SiouxSports.com Forum

Ballard gone

fargosioux

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think it will be as bad as we all think it will be. The only decline I'd forsee is defensive scoring by the Gophers. Otherwise, I think their defensive corp can hold things together if Briggs returns strong.

Of course, defensively, they will not be as strong as we are.

Ballard does not play a lick of defense...kind of like Travis Roche. And unfortunately, we know how far Roche has made it in the NHL so far. At least Roche wasn't a dirty player though.

Travis Roche, while being a good player was not a #11 overall pick in the first round. Too bad the scouts don't agree with your comparison. ;) I agree that Keith is not the defensive equal of Jordan or Paul but who is (other than Jones of course). To say he "does not play a lick of defense" is a gross exaggeration and simply untrue.

Travis Roche, while being a good player was not a #11 overall pick in the first round. Too bad the scouts don't agree with your comparison. ;) I agree that Keith is not the defensive equal of Jordan or Paul but who is (other than Jones of course). To say he "does not play a lick of defense" is a gross exaggeration and simply untrue.

I agree with you that Ballard is a good player, but the fact that he was drafted in the 1st round is really irrelevant. Teams draft based upon potential and size. That is like arguing that Phil Sykes and Jason Blake, who were free agents, were not as good as draftees such as Scott Kirton or James Massen, or that James Massen (6th) is better than Brandon Bochenski (7th). Martin St. Louis was undrafted.

I happen to agree with Frozen Tundra that Roche was better defensively than Ballard. Ballard was drafted based upon offensive skills. He has gotten bigger and stronger, so he has a chance of making it to the pros. The fact that he was a No. 1 guarantees him nothing. No. 1 draft choices in hockey and baseball often do not make it because they are drafted so young as opposed to the NFL. Jason Herter was a 1st rounder (8th overall) that never made it and Landon Wilson (First round) did not exactly set the NHL on fire.

I don't think it will be as bad as we all think it will be. The only decline I'd forsee is defensive scoring by the Gophers. Otherwise, I think their defensive corp can hold things together if Briggs returns strong.

Of course, defensively, they will not be as strong as we are.

I like our chances against the Gophers with Briggs in net... ;)

I like our chances against the Gophers with Briggs in net... ;)

Goon, I'd take Briggs over any of your team's hot and cold faucet goalies...I'd feel like Homer taking a shower with Bart at the kitchen sink if I was a UND fan! :(

WPoS

Looking at those stats, Gopher fans better pray that Briggs doesn't suffer through a Sophomore slump. His numbers from last season are ugly and if they get any worse, especially when factoring in the possibility of three freshmen d seeing ice time down there and Vanek never entering the d-zone or backchecking, it could be a bumpy season in Gopher land.

And, man, does that thought sadden me. ;);):(

Goon, I'd take Briggs over any of your team's hot and cold faucet goalies...I'd feel like Homer taking a shower with Bart at the kitchen sink if I was a UND fan! ;)

WPoS

You Goph fans are all Happy, or Happy wannabes. Post negative stuff about Sioux goalies enough and "hope" it comes true. Good luck with that Briggs guy. Maybe the younger dmen will be better in their own end than Ballard was, although the chances of having one as good on the PP is slim.

You Goph fans are all Happy, or Happy wannabes. Post negative stuff about Sioux goalies enough and "hope" it comes true. Good luck with that Briggs guy. Maybe the younger dmen will be better in their own end than Ballard was, although the chances of having one as good on the PP is slim.

Sprig:

NCAA titles in the new millennium:

UMN 2

UND 0

2>0!

:(

WPoS

Man I MUST be bored to be stirring the pot over here! ;)

If Jake Brandt plays well next season (not great, just well), he's likely to end up in UND's record book second only to Karl Goehring in many categories. Not too bad for a "hot and cold" goalie.