SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux vs. Team USA (WJC)

UMDDogz

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry...I couldn't get the USA lines straight, except for O'Sullivan, Callahan, and Stafford.

Overall, UND played well and did not get outplayed at all. Even UND's 4th line of Marvin, Bina, and Foyt had some flurries and numerous chances. The biggest factor was USA has snipers/finishers, UND does not. The story of the season for UND.

It was UND's third game in 3 days = fresh legs an advantage for USA. It was USA's first game together as a team = systems advantage for UND.

Sorry...I couldn't get the USA lines straight, except for O'Sullivan, Callahan, and Stafford.

Overall, UND played well and did not get outplayed at all.  Even UND's 4th line of Marvin, Bina, and Foyt  had some flurries and numerous chances.  The biggest factor was USA has snipers/finishers, UND does not.  The story of the season for UND. 

It was UND's third game in 3 days = fresh legs an advantage for USA.  It was USA's first game together as a team = systems advantage for UND.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not to mention one of UND's best players was playing for the other team. ;)

USA has some bugs to work out. In the first period there was a shift where they only had three guys on the ice. Later, their penalty had ended and they still only had four guys on the ice.

USA's first goal was a great thinking play on the drop pass to Suter, but the puck bounced off a leg or skate and went right too him.

The forecheck by USA was very good. They were sending in two players. I'm not sure how well that will work against a team like Russia. Though the Sioux seemed to handle it all right. No major turnovers, it just took a little longer to get out of the zone.

UND was cycling the puck very well and got many passes through to the middle cutter. It just always seemed like we couldn't quite get a perfect shot off. USA needs to work on the defense in their zone.

The skill on USA is very good. Some of the stick handling moves were amazing. It should be a fun tourney.

I thought the Sioux played pretty even with USA, USA has the snipers who put away their opportunities. I would say the Sioux probably had as many or more legit scoring chances as USA but Montoya was tough. I was surprised that the Sioux were able to stay in it in the 3rd, I told my dad after the 2nd that I could see this get out of hand because at the end of the t2nd it looked like the sioux legs were getting a little wobbly. For Team USA, O'sullivan and suter both looked like future NHL superstars!! Very impressed with Brian Lee, glad we are going to get his services(for how long is anyone's guess). He made one real nice play with Murray coming in on him 1 on 1....stood him up and rode him all the way to the boards...HARD. Jones layed a couple nice smacks on Stafford---looked like they were both laughing after 1 of them. Schneider put the wood to O'sullivan on a nice open ice check. The USA Defence looked pretty good with the exception of Borer who looked very out of place even against a makeshift line of Foyt, Bina, and Marvin, I would guess he will be the 7th D for the tourney.

Team USA looked very much like a team which has had only two practices under their belt. In fact, North Dakota outplayed them except for a couple of glaring defensive breakdowns on which USA capitalized.

If USA does not substantially elevate their game they can kiss the medal round goodbye. This game was a snoozefest.

USA was outshot and outworked by a college team which had played its 3rd game in 3 days and was playing a day game after a night game without its best player. This does not bode well for the Americans.

If USA does not substantially elevate their game they can kiss the medal round goodbye.  This game was a snoozefest.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Sioux did look tired and they were without four forwards, one of whom is their third leading scorer and contributed two assists to the other team. But they also had the advantage of having played half a season together under their current coach.

The US team clearly had the edge in depth and the level of talent. With more practice and more time playing together, it will get better.

It's way too early to make predictions based on an exhibition game that players on both teams knew was little more than a scrimmage.

I thought Lee looked real good out there.It looked to me like he fit right in with the team,and I'm guessing he should see plenty of ice time.He is going to look real good in green and white next year.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There is probably an unnamed Goofer fan snapping because Lee looked good on the ice. There goes the theory of Lee not belonging.

When Likens received the equipment penalty for playing without a helmet  there were some comments made -- best one basically was:  his hair is a crime and for that alone he deserves a penalty.  :D  :0

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Then we'd best hope that Greene doesn't try to play sans helmet :D

I can only comment on a couple of guys: Hensick and Montoya. I've watched Hensick a few times this season and he is very good. Pure gold with the puck. Montoya had a great WJT last year which clearly elevated his draft status. Apparently his numbers are pretty good thus far, although I have a bad feeling that this year's WJT is gonna be a bit different for him.