SiouxSports.com Forum

Report Cards

The Sicatoka

I'm probably going to win the "Most Inflammatory Posting of the Off-Season" award with this. Somebody has to.

Remember, these are my opinions, they aren't right, they aren't wrong, but they are what I would feel comfortable or dare saying to the face of the player.

Here's what my report cards to individuals and groups would be after the 2003-2004 season:

PS - I'm only going to comment on guys I saw play in person and for more than just one game.

Report Cards:

Schneider: Where were you, especially offensively? After a super-soph campaign I'm not sure what happened. I hope you do. A return to that sophomore year form would be good for you and the team.

Jones: Very nice. Keep up the good work. But you did take a couple of questionable penalties late in the season. Keep those in check. Thanks.

Fuher: Mr. Unsung Hero. Work on the strength in front of your net.

Greene: Excellent progress this year. The next step is more confidence on the offensive end of the ice.

Marvin: You had the toughest role around. Being short on lefty forwards, were you a defenseman who could play left-wing, or a left-wing playing back? Either way, keep playing smart hockey when you're out.

Smaby: You're coming along nicely. No defenseman feels comfortable in the WCHA in their first year. Next year is when you start to control your end of the ice when you are out. You're right on the pace Greene and Jones were on. They're on the track you want to be on.

Bina: What a pleasant surprise with the puck. Work on decisions and positioning when you don't have it.

Defensemen: You all need to work on getting the shot from the point past the first defender.

Bochenski: Everyone thinks someone else made Bo. I remember your 17-15-32 freshman scoring line. I recall you getting four on a future Hobey finalist goalie when your centerman was in Nova Scotia at the WJC. Who made who? This team will go as far as you decide to lead them.

Canady: Love the speed and work. You need to focus that on the goal (as in, the goal, shooting and scoring) and work on the self-discipline. No more silly penalties.

Fylling: Some games you are a world-beater with speed and intensity. Other games I can't find you. I need to know you'll be there every game.

Genoway: I'm sure your role confused you. Let's make this simple. Your job is to come off the ice with a better plus-minus than the guy you're facing. Outscore him, because I know you can.

Massen: The hands, the shot, the ability, you're using all the assets but one: the body. You're bigger than most you face. Use it to your advantage. And please start moving the feet. You not just cheating yourself when you don't. Stay in GF and work on those this summer.

McMahon: Your first responsibility will be always be defense because you are an expert at it, but you have to bury the chances you create or that are given to you.

Prpich: The agitator extraordinaire. Keep it up, but be conscious of taking dumb penalties also. You, like McMahon, need to bury everything that gets onto your stick. You'll be a junior. You need to take more responsibility in the offensive end. Considering you are one of the few lefty forwards, this is especially so.

Fabian: Keep doing what the coaches tell you in practice and work on those feet for speed. Do those two things and you'll create a spot for yourself on the left wing somewhere.

Murray: No longer the freshman and no longer in the shadow of your centerman, this is your time to show everyone what you can do, just like you did in Salmon Arm.

Porter: The most pleasant surprise of the year. Nothing like seeing a big strong fast left-handed wing working the puck free along the wall and setting up scoring chances.

Stafford: Amazing start, quiet finish. I'm not sure what happened. I suspect the long season (including a gold medal) wore you down. A full season at the torrid pace you started at and you'll be rewarded at the next levels.

Forwards: We need 12 guys working as four lines all working to outscore each other (nothing like a little friendly competition) and the other team every night. And outscore doesn't necessarily mean outscore either: It means getting the goal you need when you need it, to win, either 2-1 or 7-6. If you don't do it, who will?

Brandt: Another year of outstanding numbers and no credit. Follow the advice I was told that your father gave you: Simplify. When you do that you are outstanding.

Parise: One of the best freshman goaltending performances in UND history. I could argue that you put yourself on pace to be the Parise that people will more remember in the future. Trust your defense and coaches. They know you can move it; they know when it's better for you not to. Trust them.

Goaltending: The nay-sayers don't believe in you. The numbers don't lie. Keep putting up the numbers and making the nay-sayers look foolish.

Good post. Most improved would have to be Genoway. I believe Massen was and will be the culprit of much depth on this team. Jones, Smaby, Porter, and Stafford need to bring more intensity to every game. Overall not to much to improve on. The team did win the WCHA and lost to the eventual champs. But yes I would definately like to see more offensive numbers from the defense.

