SiouxSports.com Forum

Ballard gone

fargosioux

Briggs outplayed a UND goaltender at the end of the season and that is what counts IMO.

WPoS

You sound like a St. Cloud fan now. I don't understand that mentality.

Hey, we just made the NCAA tourney, let's hang a banner. Hey, our goalie outplayed one of your goalies at the end of the season, let's hang a banner. Jeez . . . .

Your statement implies that you are content with Brigg's giving up EIGHT goals in two WCHA playoff games and then looking shaky at best in the first against Notre Dame and then performing poorly against UMD and NOT making the Frozen Four?

Knowing your passion for the Gophs, I would expect more out of you, whether you are just "stirring" the pot or not.

Objectively speaking based on numbers, Briggs was very average last year backstopping what should have been a powerhouse and his numbers are less than desireable any way you cut it, but hey, if you can find a moral victory in mediocrity, more power to you.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You sound like a St. Cloud fan now. I don't understand that mentality.

Hey, we just made the NCAA tourney, let's hang a banner. Hey, our goalie outplayed one of your goalies at the end of the season, let's hang a banner. Jeez . . . .

Your statement implies that you are content with Brigg's giving up EIGHT goals in two WCHA playoff games and then looking shaky at best in the first against Notre Dame and then performing poorly against UMD and NOT making the Frozen Four?

Knowing your passion for the Gophs, I would expect more out of you, whether you are just "stirring" the pot or not.

Objectively speaking based on numbers, Briggs was very average last year backstopping what should have been a powerhouse and his numbers are less than desireable any way you cut it, but hey, if you can find a moral victory in mediocrity, more power to you.

ok, yah you got me, I am basically THAT bored that I am stirring (been sick for three days). Personally, I would like to see Kellen improve a ton. Not since Callinan (sieve extradonaire) have I been as apprehensive of a good team playing the Gophers. I am seriously hoping that the new recruits can show a little better numbers in the coming year.

That said, I really don't like the UND goaltenders that much either, yes, they have good numbers, but I DO think a large part of that is the D in front of them. I have seen BOTH of them melt down, and badly. OR that may just be how they are run by Managment, I don't know.

WPoS

Nice to see you here, WPOS. From my early season viewings of Briggs, I thought he was good and was going to be MN's starter. I think he is better than last year's numbers, and that he will put up better ones this year.

As for UND's strong defense, I agree that it helped to lower the goalies' GAA. When you see not much more than 20 shots per game, you're not going to post a bad GAA. For me, though, the defense does nothing for the saves percentage, which was simply outstanding for both Sioux goalies. Many Sioux fans have believed that Blais' style (offense, offense and then ... more offense) leads to fewer shots against (because the opponent can't get the puck), but higher quality chances (because the Sioux get caught up ice). That would make the saves percentage even more impressive.

I will grant you that I had that bad old feeling again watching Brandt in the WCHA title game, his worst of the year, I think. 5 goals on 38 (?) shots isn't horrible, but his few softies definitely didn't inspire confidence.

While Hauser got away with a few in the Maine game (not callable unless there's an even-up on tap, which there was), it's only fair to note that Parise had his stick up quite a few times last year, especially against MN. Your hack is my player with an edge.

Nice to see you here, WPOS.  From my early season viewings of Briggs, I thought he was good and was going to be MN's starter.  I think he is better than last year's numbers, and that he will put up better ones this year.

As for UND's strong defense, I agree that it helped to lower the goalies' GAA.  When you see not much more than 20 shots per game, you're not going to post a bad GAA.  For me, though, the defense does nothing for the saves percentage, which was simply outstanding for both Sioux goalies.  Many Sioux fans have believed that Blais' style (offense, offense and then ... more offense) leads to fewer shots against (because the opponent can't get the puck), but higher quality chances (because the Sioux get caught up ice).  That would make the saves percentage even more impressive.

I will grant you that I had that bad old feeling again watching Brandt in the WCHA title game, his worst of the year, I think.  5 goals on 38 (?) shots isn't horrible, but his few softies definitely didn't inspire confidence.

