SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux vs. Delta State game thread

Let'sGoHawks!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When Delta had scoring position with a minute to go, I thought the Sioux had really tossed the game away. But the defense hurried their QB big time and actually knocked him out of the game. Way to step up in the final minute, defense!

Bowenkamp had a poor game. I swear he threw that 4th quarter interception at the Delta player, thinking he was a UND player. It was a perfect pass, to the wrong team!

UND gets the win, though. In typical, last minute fashion.

It was the first game of the season. Good first half. Bad second half. Great ending. Let's take this win, fix the mistakes and start preparing for next week.

Everything that went wrong today is fixable. Yes, a team can cut down on turnovers.

The Delta State player who got ejected absolutely plowed the Sioux player who was trying to catch the punt. The ball was like 5 yards away and Ridley, the Delta State player, nailed the Sioux player.

The refs sucked. On Delta's first field goal, they had that 45 yard pass that set it up. The Delta player clearly drops the ball. The officials were competely out of position or they would have seen this.

And Digger Anderson is just unbelievable. I thought it was amazing when he jumped over a guy to make a tackle in the 3rd quarter. Then he does the same thing after making the interception. Wow. ???

When Delta had scoring position with a minute to go, I thought the Sioux had really tossed the game away. But the defense hurried their QB big time and actually knocked him out of the game. Way to step up in the final minute, defense!

Bowenkamp had a poor game. I swear he threw that 4th quarter interception at the Delta player, thinking he was a UND player. It was a perfect pass, to the wrong team!

UND gets the win, though. In typical, last minute fashion.

Last minute fashion, however, a win against a top 10 type team, they will probably be in the NCAA tourney come end of the season. They play some good ball in the Gulf South. I will take it over a game against MSU-Moorhead or UMC Crookston any day.

Good for UND.

My perspective is that it came down to 5 plays. First play was the incomplete that was ruled a completion in the first quarter. If the linesman had been awake, he would have realized the error and made the right call. Delta Stat 3-0.

The second was Bowencamp's first INT. On this INT, I didn't even see his intended reciever. It's almost as if he was trying to throw the ball away and simply made a completion to the opposing player. That being said, I'm sure there was a reciever somewhere around, but I missed him.

The third was probably the worst call I've ever witnessed in a football setting. The punted ball bounced off of the helmet of the Delta State player and it was not ruled dead. I admit not knowing the rules as well as I should, but shouldn't that be the end of the play? Needless to say the Sioux were penalized on the play.

The fourth play was the pass interference call that eventually (I think it was the next play) resulted in the second Delta State TD. I didn't see a penalty at all. I don't think there was one to call. Officials really did a poor job today.

The final play was Bowencamp's second INT. The only difference between this one and his first one is that I actually saw his intended reciever. This INT was a poor decision on Bowenkamp that resulted in an opportunistic INT for Delta State.

Overall, the first half was good, the second half was awful. Digger and #4 were the reasons why we didn't lose the game. Yes, I think Delta could have won it.

What should come of this game? Well, John needs to work on decision making under pressure (not sure how he can work on this) and Lennon needs to file a complaint with the NCC for the head official's conduct during the game.

Last but not least a few general comments: Alerus opened up its arms in grand style sending a clear message to returning students: You want the seats, you maintain them. The seats around us as well as our seats at the game (Row H or so at the 50 yard line) were covered in dust and dirt. I am unsure if this was what it was like all over the student section and if this also included the general public's section. Any bets that the public's side wasn't dirty at all? Another comment is that they either need to look into the ref's mic or they need to train their sound man. The ref could hardly be heard and when he was, only the second half of his call was audible. As for the band, thank god they didn't play Soak in the Sun... the problem is, they played the Blues Brothers. Oh yeah, as for the 5th quarter concert: It's not worth it. It's basically a replay of the halftime show. All 10 of us who stayed to listen to it were dissapointed.

Last but not least a few general comments: Alerus opened up its arms in grand style sending a clear message to returning students: You want the seats, you maintain them. The seats around us as well as our seats at the game (Row H or so at the 50 yard line) were covered in dust and dirt. I am unsure if this was what it was like all over the student section and if this also included the general public's section. Any bets that the public's side wasn't dirty at all?

Tell me your kidding? You are complaining about dust on your seat!!

The third was probably the worst call I've ever witnessed in a football setting. The punted ball bounced off of the helmet of the Delta State player and it was not ruled dead. I admit not knowing the rules as well as I should, but shouldn't that be the end of the play?

from what I understand if that the returner can still pick up the ball and run with it after the punting team has touched the ball as long as the play is not blown dead

from what I understand if that the returner can still pick up the ball and run with it after the punting team has touched the ball as long as the play is not blown dead

I think the ball could still be picked up by a UND player and returned, but if it is not (and the whistle is blown) the play is dead and ball should be spotted where the Delta State player first touched the ball, unless it bounces in UND's favor. Basically Delta is not allowed to touch the ball and have it bounce, be kicked or pushed in a way that would give UND worse field position after initially touching it.

