SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux vs. Duluth

Let'sGoHawks!

Will this weekend's matchup against another Bulldog team be similar to last weekend? I don't know how Duluth will react to the Alerus Center, they probably have seen nothing like it. I predict a big Sioux win. Does Bubba know the Sioux well enough to prepare the dogs for this game?

35-14 Sioux.

The Alerus Center crowd will scare the crap out of UMD.  I know I was shocked at he crowd noise when I watched the UND/SCSU game last year.  (what a depressing game)

This one will get ugly.  UND 48 UMD 7. 

UND could score 100 but has much more class than Pittsburg State!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That was by far the best game ever played at the Alerus Center.

It will be interesting to see how well prepared UMD is. They may not have the players to stop every play but it will be interesting to see if they are in the right spot to stop a play. In an interview Coach Lennon said that there isn't much that they can or are going to change to combat the great knowledge that our former D cord. has. I think that storyline will be fun to follow.

Ok enough. We all think the Sioux are going to win by a lot (ah hem...Sioux FB players - don't get cocky.)

What I am interested in seeing is if Belmore can build upon last weeks performance and develop into a reliable starting QB. If the Sioux are to advance deep into the playoffs, Belmore must become confident in his abilities to lead this team. From all accounts, he is a talented QB and has a bright future. Unfortunately Bowenkamp's injury pressed him into a role that is extremely challenging (albeit enviable.)

Thankfully Mussman is in control of the offense (along with the best head coach in D2) and will do whatever he can to put Belmore in the best position to suceed. The defense is the best in the country and must prove it every play to keep the pressure off of the offense. However Belmore is going to have to make big plays if this team is to return to Florence, but more importantly he must not make mistakes in key situations.

If Bowenkamp is not to return (I'm praying for healing power) the defense must improve every game and hold opposing teams to under 20 points. Belmore can't make big mistakes and must develop into a confident leader of this team.

Ok enough.  We all think the Sioux are going to win by a lot (ah hem...Sioux FB players - don't get cocky.) 

What I am interested in seeing is if Belmore can build upon last weeks performance and develop into a reliable starting QB.  If the Sioux are to advance deep into the playoffs, Belmore must become confident in his abilities to lead this team.  From all accounts, he is a talented QB and has a bright future.  Unfortunately Bowenkamp's injury pressed him into a role that is extremely challenging (albeit enviable.) 

Thankfully Mussman is in control of the offense (along with the best head coach in D2) and will do whatever he can to put Belmore in the best position to suceed.  The defense is the best in the country and must prove it every play to keep the pressure off of the offense.  However Belmore is going to have to make big plays if this team is to return to Florence, but more importantly he must not make mistakes in key situations.

If Bowenkamp is not to return (I'm praying for healing power) the defense must improve every game and hold opposing teams to under 20 points.  Belmore can't make big mistakes and must develop into a confident leader of this team.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would agree UND is favored but I would temper my enthusiasm due to the QB situation. Belmore played poorly against Central Washington and sucked against Augie and St. Cloud. He had happy feet, missed reads, couldn't get the play run when the coaches were slow getting the play in and missed a wide open receiver that would like have led to the winning TD. On that play he didn't have pressure. He also didn't exploit the two true FR. conerbacks St. Cloud had.

Has anyone noticed Manke is 13 of 16 for 138yds, 2 TDs and no Ints, no fumbles and 2 rushes for 14 yds. His pass efficiency rating is 194.95. If you add last years stats he is 19 of 23 with two of those dropped. He also got the team to the line of scrimmage with a sense of urgency when the assistant coaches were slow getting the plays in.

Belmore has thrown 7 int's and his efficiency rating is 134.52. Lest you think Manke was playing against the oppostion backups when he has been in, that was only for the last drive against Ferris. He has played with the UND two's for the most part. In high school he led a team with mediocore talent to the state title throwing for over 300 yds in the championship game and outdueled the guy who starts now for Wisconsin in the quarter finals.

He is a better QB than Belmore. Even if the coaches (who are there and I am not) think Belmore is better, how could they not have gotten him into the game against St. Cloud. Belmore played better last week and certainly deserves to start until he screws up again, but I hope they give Manke a series in each of the first two quarters Saturday to get a better feel for what he can do when the game is on the line.

The other thing Belmore needs is a bit of tutoring on what to say to the media. He was still commenting that the defense didn't play well against St. Cloud when he was interviewed after the Ferris game. If our QB had played as poorly as he did and he made that comment he would have gotten his butt kicked.

I trust the coaching staff to start the best QB...period. Manke's stats may look good, but he has not played when the game is on the line. Let's remember Belmore is a freshman. To think he is going to be great this year is unrealistic. The same would go for Manke if he were playing. His media comment was also a freshman mistake and he has teammates on offense that would protect him from unruley, arrogant defensive players upset with him. Like I mentioned earlier, the defense cannot afford to meltdown as they did in the second quarter against St. Cloud. The offense is not and most likely will not be good enough to make big time fourth quarter comebacks.

The coaches have chosen Belmore as the starting QB. If he plays poorly again as he did against St. Cloud, Lennon will play Manke. However if Belmore continues to show promise, he will be the starter. He has five games of experience, which goes along way in the NCC.

I have seen them play in every game except Augie and the spring game. I don't think we would have lost the St. Cloud game had they let Manke play in the second half. He is more poised and throws a better ball. Last year during the Friday practice, before the title game in Florence, I asked Travis Lueck who the best of the young QB's was and he said it was "close but Manke threw a more catchable ball". I trust the coaches to pick who they think the best kid is but sometimes they're slow to admit they may have been wrong. I agree Belmore is making Freshman mistakes. The problem is, he is a Sophomore.

