SiouxSports.com Forum

ESPN

Sioux fan since '90

Did anyone else see the comment made on sportscenter last night about the Sioux being referred to as the Hawaiian football team? What the he$$ was that all about!! Was this a slam by ESPN, or simply stupidity? If they referred to it as a joke, I WASN'T LAUGHING!! :silly: I wasn't very happy with the comment at all! It looked highly dissrespectful to me, especially for such a highly watched sports program.

Did anyone else see the comment made on sportscenter last night about the Sioux being referred to as the Hawaiian football team? What the he$$ was that all about!! Was this a slam by ESPN, or simply stupidity? If they referred to it as a joke, I WASN'T LAUGHING!! :silly: I wasn't very happy with the comment at all! It looked highly dissrespectful to me, especially for such a highly watched sports program.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wouldn't be too upset, take a look at the U of Hawaii's uniforms. They are quite similar.

http://uhathletics.hawaii.edu/

They were poking fun at Hawaii last night, because they only scored 3 against Boise St. What they said was that BC hockey outscored Hawaii. I don't think it was appropriate of them, but at least they show some college hockey highlights.

ESPN has always hated all of our athletic programs. When our Women's Basketball team was winning National Titles in the 1990's, the 4th string announcers they put on the air always rooted against us. Same with the 2001 FB National Title game; they were getting all excited about a Grand Valley State victory right before "The Play" put us on the one yard line, setting up the game winning TD. And who could forget the Doug Flutie love fest back in 2000 during the Frozen Four championship game. At least we got the last laugh on THAT one! :D:D:)

Screw ESPN and their cheesy, hype-filled style of sports reporting! :silly:

We know what the team should be called and that's all that matters!

GO SIOUX!!!

ESPN is a east coast station.  They have east coast bias.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is exactly the case. I thought it stands for Eastern Sports Promotion Network.

It's actually just basketball (especially college) with alternative programming wrapped around it. They would show more hockey if it didn't take away from such quality programming as "I'd Do Anything," "Dream Job," and the blockbuster "sport" "World Series of Poker."

ESPN is just like every other network out there: Out for the ratings. Why is Shaq still in the news? Why is the Yankees getting as much or more press than the Red Sox? Why is there more commercials for Poker than there are for ANY sport combined?

Ratings. It's all ratings. More population density in the area where they are from: New England (Bristol, Connecticut to be exact). Therefore, more viewership.

It doesn't matter who is #1 as long as the viewership is large. That's why ESPN was at a loss a few years back when St. Louis went to the Super Bowl against the Titans. Neither team had a large market area. It was therefore some of the best sportscasting I've seen. Same thing when Oklahoma came out of nowhere a few years back to win the DIA Football title. That's what made our NC in 2000 so great. When ESPN is faced with acknowledging a superior team in a low market area, they do so only begrudgingly. Therefore, victory for those areas are 100 times sweeter.

ESPN sucks. It's life, but at least we saw some highlights of hockey.

And who could forget the Doug Flutie love fest back in 2000 during the Frozen Four championship game.  At least we got the last laugh on THAT one! :D  :silly:  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't you be hating Doug Flutie. He has nothing to do with it. He was just rooting for his team.

• 4 months later...