I believe Massen was and will be the culprit of much depth on this team.

I agree that he was, but I don't agree that he will be. With his size and skill, IF he puts in the requisite time this summer and shakes the distractions, I believe he can have a great senior season and surprise his opponents as well as the Sioux fans.

I'm probably going to win the "Most Inflammatory Posting of the Off-Season" award with this. Somebody has to.

Remember, these are my opinions, they aren't right, they aren't wrong, but they are what I would feel comfortable or dare saying to the face of the player.

Here's what my report cards to individuals and groups would be after the 2003-2004 season:

PS - I'm only going to comment on guys I saw play in person and for more than just one game.

Report Cards:

Schneider: Where were you, especially offensively? After a super-soph campaign I'm not sure what happened. I hope you do. A return to that sophomore year form would be good for you and the team.

Jones: Very nice. Keep up the good work. But you did take a couple of questionable penalties late in the season. Keep those in check. Thanks.

Fuher: Mr. Unsung Hero. Work on the strength in front of your net.

Greene: Excellent progress this year. The next step is more confidence on the offensive end of the ice.

Marvin: You had the toughest role around. Being short on lefty forwards, were you a defenseman who could play left-wing, or a left-wing playing back? Either way, keep playing smart hockey when you're out.

Smaby: You're coming along nicely. No defenseman feels comfortable in the WCHA in their first year. Next year is when you start to control your end of the ice when you are out. You're right on the pace Greene and Jones were on. They're on the track you want to be on.

Bina: What a pleasant surprise with the puck. Work on decisions and positioning when you don't have it.

Defensemen: You all need to work on getting the shot from the point past the first defender.

Bochenski: Everyone thinks someone else made Bo. I remember your 17-15-32 freshman scoring line. I recall you getting four on a future Hobey finalist goalie when your centerman was in Nova Scotia at the WJC. Who made who? This team will go as far as you decide to lead them.

Canady: Love the speed and work. You need to focus that on the goal (as in, the goal, shooting and scoring) and work on the self-discipline. No more silly penalties.

Fylling: Some games you are a world-beater with speed and intensity. Other games I can't find you. I need to know you'll be there every game.

Genoway: I'm sure your role confused you. Let's make this simple. Your job is to come off the ice with a better plus-minus than the guy you're facing. Outscore him, because I know you can.

Massen: The hands, the shot, the ability, you're using all the assets but one: the body. You're bigger than most you face. Use it to your advantage. And please start moving the feet. You not just cheating yourself when you don't. Stay in GF and work on those this summer.

McMahon: Your first responsibility will be always be defense because you are an expert at it, but you have to bury the chances you create or that are given to you.

Prpich: The agitator extraordinaire. Keep it up, but be conscious of taking dumb penalties also. You, like McMahon, need to bury everything that gets onto your stick. You'll be a junior. You need to take more responsibility in the offensive end. Considering you are one of the few lefty forwards, this is especially so.

Fabian: Keep doing what the coaches tell you in practice and work on those feet for speed. Do those two things and you'll create a spot for yourself on the left wing somewhere.

Murray: No longer the freshman and no longer in the shadow of your centerman, this is your time to show everyone what you can do, just like you did in Salmon Arm.

Porter: The most pleasant surprise of the year. Nothing like seeing a big strong fast left-handed wing working the puck free along the wall and setting up scoring chances.

Stafford: Amazing start, quiet finish. I'm not sure what happened. I suspect the long season (including a gold medal) wore you down. A full season at the torrid pace you started at and you'll be rewarded at the next levels.

Forwards: We need 12 guys working as four lines all working to outscore each other (nothing like a little friendly competition) and the other team every night. And outscore doesn't necessarily mean outscore either: It means getting the goal you need when you need it, to win, either 2-1 or 7-6. If you don't do it, who will?

Brandt: Another year of outstanding numbers and no credit. Follow the advice I was told that your father gave you: Simplify. When you do that you are outstanding.

Parise: One of the best freshman goaltending performances in UND history. I could argue that you put yourself on pace to be the Parise that people will more remember in the future. Trust your defense and coaches. They know you can move it; they know when it's better for you not to. Trust them.

