SiouxSports.com Forum

Exhibition vs Mayville (11/1)

SWSiouxMN

Went to the game on Monday. Lets just say I know someone from Mayville who knows the team good there and they didn't think it would be close (figured UND would win by 20+)

Some thoughts on what I saw on Monday night

1) This team has no Identity! They have nobody to lead and take over the game. It seems like all 5 starters were waiting for someone to do something with the ball. Sueker didn't really get going until the second half.

2) 3 point shooting (3-15-20%).....why is it that that Sather can't get a shooter on this team????

3) Free Throws (11-19-57%)....Year after year it seems this team has trouble making free throws. Even have costs them games.

I know its still early in his UND career here but the more and more I watch and see what Sather is doing and bringing in for talent I'm not sure he was the right hire. Yes i know coaches don't get paid well here and all that. We'll just have to see how the rest of the season turns out.

On 11/2/2021 at 5:02 PM, SiouxFan100 said:

I didn’t see the game. Just radio

i am sure mayville has some good players 

my expectations of our team would be our 10th best player would start for someone like mayville - maybe fourth of fifth best player for mayville 

reasonable expectation??

Brady Danielson wouldn't even start for Mayville. I don't know how he is playing D1 basketball.

19 minutes ago, GoHawks said:

Went to the game on Monday. Lets just say I know someone from Mayville who knows the team good there and they didn't think it would be close (figured UND would win by 20+)

Some thoughts on what I saw on Monday night

1) This team has no Identity! They have nobody to lead and take over the game. It seems like all 5 starters were waiting for someone to do something with the ball. Sueker didn't really get going until the second half.

2) 3 point shooting (3-15-20%).....why is it that that Sather can't get a shooter on this team????

3) Free Throws (11-19-57%)....Year after year it seems this team has trouble making free throws. Even have costs them games.

I know its still early in his UND career here but the more and more I watch and see what Sather is doing and bringing in for talent I'm not sure he was the right hire. Yes i know coaches don't get paid well here and all that. We'll just have to see how the rest of the season turns out.

Sather can coach

its a matter of the players he CAN get.

7 minutes ago, Kab said:

Sather can coach

its a matter of the players he CAN get.

Is this where someone will bring up the imaginary cold front that lies somewhere between Fargo and Grand Forks? Or the supposedly "tropical climate" of Montana vs. North Dakota? :silly:

There is absolutely no reason why we cannot recruit quality student-athletes to a school like UND, with all the opportunities it offers.

41 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Is this where someone will bring up the imaginary cold front that lies somewhere between Fargo and Grand Forks? Or the supposedly "tropical climate" of Montana vs. North Dakota? :silly:

There is absolutely no reason why we cannot recruit quality student-athletes to a school like UND, with all the opportunities it offers.

I agree, but what is the reason we lose players to other schools, I don’t know that answer

im too old to know what young kids are looking ,for when they choose a school

9 hours ago, Kab said:

I agree, but what is the reason we lose players to other schools, I don’t know that answer

im too old to know what young kids are looking ,for when they choose a school

I don’t post here often, but the answer to this is simply not being able to string great seasons together and put together a winning culture. It’s the same reason WIU and Denver can’t get them. Location and climate are extremely overrated when talking about recruiting. “If you build it they will come.”

I liked the Sather hire at first but it’s very obvious that he had no interest in almost all of the guys he didn’t recruit from day 1 and thought he could do better. Brought in a few guys that have zero business playing d1 ball and tried to band-aid that mistake through the portal with minimal success. He’s in over his head in my opinion.

Winning at Northern State(an established successful program) is not the same thing as winning at UND(a program that needs building) and I’m 100% positive that Northern and any other top 20 ranked d2 team right now could come into GF and wipe the floor with UND right now. It’s tough to not be frustrated with the state of the entire athletic department at the moment. Very few things to cheer about.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, UNDFan2577 said:

I don’t post here often, but the answer to this is simply not being able to string great seasons together and put together a winning culture. It’s the same reason WIU and Denver can’t get them. Location and climate are extremely overrated when talking about recruiting. “If you build it they will come.”