I think the bottom line is that if the whistle had not blown, the play is still live. But if the whistle had already been blown the play dead before the penalty occured, UND shouldn't have been penalized.

The Good:

Offensive line looked very, very good. It seems like they picked up right where they left off last year. Run blocking was outstanding and the pass protection very good. I'm not worried about the line anymore.

Tony Hermes and Digger Anderson played like All-Americans and were all over the field. The one new wrinkle I really like is when they go to a four man front with Hermes and Babington-Johnson playing the ends. It's tough for Division II tackles to deal with their speed coming off the edge.

The Bad:

Bowenkamp was awful. There's just no other way to put it. He's a senior and a three year starter and there is just no excuse for for making the kind of mistakes he was making.

The defense gave up way, way too many conversions on 3rd and long. Dumb penalties, guys not staying disciplined in their zones, poor tackling on the receivers, etc. There's a lot of talent there though, so once they get things cleaned up they should be outstanding. The drive that really drove me nuts was the one just before the half that made it 21-9. Delta converted on 3rd and 13, 3rd and 7, 3rd and 10, and 3rd and goal from the nine. Stop them there and the game is over.

All in all, a win is a win and I guess that's what's really important. I think the team has the potential to be better than last year once they get some things cleaned up.

It did seem kind of strange that the seats were all dusty and dirty, but I didn't really care much. I barely sat down during the game, so whoopteedoo.

It was kinda sad that the players on the bench were trying to get the public up out of their seats near the end of the game before Digger's INT and a majority of the public just sat there looking stupid. Then again that isn't much of a change from how they normally look. ???

It did seem kind of strange that the seats were all dusty and dirty, but I didn't really care much. I barely sat down during the game, so whoopteedoo.

It was kinda sad that the players on the bench were trying to get the public up out of their seats near the end of the game before Digger's INT and a majority of the public just sat there looking stupid. Then again that isn't much of a change from how they normally look. ???

From the Radio Broadcast it sounded kind of loud in the Al, what was the noise like?

The second was Bowencamp's first INT.  On this INT, I didn't even see his intended reciever.  It's almost as if he was trying to throw the ball away and simply made a completion to the opposing player.  That being said, I'm sure there was a reciever somewhere around, but I missed him.

For most of that play, Bowenkamp was looking for Lee Groeschl on a fly pattern to the end zone. I watched him watch Groeschl as the receiver broke clear and appeared to have at least two steps on the defensive back. I thought Bownkamp would throw to him and it would be a TD.

But instead, he suddenly looked underneath and tried to force the ball into someone cutting across the middle of the field. The pass went right to the Delta State defender. Why Bownkamp decided not to throw to Groeschl when it appeared he was open is a mystery to me. ???

From the Radio Broadcast it sounded kind of loud in the Al, what was the noise like?

It wasn't "playoff loud," but the crowd really got into it when Delta State made a run in the fourth quarter. I know that I'm hoarse.

It got pretty loud when Digger made that play though. I still can't believe that, it was amazing. Hopefully it will be just as loud next week against Mesa State, but no suspense at the end. I swear this team tries its' best to kill its' fans every week.

I thought that we played a good first half. But our pass coverage is horrible, especially deep. That has been our achilles heel of our team ever since we won in '01. I realize there isn't really a shutdown corner in d2 but we have to be able to cover better than this. Thank you for letting me rant. Now back to the regularly scheduled posts.

I know it irritates certain people on this board to criticize play-calling, but what was the deal with UND's first possession of the 4th quarter? The Sioux had been running well most of the game, and in that possession had moved the ball almost exclusively on the ground to Delta's 37. With a 2nd down and 3, two consecutive pass plays were called and of course, Bowenkamp doesn't complete either so UND has to punt. Why in the world wouldn't you continue to run the ball in that situation? There was almost no way Delta was going to be able to stop the Sioux from getting at least three yards with a couple of runs. Roland and the hogs were doing the job, and Bowenkamp was struggling badly nearly every time he tried to pass.

I had really hoped that Bowenkamp had gotten these types of performances out of his system early last year, but apparently that's not the case. He was truly horrific today, and could easily have had two or three more picks. I don't know if Bellmore or Manke would have done better, but there's little chance they could have done worse.

