SiouxSports.com Forum

Homecoming Game Day Atmosphere

coltssiouxfan

Hey y’all I know yesterday was a rivalry game but how do we get the atmosphere in the Al to always be like that? Like why can’t we be making noise on every down when we are on D and making it hard for opponents.  Why can’t we be really into the game? I’ve been a STH for 9 years and haven’t really felt that energy except maybe one other time.  How do we get fans invested and making noise and draw larger crowds every game? Make the Al difficult to play in again.  

10 minutes ago, coltssiouxfan said:

Hey y’all I know yesterday was a rivalry game but how do we get the atmosphere in the Al to always be like that? Like why can’t we be making noise on every down when we are on D and making it hard for opponents.  Why can’t we be really into the game? I’ve been a STH for 9 years and haven’t really felt that energy except maybe one other time.  How do we get fans invested and making noise and draw larger crowds every game? Make the Al difficult to play in again.  

Winning the game would have helped…

I don’t know the answer but that atmosphere was fun. I was standing and yelling on every single one of NDSU’s plays and most of the other fans were too. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, F'n Hawks said:

Winning the game would have helped…

I don’t know the answer but that atmosphere was fun. I was standing and yelling on every single one of NDSU’s plays and most of the other fans were too. 

Same! At the same time even if we would have won I’d guess we would have still have 10K in attendance for homecoming. I mean we just won a Missouri Valley Conference Title and I think we had 10K against Drake.   Idk to me we always seem hesitant to get into football here. 

Of coarse winning is part of the equation.

Getting fans to understand when it is appropriate to make noise.
The band needs to not get in the way with their tunes.
The band playing when we have the ball also gets the crowd to making noise right up to a snap.
The big screens and Alerus speakers also need to adhear to the home team noise ethics.
Cheer leaders and cheer groups can help educate the not so schooled fans.
Etc.

I did notice a notice on the big screens about "being quiet", so someone is starting to try to get it right. There are many appropriate opportunities to screem like hell.

• Upvote 1

Quantity gets you home field advantage quality, just don't see that we have the numbers in our fan base to bring that kind of atmosphere every home game - especially among our student body. Frustrating how the band and sometimes the piped in music does not understand that they should be quiet when we are in our offensive huddle, they have the hockey-game mindset, which is to play right up until the snap or in their mind puck drop. 

• Upvote 1