SiouxSports.com Forum

Ballard gone

fargosioux

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You hang regular season banners to show that you were the best during the long haul, over the whole season: Proven performance, no hot goalie weekends or fluke goal wins gets that banner.

Winning a national title shows that, at the end of the season, you were among the best of everyone out there and beat them at the end. The best of the best, and the best of them all, matters.

What's the WCHA tournament title? It's not the long haul and it's not the largest (and best) field that you're playing against. To win a WCHA tourney you need to be good for nine days and you'll be playing against at least one team that isn't near "the best of the best" (a non-NCAA qualifier). Anything can happen in the WCHA tournament (just ask Wisconsin this year or CC from a few back).

Being tops amongst your peers over the long haul or being the best of all in the field at the end is noteworthy: Hang it.

actually, I'd say that a team can get "hot" in the NCAA's just as easily as the league post season titles and not be the "best" team to win it all. I'd look to Denver this year (who woulda thunk in March they'd win?!??!) as one example. So by your logic, at least one of the UND NCAA's would be a "lucky" title run too! :(

But I would agree for the most part with the logic for the regular season title... ;)

WPoS

Hot against whom?

- The #10, #4, and #2 teams in the WCHA, or

- the #16, #8, #4, and #2 teams in the nation?

Best of the best when it mattered: There's the point.

However, your agreement has me seeing that UND's 13 WCHA regular season banners are nearly as stunning of an achievement as the 7 National Championships.

I disagree that that team was lucky to win the NC. That was one of my favorite Sioux teams of all time. If last year's team had the character of the 97' team they would have at least made it to Boston. That was as gritty of a Sioux team as I can remember. If they had played Michigan that year I think they would have given them a run for their money.

I disagree that that team was lucky to win the NC. That was one of my favorite Sioux teams of all time. If last year's team had the character of the 97' team they would have at least made it to Boston. That was as gritty of a Sioux team as I can remember. If they had played Michigan that year I think they would have given them a run for their money.

Perhaps I should have used the word "not favored" or "improbable". Just like Denver this year.

- Had the 1997 Sioux not gotten "lucky", I really think either the '98 or the '99 Sioux would have pulled it off. Also it was really just a great draw, they didn't need luck in any of those games. The draw opened up the tourney like the '02 tourney opened up for the Gophs.

- The 13 Regular Season Titles is in fact amazing.

- 1940 Gophers were unbeaten, untied and had Mariucci on the team. They also beat three collegiate opponents in a weekend to claim the AAU title. Believe it or not, hockey was played a little before UND got their act together.

- Last year the WCHA Final Five was nearly as strong of a field as the Frozen Four. Had DU or UW not slipped up, arguements could have been made that it was as strong as the Frozen Four field. It still had three of the top five teams in the nation just like the Frozen Four. It will be rare that the Final five doesn't have two of the top four teams in the nation.

Last years team did have the gritt and I believe way more talent that the 1997 team, however, losing to Denver showed what can happen when you run into a hot goalie in a one and gone series, anyone can win. I say no way Denver could have beaten UND in a 7 game series like the NHL. Also there is no shame in losing to a hot goalie.

Last years team did have the gritt and I believe way more talent that the 1997 team, however, losing to Denver showed what can happen when you run into a hot goalie in a one and gone series, anyone can win. I say no way Denver could have beaten UND in a 7 game series like the NHL. Also there is no shame in losing to a hot goalie.

can I quote you on that if that is ever used as an excuse of a loss to the Gophers?! ;)

WPoS

- 1940 Gophers were unbeaten, untied and had Mariucci on the team.  They also beat three collegiate opponents in a weekend to claim the AAU title.  Believe it or not, hockey was played a little before UND got their act together.

Sagard, the UND-ers need some gentle reminders now and again ;)

- Last year the WCHA Final Five was nearly as strong of a field as the Frozen Four.  Had DU or UW not slipped up, arguements could have been made that it was as strong as the Frozen Four field.  It still had three of the top five teams in the nation just like the Frozen Four.  It will be rare that the Final five doesn't have two of the top four teams in the nation.

Agreed. W/O UAA in there all the games would have been top notch.

WPoS

The 1997 University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux Mens Hockey Team

- WCHA Regular Season Champions

- WCHA Tournament Champions

- NCAA Champions

The "Trifecta".

I think there's only one greater feat: "The Hrkac Quad" from 1987.

- WCHA Regular Season Champions

- WCHA Tournament Champions

- NCAA Champions

- Hobey Baker Award winner*

* You need solid supporting cast (linemates) to win a Hobey. Somebody has to bury your assists and you have to bury what you're given.

Last years team did have the gritt and I believe way more talent that the 1997 team...

The 2003-2004 Sioux team might be remembered as one of the best UND squads never to win a national championship.

Likely more talent especially at the high end, but last years Sioux was very young. Not more of the "gritt". Both the '97 Sioux and the '04 Sioux had to beat the Gophs in St. Paul for the WCHA playoff title, then face seamingly over matched opponents in their NCAA Quarters.

That '97 team had the guys like Armbrust, Henderson, Defauw, and Bull. Definately not a soft group.

I believe that's the last time the MacNaughton Cup has spent a part of a summer anywhere in Minnesota.

1998 North Dakota

1999 North Dakota

2000 Wisconsin

2001 North Dakota

2002 Denver

2003 Colorado College

2004 North Dakota

Heck, the State of Minnesota has to rely on UM-Duluth in 1993 for the last full-summer MacNaughton sighting! ;):(;)