SiouxSports.com Forum

GF Herald Editorial

CoteauRinkRat

I wish we could go back to what we did at the old Ralph. Students stood in line the day of the game and first come first serve or in later years they picked them up that day at the ticket office. What seats didn't get used were sold to the public after the first period was half over. This way if you don't get tickets for one game, there was always the next one. It use to be just about as much fun in line as the game - and we were/are huge hockey fans. One of the reasons the student season tickets happend was so they could control the bad behaviors by removing the offenders for the season. Our students are doing great and I think it is time to change back.

Back in the day...wow...I am gonna sound like my dad with this comment...

In 1988, there was no such thing as student tickets or anything else. You stood in line and when the ticket clicker reached approximately 3,000, everyone else outside got to go back home. You snooze, you lose. I recall February 1989 when the Gophers came to town in what was probably -20 weather. A group of friends and I got in line outside the old Engelstad Arena at 3:00 pm and waited three hours for the doors to open. By the time 4:00 pm came, there were probably 1000-2000 fans in line and by 5:00 pm, I'd bet there were over 5,000 fans hoping to get in. The line extended all the way under Columbia Road and past the old Memorial Union and Library. Now THAT was dedication.

The problem now is plain and simple: MONEY. It costs money every time a discounted student is let into the arena, the arena is losing money because of the "discounted" priciing. So the powers-that-be essentially have two options:

1) Limit the number of students so they can sell more full-price tickets

or

2) Increase the number of students and raise prices thru the roof for everyone else to make up for the lost revenue.

Either way, someone loses, and that's what is sad about it. Now, even though I do feel sympathy for the students on this issue, it does seem like some of them feel they should be entitled to tickets into the games. Have you ever seen the people camping out at Duke for student tickets for their basketball games? It's not a lot different and the problem is supply and demand, simple economics. My last two years at UND (1991 and 1992), you couldn't GIVE away student ID's to people wanting to go.

What's the solution? I hope someone figures it out before it's too late. Like I've said before, though, get the focus off of the damn bars and silly side-shows going on and get it back on the hockey game.

I recall February 1989 when the Gophers came to town in what was probably -20 weather.  A group of friends and I got in line outside the old Engelstad Arena at 3:00 pm and waited three hours for the doors to open.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I got in line for the gopher game in 2000 at noon and it was that cold with the wind blowing right on us. My feet were defrosted by the second period. Holy crap did that suck. That's why I deserve tickets. I say if you are willing to risk losing your toes to frostbite, you automatically deserve tickets. ;):)

The problem is that REA won't do many of the things like what happens at Duke. They seem to say no to every suggestion students make. I don't think many students would have problems with first come first serve for every game. REA just won't do it though. That is what makes this nearly impossible. When 95% of your options are eliminated, you aren't left with much.

Also why is money such a concern now when it wasn't such a concern the first and second and third year at the new arena? Last year they allowed selected number of season tickets to be purchased in the upper deck. Before that I know they allowed more than 600 season tickets to be purchased. So why is it such a concern now? It's a smoke screen. There isn't a valid reason despite what they say. They keep rasing the price of normal season tickets and students ticket every years, yet despite this they keep losing more money every year? What the heck? Something about that doesn't add up.

Nice point, Diggler. In fact, I'm with you on a few of those. I never heard as much whining with the old arena as I do with the new one. The new one is pricing both students and joe fan our of existence. I doubt if Ralph Engelstad wanted to see NHL pricing for college hockey. At least I hope he didn't want to see that.

In the 89 and 2000 references to freezing half to death, did Dominos still deliver to the students in line? in 87 I saw Dominos deliver a couple of different games. Since we have no parking lot to tailgate in, this could be the "new" tailgate for hockey! Get some local establishments to sponsor it, get the radio stations to do remotes, give away some prizes, through up a tent to warm up and maybe a pizza place could sell some product. You can bet at -20 below we'd make Sportcenter! Someone earlier said that in the day the line was as much fun as the game, why not run with it! REA might make a buck and maybe they will cave on something! Think about it, could be huge!

I was there for the couch burning also. Standing in line was some of the funnest times when going to games at old Engelstad. Even the first year of REA people with tickets would stand in line to get the best seats. Now we have assigned seating?

I hope they think about going back to the old way. The benefits far outway the problems. People ordered pizza, cooked on little grills, burned coaches, danced partial naked, partied, froze their fingers and toes, had a good time and then were the best hockey fans in the country. The students loved it, had a great time and then caused the other fans in the building to respond in kind, the arena loved it cause their sales and attendance was at a premium, the area business benefited, an the team loved it cause they had the best fans around. Who didn't benefit?

I was there when the problem children caused the problems at REA when it first opened. A couple of bad apples spoiled it for everyone. I think REA should find a way to deal with "the problem children" and let us return to the ways of old....

Just thoughts from a old fart!