SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ Maine

Smoggy

Thoughts after the game:

Some weird bounces at that rink and I loved the comment by the intermission CSTV guys. Pregame one said that Maine had the best atmosphere. At period break the other said they were disqualified because of the Thunderstix. :blush:

It's good to see the interference/hooking/and even diving be called. I thought this was one of the better reffed games. Sure nobody wants to watch penalty after penalty, but the ref followed the rules (even on the 5 minute major for injury to the head). The ref also made the correct call on OT. The Maine player tried to knock the net over from behind.

I don't think anything was too surprising. D had some lapses, and the O isn't quite there. I liked our hitting and pressure. Also, it didn't surprise me that we couldn't score on the PP. Keep in mind that a couple of those weren't full length.

The only truly surprising thing was that we were giving up short handed breaks again. One break away, almost a 2 on 0, and there were at least three 2-1 chances for Maine shorthanded. I think we need to take the forward off the blue line for now.

Good to know our big guns scored. McMahon played very hard. Even his five minute major was a hard check.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking back, the "right" players scored tonight:

McMahon - from Kaip & Prpich

Schneider - from Bina & Fylling

Murray - from Genoway & Spirko

Stafford - the hero

If I had to pick players before the game, this would be pretty close. Good gritty win, boys. Clean it up for Saturday and we'll win by 2.

Go Sioux!

Just a few thoughts after watching tonite's CSTV prouduction....

Glad to see the Sioux get off to a good start but the opening period was painful....It looked like a scrimmage of 5x3's followed by a constant stream of hooks, holds, etc. Low Flow!!!

Hopefully the leagues are serious and the refs will consistently make calls so the players can adjust. The second period was much more entertaining, a lot of up and down action....

Consistency-wise, it was good to see calls made at the end of regulation and in overtime...

I'm looking forward to watching more games on CSTV, although their production of the games is reminiscent of the St. Clown Technical College games on Channel 8/45.

Alfond Arena reminded me a lot of the Old REA, fans were right on top of the ice and going nuts....

The Sioux PP was brutal; it seemed like no one had defensive responsibility if the puck happened to get tipped out of the zone...Maine had a couple of jail breaks short handed....

JParise played well tonite; gave up one 5x3 and the other was the funky carom off the boards behind the net...

I'm excited about the freshman; heard a lot of new names all over the ice....

Oh, and the penalty shot in OT, well it doesn't get much sweeter than that...

See ya tomorrow... Go Sioux!!!

I think the officials are going to have to use some discretion on penalties. That was not a fun game to watch at all. Didn't even get a good look at Zajac and Kaip because they don't kill penalties. If this is a glimpse of things to come, the Sioux better get their powerplay in order, because special teams will win our league, not 5 on 5 play. I am much more confident that the Sioux are better than a lot of teams even up, but less so on the powerplay. Still plenty of time to improve though, only one week into the season. I'm concerned that many clean hits that are a bit harder than average will be called penalties due to a perception that they need to clean things up. With the size of our defense, I would like to use that to our advantage, but it could turn into a disadvantage if our defensemen's elbows are head-high to begin with. Don't need to worry about Bina though. All in all, an ugly win, but nonetheless a good win.

Way to go Fighting Sioux. Giving Davey, Cary, and Brad a Big W in their first game at the helm.

No matter how long, how ugly, or how frustrating at times, a win over Maine, in Orono, is huge. No matter the circumstances.

Teams are forged by the mettle from close games on enemy ice. Killing the PP in OT, and notching a gamewinner to boot, is going to reap big dividends for us as we go through big games week in and week out.

I am sure that WCHA fans the league over are mighty proud of our boys tonight.

Hak didn't think the calls were bad tonight. "One or two" he didn't like, but the rest he thought were the way the game is supposed to be called.

I remember T.H. calling out excitedly when Greene "leveled" some players with a hit, so not every big hit was being called. However, the boys are going to have to keep it really clean this year. In the end, it should work out to UND's favor, as we have the best atheletes comapred to most teams.

A "W" in Maine is hard to do. Congrats, Sioux. Let's go for 2!

I thought the refs were really allowing both teams to hit. The Sioux were especially hitting hard in the first. I can only think of two penalties for hitting. The major and the one on Green towards the end of the game. I think most of the calls were for hooking. More of the obstruction type.

I thought the refs were really allowing both teams to hit.  The Sioux were especially hitting hard in the first.  I can only think of two penalties for hitting.  The major and the one on Green towards the end of the game.  I think most of the calls were for hooking.  More of the obstruction type.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Right, the only times the refs called penalties for hitting was when the sioux players got their sticks or elbows up at the head. There is no excuse for this.

