SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux vs. Delta State game thread

Let'sGoHawks!

What a game, that was pretty sweet. ;)

The Good:

The defense. They were down right awesome. You expect to give up some points to the number one passing team in the country, but I thought they did their job.

The Bad:

Second half offense. I don't think we crossed the Delta State 40 yard line. :(

The Ugly:

Jeff Glas missing that 25 yard field goal. Not only did it fail to give UND a three touchdown lead, but it TOTALLY CHANGED THE MOMENTUM OF THE GAME. I've been ridiculed on this board for not having faith in the guy, but he's still only a 50/50 kicker and that needs to improve..... ???

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

According to today's Grand Forks Herald, "Two Mississippi state troopers accompanied Delta State to Grand Forks."

I think they showed the troopers briefly on the big screen during the game. They were big, burly and all decked out in their uniforms.

Does anyone know the rationale for this move by Delta State? Is is fallout from the North Alabama game? Did it help maintain order on the sidelines?

According to today's Grand Forks Herald, "Two Mississippi state troopers accompanied Delta State to Grand Forks."

I think they showed the troopers briefly on the big screen during the game. They were big, burly and all decked out in their uniforms.

Does anyone know the rationale for this move by Delta State? Is is fallout from the North Alabama game? Did it help maintain order on the sidelines?

I think it's just kind of a tradition in the South. FB is king and to make sure everyone knows how important it is, they send troopers with the teams.

Clarification on the punt that Delta State touched: The kicking team is allowed to touch the ball before the receiving team - If they take the ball into possession, the ball is blown dead, if they touch it and don't possess it, it is ruled a "first touch" and play continues. The receiving team may take the ball and attempt a return and at the end of the play be given the option of the result of the return or taking possession at the point of "first touching". However, if the returning team is penalized during the return the "first touching" is negated and the penalty enforced as if the touch did not occur. I believe that Coach Lennon was arguing that the ball was touched before it was grounded and in that case the kicking team would be penalized for kick catching interference - but that rule only applies if there was a receiving team player who could have made a play on the ball, and I don't believe the Sioux had a player in position to play the ball in the air.

The Sioux went to their "scripted plays" for three sequences in the game and rolled up big yards each time. Yesterday's script went: bubble screeen right, Roland off tackle left, Roland off tackle right, Strouth on a zone stretch right, then a "dig" or middle slant/curl. I won't be surprised if next week's script contains the same plays in a new order - these plays establish what the defense is giving and what the offense is able to take and gives the offense an idea of what they can to to as the game progresses. Mussman goes back to the script when the defense adjusts and he needs to get a read on their new tendencies. Real "Spy vs Spy" stuff.

One interesting aspect of yesterday's game that I don't believe anyone has mentioned yet is that Tony Hermes is actually one of the kick returners this year. It seems surprising since he's a 230 pound-plus 5th-year senior linebacker who probably hasn't carried the ball at all since high school, but he actually did a pretty nice job. Travis Lueck he's not, but he's not bad. I'm not sold on Groeschl yet, though. I know he did some returning duty last year, but I haven't really seen the kind of burst from him yet that you'd like to see from a returner. I had thought Strouth may be one of the primary returners this year, but perhaps he's just too valuable as a running back to chance injury on special teams. Grossman would seem to be another candidate. Presumably, we're not seeing Alexander doing returns yet due to possibly suspect hands? From a speed perspective, I have to think that eventually he could be a very effective kick/punt returner.

I'm a little worried about the recieving corps in general. Belmore does a great job but I'm suprised he doesn't have a little more in the storeroom than he does. Caleb is battle tested but he limped off the field saturday...haven't heard any more about that...Grossman is talented but just a little too small I think. Groeschl has some potential but he hasn't shown me anything special yet. Anyone heard anything about Trenbeath since his BB injury? If he was back at full strenght...maybe he's a guy they could pull the RS off and see what he could do. He is a great athlete...even as a freshman...

Clarification on the punt that Delta State touched: The kicking team is allowed to touch the ball before the receiving team - If they take the ball into possession, the ball is blown dead, if they touch it and don't possess it, it is ruled a "first touch" and play continues. The receiving team may take the ball and attempt a return and at the end of the play be given the option of the result of the return or taking possession at the point of "first touching". However, if the returning team is penalized during the return the "first touching" is negated and the penalty enforced as if the touch did not occur. I believe that Coach Lennon was arguing that the ball was touched before it was grounded and in that case the kicking team would be penalized for kick catching interference - but that rule only applies if there was a receiving team player who could have made a play on the ball, and I don't believe the Sioux had a player in position to play the ball in the air.

The Sioux went to their "scripted plays" for three sequences in the game and rolled up big yards each time. Yesterday's script went: bubble screeen right, Roland off tackle left, Roland off tackle right, Strouth on a zone stretch right, then a "dig" or middle slant/curl. I won't be surprised if next week's script contains the same plays in a new order - these plays establish what the defense is giving and what the offense is able to take and gives the offense an idea of what they can to to as the game progresses. Mussman goes back to the script when the defense adjusts and he needs to get a read on their new tendencies. Real "Spy vs Spy" stuff.

geez...I thought the bubble screen on the first play was enough to tip off opponents...don't give them the PLAYBOOK!!!