SiouxSports.com Forum

Early Signing Period

The Sicatoka

Considering the early signing period starts in under 24 hours ....

"Gentlemen, start your fax machines!" :silly:

UND should be pretty busy considering what they will (and may) have to replace:

Brandt

Canady, Fylling, Genoway, Massen, McMahon

Fuher, Jones, Schneider

and maybe Stafford or Greene (or others?).

Considering the early signing period starts in under 24 hours ....

"Gentlemen, start your fax machines!" :silly:

UND should be pretty busy considering what they will (and may) have to replace:

Brandt

Canady, Fylling, Genoway, Massen, McMahon

Fuher, Jones, Schneider

and maybe Stafford or Greene (or others?).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The way that Stafford has played I don't see him going anywhere.

So which if these guys from Heisenberg's site are expected to officially sign:

Andrew Kozek-LC (10/1/04) Surrey (BCHL) 5'11 175 6-8-86 58-19-22-41-67

Matt Watkins-LC (9/26/04) Vernon (BCHL) 5'10 175 11-22-86 2004 SMHL

Zach Jones-RD (7/26/04) USNDPT U-18 Team 5'11 175 1-14-87

Chris Vandevelde-LW (6/8/04) Moorhead 6'2 180 3-15-87 (for 2006)

Brad Miller-LW (3/12/04) Green Bay (USHL) 5'10 170 1-31-86

T.J. Oshie-LC (2/5/04) Warroad 5'10 165 12-23-86

Brian Lee-RD (2/3/04) Moorhead 6'2 180 3-27-87 2004 USA U-18 team;

Ryan Duncan-RW (12/18/03) Salmon Arm (BCHL) 5'6 155 7-14-85

Taylor Chorney-LD (10/23/03) Shattuck St.Marys 5'10 170 4-27-87 2004

I believe they hae verbally committed but have not offically signed. Is this right?

So we have 5 forwards and 3 defensemen at least leaving after this year. The list above shows 6 forwards and 3 defensemen. I'm guessing we'll get a couple of others too.

Of the ones above who is expected to contribute right away?

So which if these guys from Heisenberg's site are expected to officially sign:

Andrew Kozek-LC (10/1/04) Surrey (BCHL) 5'11 175 6-8-86 58-19-22-41-67

Matt Watkins-LC (9/26/04) Vernon (BCHL) 5'10 175 11-22-86 2004 SMHL

Zach Jones-RD (7/26/04) USNDPT U-18 Team 5'11 175 1-14-87 

Chris Vandevelde-LW (6/8/04) Moorhead 6'2 180 3-15-87 (for 2006)

Brad Miller-LW (3/12/04) Green Bay (USHL) 5'10 170 1-31-86 

T.J. Oshie-LC (2/5/04) Warroad 5'10 165 12-23-86 

Brian Lee-RD (2/3/04) Moorhead 6'2 180 3-27-87 2004 USA U-18 team; 

Ryan Duncan-RW (12/18/03) Salmon Arm (BCHL) 5'6 155 7-14-85 

Taylor Chorney-LD (10/23/03) Shattuck St.Marys 5'10 170 4-27-87 2004

I believe they hae verbally committed but have not offically signed. Is this right?

So we have 5 forwards and 3 defensemen at least leaving after this year. The list above shows 6 forwards and 3 defensemen. I'm guessing we'll get a couple of others too.

Of the ones above who is expected to contribute right away?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oshie and Vandeveldie are coming in 06. Lee depends on how quick he heals from knee surgery. I believe Kozek and Watkins were recruited so they could come in next season. I would think Duncan would be another for sure next season. I have no idea what the plans are for Chorney and Miller. It looks like the Sioux will need at least one to come in next season.

