SiouxSports.com Forum

Ballard gone

fargosioux

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ballard is as overrated as Leopold was underrated in college. My favorite Ballard memory is when Bochenski made him lose his jockstrap (which was probably inside out to begin with) on the one on one in Mpls last year.

Did you happen to notice he won the Hobey in his final year of college hockey?:sad:??

I did. After 3-4 years of UND beating MN like a rug there had to be a little voice in the back of the Gopher player's heads telling them they could still loose the series. It's just Ballard's little voice was a little more...ahem....agressive than most. :sad:

I really didn't think the '02 UND team could stick with the '02 Gophers during the playoffs, right up until UND potted the tying goal with under a minute left in the second game. Then the OT was back and forth. Then the famous ending. :lol:

It may be because my season tickets are right behind the end Hauser defended twice for four years, and that I became a Gopher fan in '81 that I always had a little doubt in the back of my mind.

Ballard was a very solid player and I would have liked to see him stick around, just because I like to watch good players from other teams. Good luck to him

I agree. IMO he was last year's best Gopher player. In the big picture, I'd rather have a 2 way dman than a 1 dimensional scoring sensation. Ballard will be missed more than Vanek (should Vanek leave next).

I agree. IMO he was last year's best Gopher player. In the big picture, I'd rather have a 2 way dman than a 1 dimensional scoring sensation. Ballard will be missed more than Vanek (should Vanek leave next).

As much as I enjoy seeing the Gophers lose talent - part of me enjoys when each team is loaded with superior players - makes the games more fun to look forward to.

I have to say I was happy to see Ballard sign early, as it happens to all teams with the good players. It's one of the dynamics of the state of the college game.

That said, I'd rather see all players stay all 4 years. I'd rather see teams with their best potential playing each other and duking it out, rather than having the cream scraped from the top each year.

But such as it is....

FrozenTundra,

You are right, Ballard was lousy at defense. I can't figure out why the Gophers kept him. It was kind of like how they hung on to the Leopold and Martin kids as long as they did - neither of them were very good either. The Gophs should take after Blais. He was smart enough to get rid of the offensively-challanged Zach Parise before he hurt the Sioux too much.

Everyone's missing the point. College hockey has gotten so good over the past few years that it's become NCAA basketball. Watch the Paul Martins, Zach Parises, and Keith Ballards while you can for the year, two, or three that you have them, because quality players putting in four years of college are quickly becoming a thing of the past. Unfortunately, I might add. It would have been something watching UND and UM duke it out next season with their full corp of upper-classmen and new recruits. You think a Ballard or a Parise wouldn't have had a burr in their saddle all season long after the way this past year ended for both of them? Alas, we'll never know...

Ballard does not play a lick of defense...kind of like Travis Roche. And unfortunately, we know how far Roche has made it in the NHL so far. At least Roche wasn't a dirty player though.

I think your brain is frozen under the tundra of your hairline.

FrozenTundra,

You are right, Ballard was lousy at defense. I can't figure out why the Gophers kept him. It was kind of like how they hung on to the Leopold and Martin kids as long as they did - neither of them were very good either. The Gophs should take after Blais. He was smart enough to get rid of the offensively-challanged Zach Parise before he hurt the Sioux too much.

Martin and Leopold were both twice the player that Ballard was.