Goaltending: The nay-sayers don't believe in you. The numbers don't lie. Keep putting up the numbers and making the nay-sayers look foolish.

Going back to my college days I would have to say that your analysis is about a B+/A- give or take a few.

My Report Card (with grades)

Forwards

Brandon Bochenski: A+. Very good season, led the top scoring team in the nation in points.

Zach Parise: A+. Very good season, Hobey finalist.

Brady Murray: A. Outstanding freshman season.

Colby Genoway: A. Biggest surprise of the year.

Drew Stafford: A. Very solid freshman season.

Chris Porter: A. Surprising freshman season.

Rory McMahon: B+. Ten goals from the third-liner is very nice to see. Something the Sioux didn't have a year ago.

Quinn Fylling: B. Solid season.

David Lundbohm: B. Slow start, good finish.

Erik Fabian: B. Didn't play much, but was solid when he did. Looked like he is coming along.

Mike Prpich: B-. At times did a great job slowing down other team's big men. At times struggled and took bad penalties.

Ryan Hale: C-. He'd probably be a better defenseman than forward.

Brian Canady: D. Was a scratch most the time, didn't make much of an impact when he played.

James Massen: F. What happened to him? Great start to last year, has lots of potential, did nothing at all this year.

Tyler Palmiscno: F. No reason he should have made the team this year.

Defensemen

Matt Greene: A. Picked up the offense, toned down the bad penalties. He was pushing people around all year. It is a nice surprise to have him back.

Matt Jones: A. Solid defensively. Solid offensively. Consistant.

Nick Fuher: A-. Highest scoring defenseman this year.

Matt Smaby: B. Solid freshman year.

Robbie Bina: B. Didn't play a whole lot. Was alright when he did.

Andy Schneider: F. Was outstanding both defensively and offensively last year. Very ineffective on both ends this year.

Lee Marvin: F. Didn't get an assist this year. Would probably be a better checking forward.

Scott Foyt: N/A. Didn't play enough to get a grade.

Goalies

Jordan Parise: A+. His GAA is 2nd all-time for a single season in Sioux history. Outstanding freshman season.

Jake Brandt: A. His GAA is 4th all-time for a single season in Sioux history. Another solid season for Brandt.

Nate Ziegelmann: N/A. Didn't play enough to get a grade.

Tyler Palmiscno: F. No reason he should have made the team this year.

I think that assessment is a little harsh. Tyler worked hard for four seasons and I respect the fact that he stuck it out and and didn't hang up the skates. Tyler may not be very big but he showed heart and preservence.

I think that assessment is a little harsh. Tyler worked hard for four seasons and I respect the fact that he stuck it out and and didn't hang up the skates. Tyler may not be very big but he showed heart and preservence.

Let us not forget the role he played in the Subway Holiday Classic.

How about we all be honest here. Palmiscno sucked. Go ahead and pat him on the back for scoring on some terrible teams in the Subway Classic. In all reality you guys all know that we could take a handful of players off Central and Red River's teams who could have done what he did this year. Good for him that he tried and hung in there. The bottom line is that he doesn't have the talent. Ruslan Fedotenko (now on the No. 1 seeded Tampa Bay Lightning) made him look a lot better in juniors than he actually was.

Andy Schneider: F. Was outstanding both defensively and offensively last year. Very ineffective on both ends this year.

Considering that Schneider was +27 for the season, which tied him for sixth on the team and fourth among defensemen, an F hardly seems appropriate.

How about we all be honest here. Palmiscno sucked.

Robbie Bina: B. Didn't play a whole lot. Was alright when he did.

Isn't Deek the name of the gay rapist in Pulp Fiction? I asked before but never did here an answer.

Palmo sucks? He has as much talent as most Sioux players, but he was lacking in size and strength. He had several injuries over his career that prevented him from getting a regular shift. This year was the only one he was a regular healthy scratch, but so was Massen I suppose he sucks too?

From all accounts Palmo is a classy guy who had some bad luck with injuries and being born with a small frame.

Bina played in 31 of 41 games, I would consider that playing a lot. His play was a little inconsistent at times, but was much better than most expected.