I know it irritates certain people on this board to criticize play-calling, but what was the deal with UND's first possession of the 4th quarter? The Sioux had been running well most of the game, and in that possession had moved the ball almost exclusively on the ground to Delta's 37. With a 2nd down and 3, two consecutive pass plays were called and of course, Bowenkamp doesn't complete either so UND has to punt. Why in the world wouldn't you continue to run the ball in that situation? There was almost no way Delta was going to be able to stop the Sioux from getting at least three yards with a couple of runs. Roland and the hogs were doing the job, and Bowenkamp was struggling badly nearly every time he tried to pass.

I had really hoped that Bowenkamp had gotten these types of performances out of his system early last year, but apparently that's not the case. He was truly horrific today, and could easily have had two or three more picks. I don't know if Bellmore or Manke would have done better, but there's little chance they could have done worse.

I agree. I think only two drives the entire game featured runs for less than 3 yards.

Roland finished with 180 alone!

However, I will question a lot of things on the field, but I will not question Lennon's coaching style. The man is 'the man.' Especially now that Blais is gone, he's the man all around. Hakstol is a good guy, but only Blais could compete in the name recognition bracket with Lennon.

I met the Coach and I can say that the guy is one Grade AAA class act. Real nice guy. I was serving as a tour guide for a bunch of prospective football players (don't know exactly who they were or whether or not they were being recruited or were actually freshmen), but I was definitely being paid to be a fly on the wall until told to do my job. Instead, he stood outside the door with me and the other two tour guides and talked with us. Quality guy.

The Sioux clearly were playing it conservative...but that's their style. BUT DAMMIT...they gotta stop calling the bubble screen on the FIRST play of EVERY game...opponents are going to sniff that out eventually...PLUS it's REALLY predictable. I do wish Mussman would mix it up a bit...

Overall - the O was about was we expected and JB did make a few more bad decisions than I thought he would but bottom line - they did enough and bought enough time (Thanks Adam R!) to keep Delta's POTENT offense off the field. The D was about or more than what we expected. (I thought the pass coverage was, on a whole, above average. Manke had several big plays) I won't even comment on Digger. His play stands by itself. That guy is the most focused, smart D linebacker UND has seen for while....and considering who they've had in the last few years...that says a LOT!

Coach Lennon is a great coach and has the best philosophy as far as winning is concerned. I just wish they would not pull back the reins on the offense so much. UND has great players, they need to be allowed to go make some plays. Last year they would start slow and be forced to cut the offense loose, but only if they were losing. I understand that with this style of play you shouldn't turn the ball over as much, but that wasn't the case yesterday as they turned the ball over 4 or 5 times. I also think the team needs to develop a killer instict... put teams away when they have the chance! It almost seems as if the offense players are happy with a small lead and just push the game on the defense, and I don't like that.

IMO UND could have one of the better offenses in D2 to match their defense. It's not part of the style of play for UND and that is fine, but please let the offensive players go out and make the plays they are capable of. Defense wins championships, but the team should not rely soley upon that because you have to score to win. When games are as close yesterdays was (and really shouldn't have been) 1 or 2 bad breaks and UND loses, and I just don't like cutting it that close.

on the flip side, playing is close games will benafit the Sioux when it comes playoff time or at least when the UNO game takes place.

The refs sucked. On Delta's first field goal, they had that 45 yard pass that set it up. The Delta player clearly drops the ball. The officials were competely out of position or they would have seen this.

It makes you wonder sometimes if the refs get so caught up in watching the game and paying attention to everything, that they forget about some of the more important details like if the receiver actually catches the ball, and it was very evident that he dropped the ball on the turf, it wasn't even close to being a catch.

Just to clarify my previous post regarding play-calling, I did not intend to criticize Lennon. It's Mussman who calls the plays, and he was who I was questioning. However, upon further review, I suppose it's at least conceivable that Bowenkamp audibled out of a running play on one or more plays during the possession in question. I just think it's ironic that many of us criticize the usual ultra-conservative approach to play-calling, and yesterday it was a case of getting away from the ultra-conservative stuff (which was working) too much.

Anyway, I was very impressed with the offensive line yesterday, as well as Roland and Strouth. Defensively, the pass rush was good, and the performance was pretty solid for the most part. Yes, too many passing yards were allowed, but it was the first game of the year and that was a pretty good passing team. In reality, the defense only gave up 16 points since the first three were the result of that horrible call giving them a long pass completion on the play in which the receiver clearly dropped the ball.

I agree with the idea that UND needs to get that killer instinct. This game was very similar to the Winona St. game last year in which the Sioux dominated the first half and it looked like the game would be a blow-out. For whatever reason, it's as though UND has to play in a close game against every decent opponent. If they jump out to a big lead, they will inevitably allow the opponent to come back. If they fall way behind, they will inevitably come back themselves.