SiouxSports.com Forum

GF Herald Editorial

CoteauRinkRat

They still don't get it. Yeah it would be nice, but it's just not going to happen without an increase in student season ticket costs.

Being Division I and supporting the not-so-popular (unfortunately) Title IX requirements (most of which are required because of our DI status), makes it impossible to pass the buck to the regular fans.

Fols, we aren't the big time here in Grand Forks, it still doesn't cost as much to take the family to the Ralph for a hockey game, but it is getting pretty darn close to NHL pricing. Some families are already priced out of the Ralph. I know this is a reality that cannot be avoided, but what the editorial states is just not feasible.

So the question stands, really, is: How much would you pay for student season tickets to get the two extra sections? Let me tell you this: If they agreed to do this for next season, I guarantee you the season ticket prices wouldn't be under $100.

What bothered me about the editorial was how they want to just increase the ticket prices of the non-student season ticket holders to make up for the lost revenue. I have no problem with increases every year, but it is going to start reaching prices that are going to be unaffordable for a lot of people if they do that.

Some key notes:

A united front by UND's 13,000-plus students could and should result in The Ralph boosting the students' supply of season-ticket seats.
They never say "lower bowl". The closest they say is:

There were about 1,000 season tickets set aside for students in 2001-2002; this year, there are just over 600.

Why not sell student season tickets in sections 308 and 309?

PS - Please note they also said:

Don't misunderstand. This has nothing to do with students' behavior in the stands; arena managers have every right to insist that fans "keep it clean" and avoid blocking others' view.

They never say "lower bowl". The closest they say is:

It does quote the Student Senate as saying they want "to increase the lower bowl season tickets to a figure that is more in line with the WCHA."

And the Student Senate wanted a working system in place to distribute tickets this year. Their wants and the realities they've created haven't meshed so well up to this point.

So let's assume the REA/UND comes up with a way to figure out the $$$ angle and continue to meet it's initial prime objective (making enough money so the building is self sufficient, remember?) while putting more students closer to the ice.

How do they go about moving the sorry suckers/non-students who have been paying big bucks all along? Don't get me wrong, I'm all for a united student section in the lower bowl (including the band) but this has turned into a giant cluster.

How come "money" didn't seem to be such a big issue in the old arena? You know what really sucks is that the UND Fighting Sioux are becoming North Dakota's NHL hockey team. Only the elite elite will be able to afford to go to a game.

Last year, I was in Grand Forks for the Subway Holiday "Classic." I decided to just stay for the semi-final games and skip the UND/Wayne State final. I couldn't sell the tickets so just before I checked out of my hotel room, I asked the desk clerk if he wanted to go see a game. He told me he had lived in Grand Forks his whole life and loved Sioux hockey, but couldn't afford to go to the games anymore and hadn't seen the new arena. I asked him if he would go if he had the chance and he replied "he** yea!". Then I dropped the tickets on the counter and wished him a Merry Christmas. I'm not nominating myself for sainthood or anything, but it really bothered me that a regular joe in Grand Forks could only dream of going to a game at the new arena. It's all about the almighty dollar these days. Right or wrong, good, bad, or indifferent, that's what it is about. This might be the first year in recent memory (I graduated in 1992 from UND) that I don't make a single trip back to Grand Forks for a game. I think I'd rather go catch a road series or two and see some hockey fans...not some beer-chugging-is-there-a-game-going-on-tonite-hey-I'm-on-my-cell-phone-corporate-arena-atmosphere. I can stay in Mpls/St Paul and go see that at Target Center or Xcel Energy Center.

Flame away...I know I'm gonna get toasted on this one by fans calling me a moron and telling me that they'll buy my tickets happily. Get this game back to what it's about...the true hockey fans and the students.

Flame away...I know I'm gonna get toasted on this one by fans calling me a moron and telling me that they'll buy my tickets happily.  Get this game back to what it's about...the true hockey fans and the students.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Amen brother, this has truly gotten way out of hand.

You're right, life isn't fair. But I sure as hell have the right to complain about it and to try to solve the problem. You seem to be saying that students should just shut up and quit complaining. Complaining about a problem and then trying to find a way to solve the problem sure seems like a good idea to me.

It should be first come first, served as you said. But right now it isn't. How exactly are we supposed to change this? By sitting back and saying "Well darn, that's too bad. I'm sure next year they'll change their policy though. We better not say anything or they'll get mad at us."?

I'm not even going to argue for more seats. I don't think the students deserve more seats. It would however be nice if REA/UND wouldn't have changed the original seating plan. They did though. Right now it is complete and utter bull that I, Wilbur, forecheck and whole bunch of other students can't get season tickets because UND/REA/whomever says there isn't a demand. UMM hello, 2500 students showed up to try to get season tickets 2 fridays ago, does that not contradict the idea that there is no demand?

