SiouxSports.com Forum

Soccer Coach Resigns

SiouxForDII

sioux for D2......obviously you are not familar with how the whole process works for bidding on events or you wouldnt have made such a ignorant comment....if a school doesnt bid on a event, they have no chance to host it, and i am sure a 8 hour bus ride for Omaha would have been different if they would have came to UND..obviously since UND beat Omaha on our home field last year when they were #1 or #2 in the country...i too wonder if their is any self evaluation rather than perhaps blaming a soccer coach who is deemed a complainer..

I am very familiar with how the bid process works. No bid - No host. The coach has to take some responsibility for keeping the administration informed about their ranking in the region. If it was football or basketball I would suspect that the AD's know what the ranking is but for a minor sport the coach needs to do some work to keep the higher ups informed.

Whatever the reason let's just hope that the merry-go-round environment of soccer coaches at UND stops for the next one. First Sedgwick for two years, Morrison for one and now Granstrand for two. That doesn't look good when searching for a high quality candidate. I'm sure most candidates will ask why there's been such a high turnover in such a short time period.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so D2...its your stand that the coach should inform someone as to how well their doing??? WOW...if that has to happen there are some serious problems!!!!!! a minor sport....why dont you go say that to the coach or their athletes or affirmitive action..minor sport....and why are we having such a high turnaround??? or at other positions??? what is going on???

... a minor sport....why dont you go say that to the coach or their athletes or affirmitive action..minor sport....

No, he won't say that to an affirmative action committee, or to the coaches, or to the athletes. But I'll agree with him, and so will 90 out of 100 people in the community. Soccer at UND is a minor sport.

At the University of North Dakota, compared to mens hockey, football, and basketball (mens and womens), soccer is a minor sport.

In comparison to football and basketball, show me a university where soccer isn't a minor sport.

Taking vans versus a coach is maltreatment or mistreatment? (Why didn't the soccer team take a coach? Did the hockey, football, or basketball teams have it reserved already?)

Having 8.0 scholarships in a realm where the DII max is 9.9 is maltreatment or mistreatment?

You can't tell me the minor sport teams at Duke are treated the same way as the mens basketball team. Welcome to Realities of Life 101: Rainmakers get priority treatment and handling.

If there's tunnel vision here there's more than enough to go around.

forget it...obviously you dont know...and i am not gonna tell you..so i will leave it at that!!!

Did our favorite Bison fan start his own debate school...did sioux goo graduate...what do the diplomas look like? :0

Did our favorite Bison fan start his own debate school...did sioux goo graduate...what do the diplomas look like? :0

Well PCM, it seems the "I'm clearly more enlightened because I say so, and you're wrong if you disagree or see things differently, then disappear" technique works in any context.

'goo,

Do you need multiple punctuation marks in order to show us that you really mean what you say? If so, does that imply that you often do not mean what you say?

I can remember when UND was mired in a long winless streak against 'SU in football. Who led them out of that mess? It wasn't that Rocky Hager wannabe Pat Behrns. Who hired (and mentored) the only UND football coach to win a NC? Who was AD when the Al, the Ralph, and the Betty were all built? RT is a class act as demonstrated by the way he (and his teams) conducts (conducted) himself (themselves). Is everything he does perfect? No, and it would not be a reasonable expectation of him or anyone else. Do I wish that the hiring of a new hockey coach was conducted differently? Yes, but I also have cofidence in RT's judgement. Also, if DB gave DH his very enthusiastic endorsement and didn't mean it, it would be very un-DB-like to say the least.

Go find a much more deserving target for your contempt.

"I see the things and take the things going on at UND very seriously!!!!!"

You mean things like athletic programs being asked to live within tighter budgets just like every other department (athletic or non-athletic) at every other university? It happens in the private sector too: Reality of life.

What else?

PS - All the rest of us are here because we really don't care. :0

Dale Lennon's bio:

Asst. Coach - Defensive Line, University of North Dakota, 1990-96

Asst. Coach - Defensive Coord., University of North Dakota, 1997-98

Who was the UND head coach DL was under? Roger Thomas.

Budgets: Last I saw for FY04 it was projected to be on target. I'm talking coming year (FY05) budgets being tighter. You're familiar with them, on the inside, yes?

DamStrait: You have it Dam*Strait. :0

I, along with most on this board, want to see all Sioux athletics do well. The problem for minor sports (we are not a soccer hotbed) is that they don't make money. There are no ticket sales or concessions. Because of that, they do have to do their own fundraising.

I do agree that they need a place to play, but there are other programs that need land as well. I noticed that the rugby team is in the technology park west of the I-29. What happens when another business bumps them? The marching band is losing their practice field (for the third time) when the Canad Inn gets built on the bands parking lot. Indoor track is terrible. Try being a civil engineer and having to take surveying when all the land you used is now covered with buildings. It's hard to rate one item above another unless they pull in the money.

Out of curiosity, would we have had to gaurantee the NCAA so much money to have hosted soccer?

all good and valid points smoggy calif...but my question is...what is the plan?? where is the long term direction?? the coaches arent told of one.

The gurantee was 6,000. UND spent that much on Parise and Bo for hobey baker awards. The point is the kids worked hard for that and deserved the opportunity.

Even if the athletic dept took a hit and lost some money, the kids played all year to host the tourney, then were served up some injustice. That is the bottom line.

There are no ticket sales or concessions. Because of that, they do have to do their own fundraising.

Where does UND recieve any money from concessions?

There might be a small amount of trickle-down money from REA for the ticket guarantee/advertising aspect of the contract, but the Alerus doesn't share any concession revenue with UND. Hyslop's concession revenue went to dining services.

UND received a fixed sum for basketball, volleyball, and some swimming events in the Hyslop, but will not get any money from the Betty, and does not get any from REA nor does it receive any concessions from the Al...but there is a new contract coming out for the Al soon so we will have to wait and see, but the Al doesnt want to give up the concessions since they have had them for the last 3 years?? From the playoff games alone they netted 200,000 from the big crowds, why would the Al want to give that up?