SiouxSports.com Forum

Soccer Coach Resigns

SiouxForDII

I'm looking for some reaction to Coach Granstrand's resignation from his position as women's soccer coach at UND to take over the position at Northern Michigan.

Any way I look at it the move still looks like a lateral if not downward move on the coaching ladder. The Wildcats from NMU doesn't exactly strike fear into anyone's heart.

The soccer team goes to the NCAA's in his second year, albeit with someone else's players, and then he bolts. What's up with that? It just doesn't make sense.

I realize that there were some issues regarding the hosting of the NCAA Regionals last November with the coach and the administration pointing figures at each other as to why the #1 seed wasn't hosting the NCAA Regional tournament but surely that wasn't enough for the guy to pack it in. I think he could have done a much better job of recruiting as none of the players brought in in the last two years had much of an overall impact on the program.

I would appreciate it if anyone else knows any information about his resignation to post it on the web site. I realize that women's soccer is not high on the list of everyone's priorities but a small amount of discussion isn't going to kill anyone.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lack of a committment of any sort to a facility for soccer had to factor in. When you play on a field that has an orange snow fence around it and bleacher seating for 12 people, it has to wear on the recruiting trail.

The most interesting part of the whole situation is that the final sentence of the press release states that a "national search will begin immediately".

Hmmm... why in this case? :D

I love the fact that even when we are talking about soccer, we end up talking about hockey. It is a good point though. As far as a soccer field, I have been hearing for a while that they were going to build a permanent soccer field. The last I heard was something about turning the ROTC field behind the coule into a soccer field. It would definately be an investment in the program if they could get a decent place to play. Couldn't they get some sort of artificial turf that they could just throw down in memorial stadium for soccer games and then just roll back up? Something like what they do at the alerus. Just roll it out for soccer games and then roll it back up.

I understand Granstrand's wife is from that area and will work on her Masters at Northern Mickigan. He did a great job for us and I hate to see him move on but we have to understand that he wasn't making squat. Having his wife's Masters paid for would be a huge financial benefit for his family. I don't know if she could have gotten her Masters in her field at UND.

i have a better idea yet. how bout they just cut the program? nobody cares about womens soccer. they should start stripping after goals if they want people to watch and cheer for the team.

With an attitude like yours why don't we just cancel all women's sports and send them back to the kitchen to raise kids? I seriously hope you're not a university graduate.

the soccer coach's wife was supposed to be a GA at UND, and was told once he arrived at UND that she couldnt...due to nepotism--spelling?? and from what the soccer coach has stated that UND being #1 in the region at the end of the year and not hosting the regional has hurt him recruiting a lot...UND did not host because UND did not put in a bid to host, as well as not having a field with a wooden snow fence around it?? and no scoreboard, no locker room at REA since REA does not want them over there... no assistant coach, only GA's...these are propably all reasons why he left the program...along with poor pay... :D

Originally the plan was for soccer to be played at Memorial Stadium, and I believe it was played there for the first season, but all of the NCC coaches got together and complained, and after that season there was a ban on playing home soccer games on turf. It was kind of a funny deal, since UND was the only team playing on turf. So, goodbye Stadium, hello snow fence. I do agree that the soccer field sucks, but it is really low on the totem pole. Figure an indoor track would even take priority over a new soccer field. That has been talked about, but when will it arrive?

Originally the plan was for soccer to be played at Memorial Stadium, and I believe it was played there for the first season, but all of the NCC coaches got together and complained, and after that season there was a ban on playing home soccer games on turf.  It was kind of a funny deal, since UND was the only team playing on turf.  So, goodbye Stadium, hello snow fence.  I do agree that the soccer field sucks, but it is really low on the totem pole.  Figure an indoor track would even take priority over a new soccer field.  That has been talked about, but when will it arrive?

Thanks for the post. I was curious as to why the games aren't played at Memorial. I suppose the other alternative would be to see whether the Grand Forks Public Schools would allow the team to play games at Cushman for a nominal fee. Natural grass, plenty of seating and parking and no snow fence! I don't see much of a chance that UND will ever build a soccer facility, nor is it probably cost-effective, so Cushman may be the only real alternative. With football at the city-owned Alerus and baseball at the park district-owned (I assume) Kraft Field, such an arrangement wouldn't necessarily be unprecedented, other than UND would be dealing with the school district instead of the park district or city.

the soccer coach's wife was supposed to be a GA at UND, and was told once he arrived at UND that she couldnt...due to nepotism--spelling??