Also I don't think students are demanding more seats, just better seats. I agree with Sicatoka's idea of asking for 20% of the seats in the lower bowl and 20% in the upper bowl. That makes sense and the only way to get that done is to talk about it with UND/REA. Sitting back and doing nothing won't get this done though. Students have to use resources, such as the GF Herald, to get this done. If no one knows about it, no one will get behind it and it is much less likely to happen.

I sit next to people that drive in both nights from Devils Lake in good weather and blizzards.  I notice empty seats in the student section on those cold nights and they only have to come across campus.  I cheer the whole game and LOVE the opportunity that I have that I get to do this.  The students have what they are going to get, just like the public does, we all need to get used to it.  Last I heard, there are still a couple hundred folks on the waiting list and some of them are mid to high FSC members, so I doubt that much will change for the students, at least to their satisfaction. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And there are many season ticket holders who live in Grand Forks who don't show either, who only have to drive ten minutes. You noticed empty seats in the student section? The upper student section is General Admission. UND students get first dibs, but then the rest go to whoever wants them, including yourself. Therefore we can also blame the non students for the empty student section (in the upper bowl).

He has rationale ideas and actually responds to students. Therefore, he can't be.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yup, I agree. students come and go and the complaints will eventually die away as the freshmen who come in become upper classmen as they have had it this bad since they came here and know it to be "how it is." Therefore, why listen to them?

Kupchella doesn't care about students until they become alumni anyways, so no support there.

Diggler is right. There will be no solution simply because the students are ignored and largely forgotten when decisions are made. No, I don't think we SHOULD get more lower bowl seats. I DO think we DESERVE more consideration when decisions are made. It would be nice to have more lower bowl seats, but the explanations I've given seem logical.

Diggler is right.  There will be no solution simply because the students are ignored and largely forgotten when decisions are made.  No, I don't think we SHOULD get more lower bowl seats.  I DO think we DESERVE more consideration when decisions are made.  It would be nice to have more lower bowl seats, but the explanations I've given seem logical.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Complain yes, but there is a fine line between complaining and whining. I understand I speak from a position of the "haves" because I have my season tickets and am in. But I have been on the out as I mentioned earlier. I have agreed that the students got shafted in the ticket distribution. As I said, I think it should be first come, first served AND it should be FREE, the students get gouged huge "activity fees" so why charge. Although the fee I'm sure keeps the fairest of fairweather fans away, but if it was free, that fairweather fan could instantly become a "diehard" if they were able to experience a game. The student government got flamed. I do not know them, but I remember reading in the Heraldo that only about 1,000 to 1,100 students voted in the last election. My understanding of the premise of student government is to represent their constituents (student body) so that they get that consideration in matters like this. I've been told that if you didn't vote, you have lost your right to complain. Now I don't know everybody's voting history here, but with less than 10% voting last year, I doubt everybody that is upset cast a ballot.

One quote was to the effect of we don't want more seat, we want better seats. Great, I want better seats too. I sat in the lower bowl last year for the Subway Classic for the Brown/Findlay game, it was like being in a different arena. Complaining is good IF you actually get up and get 'er done, without action you are whining. Vote, attend student government sessions, volunteer and get involved. And another thing to do is when the students that give the student section a bad name at the REA when they violate the rules, right or wrong, they are the current standards of conduct, put them in check.

I was thinking about this a bit and there's good points on all sides of this argument.

I do want to make one comment which is based on my perception so correct me if my facts are out of line.

When the REA was conceived the students had a larger portion of seats in the lower bowl. Then that was changed.

When the REA was opened students were required to quit standing (which apparently they had been doing at the old arena) full time.

Then a few more seats in the lower bowl were removed from the students to open up sight lines.

Then the students were told they had to clean up their cheering.

Then the signs were (too closely) monitored.

The ticket process is confusing and frustrating (at least this year).

Some of the things mentioned above are legit and proper and brought on by the students themselves. But in total, since the REA was opened, the student been put in the position of giving ground.

I ask a legit question from the outside because I'm not so familiar with all the details and goings-on: While all this has been going on have the students been given anything? Have they been made to feel wanted? Or has every step either been discipline, or at best a lesson in hard knocks?

If my perception is right, even though some of the difficulty has been brought on by the students themselves (clean up the vulgarity) it's not difficult to understand why the students would commonly feel "put upon".

Maybe all that is happening wouldn't feel like it hurts so much if UND/REA also took steps to make the students feel like they were an important and desirable part of the atmosphere.

Ok, point out where my flaws are....

That's exactly right. Students don't feel appreciated. Whether this is true or not doesn't real matter, it's how the students feel. It'd be nice if REA/UND did something to try to solve this problem. It doesn't seem like they will though. Letting students get season tickets in the upper bowl is one way to do this, it probably won't happen.