SiouxSports.com Forum

Ballard gone

fargosioux

David Vest

The Arizona Republic

Jun. 8, 2004 12:00 AM

The Coyotes are expected to announce the signing of University of Minnesota junior defenseman Keith Ballard today, according to people within the organization.

Ballard, who could not be reached for comment, was one of 10 finalists for this past season's Hobey Baker Award, given annually to the top Division I hockey player.

The Coyotes acquired Ballard's rights from the Colorado Avalanche on March 9 in the trade that also brought defenseman Derek Morris to Phoenix for center Chris Gratton, defenseman Ossi Vaananen and a second-round draft pick in 2005.

Ballard (5 feet 11, 200 pounds), from Baudette, Minn., notched 11 goals and 25 assists in 37 games in his junior season at Minnesota.

He recently helped the U.S. team earn a bronze medal at the IIHF World Championships.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

more dancing in the streets this year in ND I'd bet. This does kinda suck for the Gophers and helps all of our opponents...my favorite memory will be Ballard pulling the jersey over the head of the Sioux player and then going up ice to score...

This most likely means Vanek will also be gone this year...may be a tough row to hoe... :lol:

I'll congratulate you guys on the WCHA title right now. :sad:

WPoS

my favorite memory will be Ballard pulling the jersey over the head of the Sioux player and then going up ice to score...

Your favorite memory of Ballard will be of him cheating to win? :sad:

That is my most vulgar memory of Ballard. Desecrating a national monument, an American icon, like that. No respect I say.

I also remember the muffinhead anchors on the news giggling after showing that footage. I knew then it was the beginning of a long bumpy road against the Gophs. And it was.

taz

Well, it's still early in the summer, so Sioux fans may not want to start dancing yet. We still have some of our own guys who could take the $$$ and run.

That said, I am so glad to see Ballard gone. He's a guy you would love to see on your own squad, but hate to see lining up on the other side. :sad::lol: Best of luck Keith.

Well, it's still early in the summer, so Sioux fans may not want to start dancing yet. We still have some of our own guys who could take the $$$ and run.

That said, I am so glad to see Ballard gone. He's a guy you would love to see on your own squad, but hate to see lining up on the other side. :sad::lol: Best of luck Keith.

amen

The thing about the "Ballard Play" was that the Sioux had owned the Gophs for basically five years, especially in the games that counted. The Gophs had done very well against the Sioux that season, but I was still worried about that best of three series.

When the Gophs grinded out that OT game, including a huge save by Hauser on I think Bayda all alone in the slot, I thought it was finally the Gophers year.

Basically that play served as payback for the all too frequent third period collapses in Grand Forks.

Ballard should be a solid nhl player like Leopold is.

I've never thought Ballard was anywhere near Leopold or Martin in defensive ability and I have always questioned whether or not he could make it to the NHL. Everybody else has always loved him, and obviously he will get a shot at some point.

PCM, Sic, Taz,

Like if a Sioux player did that you wouldn't find the "good" in it...don't be a hypocrite! :sad:

If a Sioux player did the same thing, I'd probably think it was a funny moment to remember. However, for a player of Ballard's caliber, I'd think that Gopher fans could hang their nostalgia hats on a big play he made that didn't involve winning a playoff game by resorting to "unsportsmanlike conduct." And I'd be embarrassed if my homer TV sportscasters continually talked about that illegal play and used it as Sioux highlight reel material.

But that's just me.

If a Sioux player did the same thing, I'd probably think it was a funny moment to remember. However, for a player of Ballard's caliber, I'd think that Gopher fans could hang their nostalgia hats on a big play he made that didn't involve winning a playoff game by resorting to "unsportsmanlike conduct." And I'd be embarrassed if my homer TV sportscasters continually talked about that illegal play and used it as Sioux highlight reel material.

But that's just me.

Don't alot of longtime Sioux fans fondly remember J. Archibalds fights vs. the 37 goals he scored his senior year?

Ballard's play will always be near the top of a Gopher fan's list of favorites. Other than his opening goal in the '02 Final, it was likely his most significant goal.

Other than his opening goal in the '02 Final, it was likely his most significant goal.

Honsetly, I don't see why. Do you really believe that the Sioux were capable of winning a best of three series against the Gophers that season?

Honsetly, I don't see why. Do you really believe that the Sioux were capable of winning a best of three series against the Gophers that season?

I did. After 3-4 years of UND beating MN like a rug there had to be a little voice in the back of the Gopher player's heads telling them they could still loose the series. It's just Ballard's little voice was a little more...ahem....agressive than most. :sad: