SiouxSports.com Forum

Ballard gone

fargosioux

I believe that's the last time the MacNaughton Cup has spent a part of a summer anywhere in Minnesota.

1998 North Dakota

1999 North Dakota

2000 Wisconsin

2001 North Dakota

2002 Denver

2003 Colorado College

2004 North Dakota

Heck, the State of Minnesota has to rely on UM-Duluth in 1993 for the last full-summer MacNaughton sighting! ;);):(

true... ;)

How goes your Hobey winners? ;);)

WPOS

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

- Had the 1997 Sioux not gotten "lucky", I really think either the '98 or the '99 Sioux would have pulled it off. Also it was really just a great draw, they didn't need luck in any of those games. The draw opened up the tourney like the '02 tourney opened up for the Gophs.

- The 13 Regular Season Titles is in fact amazing.

- 1940 Gophers were unbeaten, untied and had Mariucci on the team. They also beat three collegiate opponents in a weekend to claim the AAU title. Believe it or not, hockey was played a little before UND got their act together.

- Last year the WCHA Final Five was nearly as strong of a field as the Frozen Four. Had DU or UW not slipped up, arguements could have been made that it was as strong as the Frozen Four field. It still had three of the top five teams in the nation just like the Frozen Four. It will be rare that the Final five doesn't have two of the top four teams in the nation.

I happen to agree that the 98 and 99 teams were more talented, but they had to go to Michigan in 98 and lost a heartbreaker. I think UM and Denver can relate.

However, I used to think that NDSU fans were lame in arguing that the club hockey titles were legitimate until I started hearing Gopher fans contending that the Gophers actually have more "championships" based upon AAU titles. Very lame. Did they wear rubber boots when they beat powerhouses like Crookston High School? ;)

Whats AAU?

that was what existed before the NCAA's were formed/made...

as for how much titles from that era count, most of the big power house schools had teams back then, so they count for SOMETHING IMO. Not as high as NCAA titles, but still worth some props.

WPoS

sprig:

Your wish is my command.

From http://www.forecaster.ca/hockeynews/hockey...t-Profiles1to25

32. Travis Zajac, C, Salmon Arm (BCHL) -- 6-2, 205 R (59 GP, 43-69-112, 110 PIM)

Was ranked No. 1 by Central Scouting among North American skaters outside of the CHL and NCAA ranks. Has great size for the pivot position, but is also a capable point producer. Will even mix it up whenever tempers start to flare. Should attend the University of North Dakota in 2004-05, and is expected to be one of the top freshmen in the country. Must prove he can elevate his game against a higher brand of competition. May need more time to develop but projects to be a top-six forward at the NHL level.

Stafford is listed at 12 in the link.

I happen to agree that the 98 and 99 teams were more talented, but they had to go to Michigan in 98 and lost a heartbreaker. I think UM and Denver can relate.

However, I used to think that NDSU fans were lame in arguing that the club hockey titles were legitimate until I started hearing Gopher fans contending that the Gophers actually have more "championships" based upon AAU titles. Very lame. Did they wear rubber boots when they beat powerhouses like Crookston High School?  ;)

Heck, CC, SCSU and UW can relate about drawing Michigan.

I don't intend to try to group the AAU title with the NCAA titles and make a 7 > 6 arguement. However, I do not have a problem with the 1940 banner hanging at Mariucci. Based on the teams record it was clearly the best Gopher team in the programs first 50 years (maybe ever, I didn't see them play :( ) and it is the only unbeaten, untied Gopher hockey team ever. The '26 Gophers were undefeated, but had three ties in only 11 games.

Just think, in 17 years you all are going to get awfully sick of the 100th Aniversary of POI. ;)

Maybe it's just my aged, Swiss-cheese brain malfunctioning, but when I think of the '97 Sioux team, I think of them as a classic speed, finesse and skill team. Many of those players were too small to be considered pro prospects. They weren't dubbed "The Smurfs" for nothing.

Yes, there were some gritty, physical players on the '97 team team. I'm surprised that nobody mentioned my favorite, Adam Calder.

I think the 03-04 Sioux had just as many gritty, physical forwards as the '97 team. Among them I would count Murray, Bochenski, Parise, Porter, Hale, McMahon and Prpich. Stafford had his moments, too, and will get better with more muscle, experience and maturity.

Last year's team was awfully good, but I think either 1998 or 1999 in my mind were the best team to not win a championship. Karl in nets, and teams that practically sleepwalked through the regular season schedule because they were so much better than everyone else.

Of course, that might have been their undoing.

Last year's team was awfully good, but I think either 1998 or 1999 in my mind were the best team to not win a championship.

Time will tell, but I'm looking at the 2003-2004 Sioux team from the perspective of how many players from it are likely to have successful NHL careers. I also believe that there wasn't a single team in this year's Frozen Four that the Sioux couldn't have beaten.

Time will tell, but I'm looking at the 2003-2004 Sioux team from the perspective of how many players from it are likely to have successful NHL careers. I also believe that there wasn't a single team in this year's Frozen Four that the Sioux couldn't have beaten.

Can't argue with you there. I absolutely feel like this was a missed opportunity.

I don't intend to try to group the AAU title with the NCAA titles and make a 7 > 6 arguement. However, I do not have a problem with the 1940 banner hanging at Mariucci. Based on the teams record it was clearly the best Gopher team in the programs first 50 years (maybe ever, I didn't see them play ;) )

So PCM, im sure you saw that team play, how good were they?