Here's how I see it, based on my earlier assumptions that Miller and Oshie would be coming in '05:

Forwards

1. Prpich - Sr

2. Murray - Jr

3. *Stafford - Jr

4. Porter - Jr

5. Fabian - Jr

6. Spirko - So

7. Zajac - So

8. Kaip - So

9. Kozek - Fr

10. Watkins - Fr

11. Duncan - Fr

12. Oshie - Fr

13. Miller - Fr

Defense

1. *Greene - Sr

2. Marvin - Sr

3. Bina - Jr

4. *Foyt - Jr

5. Smaby - Jr

6. Radke - So

7. Chorney - Fr

8. Lee - Fr

9. Jones - Fr

Goalies

1. Parise - Jr

2. Lammy - So

Conceivably we have enough players. 13 forwards isn't enough but 9 D is too many. I make the assumption that Foyt is a walk-on. Therefore, nothing is promised to him and I am not including him on the projections for next year.

Now, back to my assumptions that Greene probably leaves, and that we lose one of the Murray/Stafford combo. Now we're down to 7 D and 12 Forwards. I think we can use some senior leadership on D from Marvin (who I've thought plays respectably in that role).

Now, I think you do one of 2 things. If you can land a STUD defenseman yet, then you do that and Marvin becomes a Forward again.

Assuming you can't, then you still need at least a couple of forward recruits. Maybe even 3.

AND we need a 3rd goalie. I'm assuming this will be a throw-in player.

So, IMO, it looks like we still probably need 2 Forwards and either 1 D or 1 F, and a goalie.

Here's how I see it, based on my earlier assumptions that Miller and Oshie would be coming in '05:

Forwards 

1. Prpich - Sr 

2. Murray - Jr 

3. *Stafford - Jr 

4. Porter - Jr 

5. Fabian - Jr 

6. Spirko - So

7. Zajac - So 

8. Kaip - So 

9. Kozek - Fr 

10. Watkins - Fr

11. Duncan - Fr

12. Oshie - Fr

13. Miller - Fr

Defense

1. *Greene - Sr

2. Marvin - Sr

3. Bina - Jr

4. *Foyt - Jr

5. Smaby - Jr

6. Radke - So

7. Chorney - Fr

8. Lee - Fr

9. Jones - Fr

Goalies

1.  Parise - Jr

2.  Lammy - So

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They do need to sign a goalie for next season, that is one position I haven't heard any talk about.

I doubt Greene will be back next season, and Oshie has been told he's coming in 06 so that does leave the Sioux strapped. Foyt and Marvin can move up and play on the fourth line if need be, but I still expect the Sioux to look for 1 or 2 more forwards for next season.

Dagies - Do you really think Foyt is a threat to leave early?

I wasn't really suggesting he would leave early. Just that as a walk-on his roster spot might be available for a player who had a better chance to crack the lineup on a regular basis. This is just my own opinion, so don't read more into it than that.

It also isn't a knock on a guy who would appear to be working very hard to keep his spot.

I wonder how Edmonton scouts are grading Matt Greene's performance these days.  It's hard to tell how he's progressing since he's never on the ice!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hard to get any ice time sitting in the penalty box.

Hard to know about Stafford, but Greene's playing style is really made for last year's NCAA and pro level. It's not made for the new rules.

I say he's counting the days to signing. You can quote me on this: NO WAY will he be here next year.

As for Chorney, he'll be here when he graduates high school... so if that is in the Fall, then he'll be here.

Back to subject matter: Early Signees.

FightingSioux.com has reports up already for mens and womens basketball. We must be close. (OK, it could still be a week.)

And now mens baseball has an early signees release too.

I'm guessing that we'll be waiting until Thursday or Friday.

VandeVelde and Oshie sign

GRAND FORKS, N.D. - The University of North Dakota hockey team announced the signing of Chris VandeVelde of Moorhead High School and T.J. Oshie of Warroad (Minn.) High School.

VandeVelde, a senior forward, totaled 43 points on 19 goals and 24 assists last season for a Moorhead team that lost in last year's Minnesota Class 2A state final.

UND coach Dave Hakstol said VandeVelde and Oshie may defer enrollments at the school to the 2006-07 season.