nepotism,huh?!? Having Hakstol be in-laws with a certain high-ranking official sure didn't seem to slow down the process of having his hiring pushed through rather quickly in a much higher profile job. :D

ironic that its not accross the board isnt it??? the nepotism thing...back to palying on memorial field, yes the soccer ball will roll forever on turf and talkin to the first soccer coach he said it takes a much more skilled player on turf than grass, the turf wont stop the ball...and I am not saying build a new field...but how about some sort of help?? accomidations?? what about the practice field for football??? and i do agree track needs some help as well...but what is the plan and where is the direction for these and i use quotes cuz it is BS.."MINOR" programs...if we cant take care of these programs and help them out...then why do we have them?? it isnt fair to these kids who bust their buns like anyone else...the soccer and track teams work as hard as the hockey guys...so who is lookin out for them?? baseball team busts their butt...and all these programs fund raise for their budgets...where is the justice??? can anyone tell me??? unreal...does UND have a plan for these facilities or is REA going to build them all...UND doesnt need to sell its soul anymore than it has...it is complicated things enough!!!!!!!!!! just my opinion!!!!! but i am right...lol

The most interesting part of the whole situation is that the final sentence of the press release states that a "national search will begin immediately".

Hmmm... why in this case? :D

... no assistant coach, only GA's...

That's why.

On another note, the problem with just getting different artificial turf to put down at memorial, and just rolling it up after, is that there would be no place to store it. Not to mention the massive amount of time and man power that would be needed to do that.

And they definatly wouldn't make the soccer players do it. It's just not an option.

i have a better idea yet. how bout they just cut the program? nobody cares about womens soccer. they should start stripping after goals if they want people to watch and cheer for the team.

That's just sad Deeks Pizza. :D I'm sorry if you feel that sports that don't appeal to the GF masses don't belong at UND and women can't be respected as athletes. All student athletes at UND have my support, regardless of sport or sex... (Well maybe not the women's hockey team until they get that GPA up. ;):p )

I wonder if anyone that is actually associated with Deeks Pizza is aware of the messages that are being posted by someone using their name as an alias. I am certain that the opinions expressed here don't reflect the views of the establishment.

Siouxnami... in regards to the women's hockey team GPA... they managed to get it up over a 3.0, past the men's hockey team and had a 4.0 as well. I agree their first sem was embarrassing, but second semester they got their asses in gear.

While I dispute the whole notion that it was solely the administration's fault for not submitting a bid to host the NCAA's (the rumor is the coach dimissed their chances of finishing 1st in the region) I do wonder whether the administration has done any self-evaluation on the reasons why the program has been through 3 coaches in 5 years.

If I'm an administrator I would like to have a little more stability with the program as it doesn't send a very good message to potential recruits.

sioux for D2......obviously you are not familar with how the whole process works for bidding on events or you wouldnt have made such a ignorant comment....if a school doesnt bid on a event, they have no chance to host it, and i am sure a 8 hour bus ride for Omaha would have been different if they would have came to UND..obviously since UND beat Omaha on our home field last year when they were #1 or #2 in the country...i too wonder if their is any self evaluation rather than perhaps blaming a soccer coach who is deemed a complainer..

I am a big fan of the Sioux Soccer team and happen to be dating one of the players. They work very hard at what they do and deserve a little more respect. They beat the #1 team in the nation and were ranked as high as #6 at one point. Their fan base is starting to develop but the athletics program needs to support them more. As for the botched NCAA regional game, from what i understand, Roger Thomas or whoever is in charge of the bids, didnt put one in due to the that they, nor the coach, thought they would be the #1 seed.

i agree with you max..whoever is in charge of the bid irregardless doesnt the buck stop at the top??? and no matter what program these kids play for, track, baseball, soccer, whichever dont they deserve a place to play or some help with scholarship, meal money, recruiting money..rather than always making these programs pay the price...these athletes for the other sports work just as hard show up for practice go to class just like any other athlete does...so why disrespect them....then you wonder why some alums dont give money back to the university...its because they remember driving in a van 8 hours to Omaha...hmmm think about it.....

...its because they remember driving in a van 8 hours to Omaha...

How else do you get to Omaha?

Isn't the coach supposed to know his sport? Apparently, from reports here, the coach didn't think they would be a #1 seed. He's the expert. Who else should the AD believe?

Last I looked, UND womens soccer has 8.0 scholarships (DII limit is 9.9).

But yes, they have a big facilities issue. (I gave an idea on how to solve it earlier.)

how about charter a bus like most of out other teams do..most dont drive themselves in vans...that was my point..and actually the coach asked administration to put in a bid...and it wasnt done...and the coach knew after midway thru the year that they were the #1 in the region...so he asked about it....and as i posted earlier all the other NCC teams are using this against soccer...that who cares if their #1 in the region..you wont host the regional anyway....

from what i understand, the university could have allowed the team to take a plane down there, but omaha was 8 miles to close. there is a certain # of miles a place must be away for a team to take a plane, and omaha was just 8 miles under that. i just hope that UND finds a good coach for this wonderul team.