While Hauser got away with a few in the Maine game (not callable unless there's an even-up on tap, which there was), it's only fair to note that Parise had his stick up quite a few times last year, especially against MN.  Your hack is my player with an edge.

a stat I'd like to see (maybe it exists already?) is a quality shot save %. Lots of teams will end up just dumping in on the goalie if the D is strong and doesn't allow quality shots, thus upping the save percentage with "easy" saves.

To me THAT would be the stat to back up whos goaltender is better than whos.

WPoS

Lots of teams will end up just dumping in on the goalie if the D is strong and doesn't allow quality shots, thus upping the save percentage with "easy" saves.

To me THAT would be the stat to back up whos goaltender is better than whos.

Since you had the "best defenseman in NCAA hockey" in Kieth Ballard, I would say our goaltenders were better. ;)

Since you had the "best defenseman in NCAA hockey" in Kieth Ballard, I would say our goaltenders were better. ;)

now when did I say that? The best in NCAA play last year wasn't Ballard, but he was in the top 10 for sure.

Now the year before we did in P-Mart.

WPoS

I think we are all too hung up on each other. I love stats, but I don't care what stats Briggs, Parise or Brandt post. Last year I would have picked Berkhoel, Bruckler, or Reichmuth over any of the above. I'm guessing there will be three more WCHA goalies next year that I'd take over a Sioux or Gopher goalie.

I think we are all too hung up on each other. I love stats, but I don't care what stats Briggs, Parise or Brandt post. Last year I would have picked Berkhoel, Bruckler, or Reichmuth over any of the above. I'm guessing there will be three more WCHA goalies next year that I'd take over a Sioux or Gopher goalie.

You are correct...and neither one of our goal tenders or Briggs brought their respective team a title so this whole discussion really is moot.

I seem to recall UND winning the title in 2000.  Runner up in 2001.  ;)

actaully the 21st century STARTED in 2001. 2000 is the LAST year of the 20th century. 2000 was the "100th" year of the century, not the first year...get with your millenium man!

WPoS

Question? How long did it take you to get your banner??? 20 something years!!!

Oh and then you had a North Dakota kid on the team when it happened !!!!! Interesting

just for fun, how many MN kids on the banner years for UND? Your comments are old and not even in the realm of friendly banter....

;)

WPoS

You are correct...and neither one of our goal tenders or Briggs brought their respective team a title so this whole discussion really is moot.

You're half right. UND did win a title. It was the WCHA championship. And although neither Brandt nor Parise won a national championship, they didn't lose it, either.

That said, I really don't like the UND goaltenders that much either, yes, they have good numbers, but I DO think a large part of that is the D in front of them.

Fans of opposing teams said the same thing about Karl Goehring.

I meant to say national title.

Don't Brandt and Parise deserve some credit for the Sioux winning the WCHA title and making the team a No. 1 seed in the NCAA tournament? Dean Blais certainly thought so.

Don't Brandt and Parise deserve some credit for the Sioux winning the WCHA title and making the team a No. 1 seed in the NCAA tournament? Dean Blais certainly thought so.

They deserve a hell of a lot of credit - they both played outstanding hockey this past season. My comment isn't meant to take anything away from their achievements or from Briggs for that matter. Neither our goaltenders or Briggs brought a National Title home so it is moot arguing who's net minder is best.

Neither our goaltenders or Briggs brought a National Title home so it is moot arguing who's net minder is best.

Okay, no more arguing about whose players are better until next season. Only the team that won the national championship can claim to have the best players.

Okay, no more arguing about whose players are better until next season. Only the team that won the national championship can claim to have the best players.

What is the be all end all PCM? How many times have we as Sioux fans played the 7>5? Now Gophers fans are playing the 2>0. When it comes right down to it you remember who won the titles - period. Yeah we have great net minders and I hope they collectively bring us #8 next year.

What is the be all end all PCM? How many times have we as Sioux fans played the 7>5? Now Gophers fans are playing the 2>0. When it comes right down to it you remember who won the titles - period. Yeah we have great net minders and I hope they collectively bring us #8 next year.

cfm, I wouldn't say "Gopher fans" are playing a 2>0 card, I was just poking some fun, since we have to look down that long barrel of 7>5 we get to hear about....

WPoS