Looks like the Hak is planning to go with this lineup next year

Forwards

Prpich

Marvin

Fabian

Stafford*

Murray

Porter

Kaip

Spirko

Zajac

Miller

Watkins

Duncan

Kozek

1 more recruit

Defense

Greene*

Bina

Foyt

Smaby

Radke

Lee

Jones

Chorney

Goal

Parise

Lammy

That's 14 Forwards, 8 Defense and 2 in Goal.

Hak allows that Greene and Stafford could leave which would leave us a bit shorthanded it would seem.

You need to have 3 goalies or you'll wear them out in practice. I'd expect a spring signing (or walk-on). Is there somebody who wants to "Kollar" to Lamoureux's "Goehring"?

I'd like to see a 15-8-3 roster. Based on dagies list that means I'd be looking for two forwards to sign in the spring.

Why two forwards? If someone signs early that'll put the roster back to 14-8-3. (If Greene signed I'd move Marvin back to defense.) What this doesn't account for is if more than one non-senior leaves the team early.

It seems that Hak has two forwards waiting in the wings (forwards, wings, get it? :) ) but for 2006.

But I'm not running the team so I'll sit back and watch. However, if Hak's lookin' for low-cost roster advice .... :D:lol:

While Blake Wheeler may be good, I don't see him dominating the WCHA, especially in his first year, and let's face it, if he does-- he's gone. I am trying to come up with really big players who have dominated the WCHA. I don't consider Lee Goren a really big player. Most of the guys I worry about have been smallish players like Ballard, Bonin, Crowley etc. I am sure other fans would say the same of Blake, Panzer, Parise, Greg Johnson, Tony Hrkac, etc. Heatley is probably an example of a big player dominating, but he didn't dominate beyond some of the small players. Anyone else have examples of bigger players dominating?

You need to have 3 goalies or you'll wear them out in practice. I'd expect a spring signing (or walk-on). Is there somebody who wants to "Kollar" to Lamoureux's "Goehring"?

I'd like to see a 15-8-3 roster. Based on dagies list that means I'd be looking for two forwards to sign in the spring.

Why two forwards? If someone signs early that'll put the roster back to 14-8-3. (If Greene signed I'd move Marvin back to defense.) What this doesn't account for is if more than one non-senior leaves the team early.

It seems that Hak has two forwards waiting in the wings (forwards, wings, get it? :) ) but for 2006.

But I'm not running the team so I'll sit back and watch. However, if Hak's lookin' for low-cost roster advice ....  :D:lol:

I agree. I don't remember which thread I had posted this poor excuse for an analysis a couple weeks ago but I thought the same things. It's a bit thin. I was thinking a couple more forwards and maybe even a defenseman depending on who is available. This list is strictly going off Hak's comments that this is his class with the addition of one more recruit they are looking at. I suppose that doesn't preclude a spring signing, but sounded kind of definite.

Maybe he's willing to go a bit shorthanded next year in order to keep from having such a huge class. Then bring in a couple additional the following year.

You've hit exactly on the flip-side of the conversation:

I'd guess Hak wants to get away from having a large class bulge like we have now (9 seniors, only 3 juniors) and is trying to smooth it out. (About six recruits per year seems like a better way than 10 one year and a couple the next.)

And here we all thought running the team was just about standing behind the bench and lookin' sharp in a suit. :):lol:

Adding to that thought. The Sioux won't replace nine outgoing Senior with a huge freshmen class unless they get nine commitments that they really want. If there are only six players that the Coaches think will compete at the level they need, that is what they will bring in. Especially if that gives them a flexibility to bring in more players from the next seasons recruiting class.

Contrary to what many of my fellow fans think, I don't think the Sioux would bring in players for next near just to discard them the following season if there are better recruits coming in.

Contrary to what many of my fellow fans think, I don't think the Sioux would bring in players for next near just to discard them the following season if there are better recruits coming in.

You know, I was going to give you you-know-what for your WI sweep prediction and then you say something nice like this. :lol: