kyle Greentree that won the BCHL scoring race got to go to places like Alaska Fairbanks.  Why?  Because they might have dominated at the junior level but may have had a deficiency that could hamper them at a higher level of competition.  I remember reading that some of those older, big time scorers had weaknesses with skating, etc that could really hurt their ability to be effective at a D1 level.

If the Sioux are reluctant to offer a kid who's scoring at a high pace, my guess is it has to do with a weakness in his game, or attitude.  I don't know anything about Reaney, so I'm not making any judgements on him.  But there's usually a reason a guy is already 20 years old and no one's knocking his door down.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It seems strange, given the scoring he is doing. Many of the BCHL message board posters scoff at Reaney, and make fun of him being fat, etc.

Course, what do message board posters know anyway? We've gained a boatload of questionable posters here this year, many with sioux-fan like usernames, who do little more than flame the Sioux, including one posting in many threads today (scorengoren), not to mention the poncho, lefty, and sal combo.

It seems strange, given the scoring he is doing. Many of the BCHL message board posters scoff at Reaney, and make fun of him being fat, etc.

Course, what do message board posters know anyway? We've gained a boatload of questionable posters here this year, many with sioux-fan like usernames, who do little more than flame the Sioux, including one posting in many threads today (scorengoren), not to mention the poncho, lefty, and sal combo.

Yes, I'm giving a personal opinion based on things I've picked up over time, some which would come from "official observers" like message board posters! :lol:

Another Fats Fournier? :D:lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I remember a fattie name Arneson that played for SCCC and everyone game him a hard time about his weight and low and behold last season he was playing in the NHL last year with Chicago and doing well.