I liked the Sather hire at first but it’s very obvious that he had no interest in almost all of the guys he didn’t recruit from day 1 and thought he could do better. Brought in a few guys that have zero business playing d1 ball and tried to band-aid that mistake through the portal with minimal success. He’s in over his head in my opinion.

Winning at Northern State(an established successful program) is not the same thing as winning at UND(a program that needs building) and I’m 100% positive that Northern and any other top 20 ranked d2 team right now could come into GF and wipe the floor with UND right now. It’s tough to not be frustrated with the state of the entire athletic department at the moment. Very few things to cheer about.

You nailed it!

I believe Sather can coach and is good technician of the game but getting back to the recruiting that is another story.  Its just not Sather but assistant coaches that also have to have those skills and connects to help a build a program.  I was sad to see Mihailovic leave the program because he had helped bring players like Rebraca and several other players for UND but i am sure he had better opportunity elsewhere.  Its finding those diamonds in the ruff and developing them so far Sather hasn't been successful in finding these players for the  program or been  able to keep them on the team. Contrary to what many you think on this board coach Jones before him had pretty good record on finding talent and developing what he recruited. Rebraca, Geno Crandel, Hooker, Marlon Stewart, Seales, Walter, Avants, Anderson, and Huff to start naming a few that came in became good players and some had careers after UND are examples of talent Jones brought in developed here.  If  UND is to get to be power in the Summit Sather is going have to start getting these type of players. This years recruiting class i hope he has few of these players in the mix so we can start building this program. To be fair the last two years its hard to judge  because of Covid with so many restrictions on travel and how kids have been playing games to find and being able to recruit has hurt coaches especially new coaches like Sather moving up division. I hope to see some diamonds in ruff with this year recruiting class but time will tell on that front. After this year this team will all be his recruits with last of the Jones recruits graduating he will be held accountable for the team on floor so this year and next year are what he will be judged on if he can coach at the division i level bring in talent to compete with other schools in conference.

On 11/6/2021 at 2:13 AM, ND-fan said:

I believe Sather can coach and is good technician of the game but getting back to the recruiting that is another story.  Its just not Sather but assistant coaches that also have to have those skills and connects to help a build a program.  I was sad to see Mihailovic leave the program because he had helped bring players like Rebraca and several other players for UND but i am sure he had better opportunity elsewhere.  Its finding those diamonds in the ruff and developing them so far Sather hasn't been successful in finding these players for the  program or been  able to keep them on the team. Contrary to what many you think on this board coach Jones before him had pretty good record on finding talent and developing what he recruited. Rebraca, Geno Crandel, Hooker, Marlon Stewart, Seales, Walter, Avants, Anderson, and Huff to start naming a few that came in became good players and some had careers after UND are examples of talent Jones brought in developed here.  If  UND is to get to be power in the Summit Sather is going have to start getting these type of players. This years recruiting class i hope he has few of these players in the mix so we can start building this program. To be fair the last two years its hard to judge  because of Covid with so many restrictions on travel and how kids have been playing games to find and being able to recruit has hurt coaches especially new coaches like Sather moving up division. I hope to see some diamonds in ruff with this year recruiting class but time will tell on that front. After this year this team will all be his recruits with last of the Jones recruits graduating he will be held accountable for the team on floor so this year and next year are what he will be judged on if he can coach at the division i level bring in talent to compete with other schools in conference.

I don’t think anyone doubted Jones could recruit a bit or he at least had some solid assistants that could (Coach G) but the man got out coached nearly every game it seemed. Sather has brought in some decent talent but hasn’t been able to retain it. I have some high hope for this most recent class with Bruns and Matthews and then add in Tsotne and Norman in the sophomore class.