SiouxSports.com Forum

UND vs ST Cloud State

SiouxFan48

I think this game very may well be the NCC championship game........It will be interesting to see what SIOUX football team shows up on Saturday.........Either the one that throttled Delta..or the one that made Augie look like a National Contender..................

Its hard to gauge how good St Cloud really is.......Looking at their first 5 games doesn not say a whole lot..............Western Washington-Northern St.....Mankato...etc etc Not much competition so far this year

Alot of people posting thinking St Cloud will win this weekend...........I still think UND is a better team and should come away with a victory..........I think our offense will come out and actually play this weekend....and well our Defense always plays........I cant see St Cloud hanging to many points on our defense....The offense is going to need to score 21 points i think to win this game....I think if we can open up our passing game early....we should be able to go to the run later in the game and wear them down.....................

It will be an exciting game to watch......I still don't think St Cloud has played any competition this year.........not to say UND has either besides Delta.......should be a good one.........

Fighting Sioux 28-----------St Cloud State 10

This game is gonna be tough--they always play us tough and I think they are gonna be pumped up for this one. This is there chance at being on top and Hedberg has waited for this one for a long time (thought he had it last year but lost it late). I see a real tight one and hopefully we can pull it out!

GL Sioux.

yeah they will be tough they r the 2nd best team in the confrence....not like thats saying much minus UNC-NDSU-SDSU............really wish we were playing NDSU this weekend instead ......don't care if NDSU is better this year.......doesn't seem to matter which team is better when they play.....Im a Sioux fan for sure.....but last year NDSU had more talent then UND....LOok at the outcome of that game.......And NDSU has more talent this year.......but hey thats why they line up and play every weekend...ya just never know.............

Good Luck Sioux this weekend.......

Still think its going to be tough for ST Cloud to score much on us....at most i give them 2 touchdowns..............

Obviously the Sioux defense needs to keep Birkel under control. Two years ago, against a Sioux defense nowhere near what it is now, he ran wild. Last year, before he got hurt, he only had 37 yards on 10 carries. He reminds me a little of Josh Ranek. I think the run probably sets up the pass for them because I'm not convinced that their quarterback can win games like Heckendorf did. If the run isn't successful and the pressure falls on Kaczor (the quarterback) to carry the offense, I think he'll struggle.

What I'm encouraged about is that the last time UND played outside on grass against a team with a pretty high-powered offense was Grand Valley State in the championship game and we only gave up 10 points and under 300 yards. I think this year's UND defense is at least as good, and probably better than last year's, so clearly we have a chance to hold them under 20 points. If Belmore can play somewhat effectively and not throw picks, I think the Sioux have a pretty good chance.

This is the best team our Sioux have faced so far this season. It's also the toughest game we've played in so far this season. Despite all the fans who think we can't win without Bowenkamp, I think we can win this game if we execute in the following areas.

DEFENSE

1. Stop Matt Birkel cold. Don't just slow him down or contain him. Stop him cold. Make him a non-factor. If we can do that, we'll make St. Cloud unbalanced and less effective. Just like Josh Ranek and Lamar Gordon in previous years, shutting down the other team's top running back makes it easier for our defense to attack and disrupt the other team's offense. Remember NDSU in 2001? Once Gordon was neutralized, the Bison didn't have a chance.

2. Once we've neutralized the run, we can throw in a few linebacker blitzes to make their quarterback uncomfortable in the pocket. We have some of the most athletic and speedy linebackers we've ever had. Using them at the right time to harrass the quarterback could disrupt the timing of the passing game and make their quarterback less confident and more frustrated. Once he starts forcing passes, our secondary can probably get a few picks.

3. The last piece of the puzzle is our secondary, which must not give up any big passing plays. If our corners and safeties can do their jobs, we can slow down their passing game enough for our defense to get some three and outs. One big play could ruin everything, especially on the road in a hostile environment.

OFFENSE

1. Give the Huskies a steady diet of Roland and Strouth. Establish a punishing, physical running game and you'll win the time of possession battle and keep their offense off the field. This will also take some of the pressure off of Belmore so he doesn't try to win the game himself. The O-Line needs to take care of business in the trenches and win the physical battle up-front. I don't think we did that enough against Augustana. We'll need to do it here.

2. Stretch the field vertically. If we can establish the run, St. Cloud will start to bring their corners and safeties up for run support. This is where Belmore must take advantage of the situation and make some big plays. He missed some receivers in the Augustana game and he must make some plays in St. Cloud if we are going to win.

3. Score touchdowns, not field goals. Our first two possessions in Sioux Falls started in Augie territory and ended with field goals. If we get field position like that in St. Cloud, we must punch it in the end zone for 6 points. The Augustana game would have been more lopsided on the scoreboard if we had punched it in those two times instead of settling for three points. 14-0 is a lot harder to overcome than 6-0.

PREDICTION

My pronostications are usually dubious, but here goes nothing: UND defense and SCSU offense are evenly matched, although I think our D is a little bit better than their offense. That being said, the game will be decided by whether our offense can score on their defense. If we can establish the run and hit a few big passing plays, we'll be able to establish a lead and be able to play the game at a strategic advantage. Then our defense will have to stop the run and force SCSU to pass more than they want to. If we can do those things, I think we'll have a couple of long touchdown drives, one big offensive play and maybe even one defensive touchdown. That should give us enough points for our defense to work with.

Final Score: UND 28, SCSU 17

I see the 'O-line' as being the critical element in this game. Last week they faced a very disciplined and talented Defensive front in Augustana. It was a good test for the line against Augie's talent and game plan. That coupled with the fact that UND was being called for everything(you do not get any breaks on the road), led to alot of tentative play on their part. UND must be disciplined and smart on offense. They do not have to be spectacular. As someone mentioned, maintain field position, maximize possesions, use the running attack to eat up the clock and have an efficient passing game. This puts a huge burden on the 'O line' but Coach Mussman almost always has them prepared. Simple enough? I see it as a relatively low scoring game. I say UND-17, SCSU-10.

Stuffing the run game will be critical. Birkel is a stud! Our best bet is to contain the running game and hope they have go to the pass - then it's open season on their young QB. Hate to rely on the D every week but when they're that good...it's a nice weapon to have.

PS - Don't feed Hermes before the game...he went after Auggie like a starving man with a chicken leg in his sights late last week :)

UND has got to run the football. I don't know if Roland and Stouth will have much more pressure on them than this game. Give the defense enough of a break between series and we should be okay. If the defense is on the field all game long, and gets tired.....uh oh.... :)

It looks like the d2football.com NW Region columnist has jumped off the UND bandwagon after last week's game. He dropped the Sioux from 1 to 3 in his unofficial regional power poll, predicted that Birkel can run against the Sioux defense, and that without Bowenkamp the Sioux can't throw well enough to win. If you're interested, read the entire column here.

It looks like the d2football.com NW Region columnist has jumped off the UND bandwagon after last week's game.  He dropped the Sioux from 1 to 3 in his unofficial regional power poll, predicted that Birkel can run against the Sioux defense, and that without Bowenkamp the Sioux can't throw well enough to win.  If you're interested, read the entire column [url="http://www.d2football.com/index.php?fuseaction=home.notebooks

Wow, I'm glad I didn't say anything along the lines of "Bob Eblen is an idiot." :) Seriously, how would you rate St. Cloud's defense? It would seem that the only legit offense they've played may be Western Washington, who may not really be any better than Central Washington judging by their game last week. And while the Western Washington-SCSU game wasn't ever close, Western did do some damage offensively.