My mistake. However I don't think it changes my analysis. Klancher and Klosterman both started as sophomores and had their share of growing pains. That was there first year as starters - same as Belmore (Klancher did have some big game experience as a freshman.)

We will see what happens. I know the Sioux cannot afford another lose and so does the coaching staff. If Belmore doesn't perform you will get your wish. I'm just curious to see if Belmore can mature from week to week. He has a chance to build upon a good performance.

Can/could Bowencamp get a medical redshirt if he doesn't play the rest of the year?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't believe that he can. He was unable to participate in spring ball because you only have a certain number of semesters to complete your eligablility. He has already has a regular redshirt and a medical redshirt. He would be out of semesters, which is why I think they have left him on the PAT team. Technically he has played in every game this year.

I think Bowenkamp has already used his redshirt year (I heard that on the radio someplace), so he is out of options.

As for which young quarterback should start, I like both of them and if Lennon wanted to make a change I wouldn't object. But I'd like to point out that Bowenkamp was a junior last season and a lot of fans (including myself) were not pleased with his performance early on. I think we are all a little spoiled from watching Kelby Klosterman for three years. I don't know if any of our current quarterbacks will be as good as Klosterman was, but I think we are in good shape for the present and future. This year, I think the equation is simple:

Great Defense + Great Special Teams + Solid Offense = National Title

I think the addition of Weston Dressler to special teams will raise the performance of that unit several notches. Add to that the best defense in D-2 and all the offense has to do is be solid, opportunistic and not turn the ball over. I think that if the offense develops some consistency (like they did last year), this team will be tough to stop come playoff time.

I'm not worried about the Duluth game, the one game I am concerned about is at Omaha in a couple of weeks. The Mavs aren't as good as they usually are, but we haven't won down there since 1995. And I don't think we've ever played all that well down there, either. If we can get past that game, I think we'll be in good position for the playoffs.

Bowencamp can't get a medical redshirt anymore. It would have been nice to see the two Sophs learn and develop with him as the starter. Hopefully, he will get a chance to come back healthy.

For the sake of the team, I hope Belmore gets a lot better each game because he is the starter right now and he was OK last game. They also have a redshirt Fr from Wisconsin that is supposed to be pretty good. In addition to seeing Manke get a series or two early, I hope Carney gets to play more.

UND has had a bad habit of not playing their backup QB's much since the Roger Thomas days. Most recently, they didn't give Rislov much time and he left. I do trust the Sioux coaches, but Rislov did well enough too start at the real DI level and excelled. I would hate to see the Sioux lose Manke and also the pipeline from Detroit Lakes to UND. They should be loaded again in about two more years.

Bubbas boys sound like they are a little beat up coming into this one and they weren't that good to begin with. Real thin at some positions, including D-line and WR, for sure. This one could be a one-sided affair I am afraid.

UND 34

UMD 7

Lennon will keep the scoring in check for obvious reasons.

I seem to like bullets this morning.

• UMD gave Nebraska-Omaha a bit of a run at UNO (24-38 final, Bulldogs rallied for 3 fourth quarter TDs -- can anyone think of any other team prone to taking a lead then having periods of massive meltdown?)
  • The Sioux could have a bit of a letdown after manhandling the other Bulldogs (my favorite Eblen observation: "Ferris could have played all week long against UND and not scored a point.")
  • Bubba knows the Sioux
  • Bulldogs are pretty dependent on the run, which the Sioux are pretty good at stopping
  • I can never bring myself to call any NCC game a "gimme"
  • The Sioux D put together 4 full quarters last week
  • The Sioux QB situation looked a little less dire last week, though Ferris wasn't exactly applying pressure
  • As mentioned elsewhere, UMD was kind of pathetic against Moorhead
  • Alerus = -7 points opponents, +7 points Sioux

UND 31

UMD 17

I seem to like bullets this morning.
  • UMD gave Nebraska-Omaha a bit of a run at UNO (24-38 final, Bulldogs rallied for 3 fourth quarter TDs -- can anyone think of any other team prone to taking a lead then having periods of massive meltdown?)

• The Sioux could have a bit of a letdown after manhandling the other Bulldogs (my favorite Eblen observation: "Ferris could have played all week long against UND and not scored a point.")

• Bubba knows the Sioux

• Bulldogs are pretty dependent on the run, which the Sioux are pretty good at stopping

• I can never bring myself to call any NCC game a "gimme"

• The Sioux D put together 4 full quarters last week

• The Sioux QB situation looked a little less dire last week, though Ferris wasn't exactly applying pressure

• As mentioned elsewhere, UMD was kind of pathetic against Moorhead

• Alerus = -7 points opponents, +7 points Sioux

UND 31

UMD 17

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If the Sioux were to win by just 14 (or less), I'm going to be pretty concerned about the rest of the year. One thing I really like about this team so far is that with the exception of the Delta St. game, none of the home games have really been close. True, Mesa turned out to be far worse than anyone could have predicted, but still the overall home schedule has been pretty decent and the Sioux have taken care of business and haven't needed to mount any comebacks or last-second field goals for wins. If UND can play the way it's capable, I like for all three remaining home games to be Sioux wins by 20-plus points. The talent differential between UND and UMD, MSU and USD should be pretty substantial, and that talent differential should only be magnified by playing at home.