The penalties suck right now, but it will pay off in the long run. We have to be steadfast and resolute. We can not waiver.

All people did was whine about Parise being mugged last year. It's a problem fast skilled teams have complained about for years.

Regardless of our point of view, there's no dispute that our own players were at times guilty of doing the same thing in times of necessity.

Now the league wants to clean up that part of the game. Good for them! But we can't expect it to be an easy process to change years of how the game has been played and officiated.

We have to put up with some crappy looking games until everyone adjusts. I give credit to Coach Hakstol who complimented the calls the refs made for the most part. I didn't see the game but I think this is what we have to expect for a while.

Let's just give this process a few months to see how it works out before we start calling for more changes.

Judging from all the message boards complaints in all games played, the emphasis on getting rid of obstruction is happening, and players need to adjust.

Seemed from listening to the game that the hooking on the backcheck, which has become totally acceptable to players and fans and never gets called unless the hooked player takes a dive, is being called frequently. That's a big change but will ultimately benefit the Sioux because of their speed and short, accurate passing game through neutral ice.

Seemed that little was called in period 3 last night, so were players making adjustments or was the whistle swallowed?

Too bad having to get used to the rules while playing hockey east powerhouses like Maine and BC, but that's the way the schedule plays out.

Would have been nice to have these rules against the tackling Pios 2 years ago and the tackling Seawolves (can Mason change his ways?) last year.

McMahon - from Kaip & Prpich

Schneider - from Bina & Fylling

Murray - from Genoway & Spirko

Stafford - the hero

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I see Spirko has been credited for an assist on the Schneider goal as well.

Congrats to 'the Slav' for the 2 points last night.

Seemed that little was called in period 3 last night, so were players making adjustments or was the whistle swallowed?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Since they called a penalty w/ about 30 sec. left in regulation, and then a penalty shot in OT, I think we can rule swallowing the whistle out! :blush:

Well it's one down & one more to go last night's was great for me at least since the NHL has that bloody lockout (if you know what I mean). Well anyway let's go & finish the job tonight & then go from there. Some folks said that last night's game was aweful, ok with that said I can't remember who said it but a win is a win & i'll take that anyday. GO SIOUX

SIOUX FAN SINCE 1973

I am very skeptical that the Sioux will benefit from this obstruction crackdown. I guess time will tell. Let's just see how many times the Sioux have more powerplays than the opposition, and let's see how many times we have the benefit of the 5 on 3 for a full two minutes. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see us having an edge in the powerplay category. I can still see the marble theory come into play and evening out of calls, especially after the outcome of the game has been decided.

I wouldn't be concerned with us taking an obscene amount of penalties. The coaching staff is there to combat that, and the players will adjust.

What I would be concerned with is us taking advantages of the opportunities given to us.

0-8 won't cut it (*not without a penalty shot in OT :angry: )

Maine did take advantage of its 11 tries with 2 goals. Take those away and its 4 (or 3) to 1.

Getting it done on our side will help when we take our penalties.

All people did was whine about Parise being mugged last year.  It's a problem fast skilled teams have complained about for years.

Regardless of our point of view, there's no dispute that our own players were at times guilty of doing the same thing in times of necessity.

Now the league wants to clean up that part of the game.  Good for them!  But we can't expect it to be an easy process to change years of how the game has been played and officiated.

We have to put up with some crappy looking games until everyone adjusts.  I give credit to Coach Hakstol who complimented the calls the refs made for the most part.  I didn't see the game but I think this is what we have to expect for a while.

Let's just give this process a few months to see how it works out before we start calling for more changes.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hakstol and Whitehead did say in the pregame though that there are things that they have taught players for years that have become second nature that are penalties now, like a slight pick to rub a player out and to keep players from getting in on the defensemen too fast. They intimated that it could cause more injuries if they aren't allowed to do that because the forwards will be going a hundred miles an hour. I had no problem with the little stick checks and such, it was the complete mugging that went uncalled that was a joke. Stafford had a great stick check coming back last night and was called for a penalty. If you can't use your stick backchecking, good luck to teams playing Minnesota on the huge ice surface. IMO they are taking this too far and if tonight's game comments by posters are any indication, it is already totally inconsistent, depending on who the home team is. I know that giving the refs grief is par for the course for most fans, but I do think they went a bit overboard in the first period tonight and large portions of last night's game. If it was a little further into the year and Maine had their powerplay in gear, the game could have been over in the first ten minutes. Oh, and by the way, even though I know it is probably an automatic call in overtime, I didn't think Maine removing the net should have been a penalty shot. If someone had a wide open net I can see it, but it wasn't like the Sioux got a great shot to begin with.