Palmo sucks? He has as much talent as most Sioux players

While there in no need to say he "sucks," I think you are looking throught the Sioux goggles a bit much with this statement. There is nothing wrong with saying teh guy simply wasn't good enough to play everynight. That is maybe a credit to how good the rest ofthe team was...but if he was as talented...it would have shown somewhere

Really good stuff, The Sicatoka. Thanks. I have just a few comments.

Schneider: He did have some rough outings, but I can also say that I saw him have some outstanding games in the second half. In his sophomore season, he generated a lot of offense by stepping up and blasting a hard shot from the point, which was sometimes deflected or generated a juicy rebound. That seemed to be missing this year.

Canady: I thought he cut down on the penalties quite a lot this year. It seemed like the message got through to him, and he basically played straight up when he played. Just checked - here are his numbers:

01-02 36 GP, 4-4-8, 49 PIMs

02-03 26 GP, 1-2-3, 42 PIMs

03-04 19 GP, 2-2-4, 12 PIMs

I realize I am in the minority, but I think if he could get a regular shift he could have a solid senior season. He has straightened out the penalty situation and has the tools (good speed and decent size and hands) plus the energy to contribute offensively.

Massen: Attributes The Sicatoka mentioned were hands, shot, ability and body. To me, the key attribute that seemed missing when I saw him play was intensity. He needs to **Make It Happen**, rather than waiting for the play to come to him. I agree with many Sioux fans that an effective James Massen could have a huge impact on this team's fortunes.

Prpich: Seems to step up his play in the postseason, which is nice. Still, in contrast to Canady, Prpich's penalty situation got quite a lot worse this year (55 PIMs in 40 GP in 02-03, growing to 95 PIMs in 37 GP in 03-04. Considering the reputation he brought to college, I was shocked that he was so disciplined (relative to my expectations) as a freshman. I am a big fan of his game and understand that his role necessarily brings penalties with it, but I hope he cuts down on the needless ones.

---------------------------

Stepping away from grades, I thought I would float this one by the Panel of Experts. In the fall of 1999, the first-line void was filled with a big returning goal-scorer (Goren), a highly-touted freshman from the BCHL (Bayda), and a centerman who had labored in the shadow of the big class that just graduated and had shown little hint of what was to come offensively (Ulmer). I think that line was intact for most of the year, and its effectiveness is written into Sioux lore.

I'm pondering the possibility of those roles being filled this year by: Bochenski, Zajac and ... (drumroll, please) ... McMahon. I know what his role has been in his first three years, and that he has not been flashy. Still, he has been quietly efficient, and as an example I reference one of the last good scoring chances UND had last year, when Denver made a rare mistake and sprung McMahon and Prpich free on a 2-on-1 late in the second period. McMahon had one job, to get the puck to Prpich in a good spot, and he did it. Perhaps that kind of workmanlike puck-distribution would be good for Bochenski. Likewise, having a center who wins a lot of draws couldn't hurt on the top line.

I understand that Zajac on a wing would take away one of the team's centers, but maybe Stafford or Murray are ready to take that spot. I also know that McMahon is a key feature on the checking line, but Fylling and Prpich are fixtures there, and Canady and Kaip might ably fill that spot.

jk, I was scoffing at first but as I read on I admit at the least you have an arguable position.

I think Schneider picked it up at the end of the year. I'm not concerned about him next year.

I thought Stafford suffered a lull in the middle but came on strong again at the end. Excited to see him next year.

Massen lacked intensity too, I thought. I hope he can come back with a new effort next year. This year Zajac has been setting up a lot of Chucko's goals in SA. How nice would it be if Zajac was setting up Big James next year on a regular basis?

I agree with jk on Canady. Though he played less I thought Brian played better than he had the previous 2 years. I think he has a chance to play regularly again next year. And I think other than 1 of 2 penalties I thought he did very well in that area.

Prpich needs to cut down on some of the penalties. I agree with jk's position that in his first year I was very impressed with how he handled himself on the ice (even if other team's fans weren't) but this year I didn't like about 1/2 of his penalties. Prp would be one of my votes for captain IF he can still play with an edge but stay on the ice.

Genoway showed stretches where he was outstanding and stretches where I thought he was barely noticeable. I don't think he plays a very "noticeable" game in the first place so maybe it's more me than him, but we need to see him consistently being a factor on the ice. A great improvement from the year before. If he can keep that progressing he'll have an excellent year next year. I grade this as a "good" year.

One worry I have is that this year, a lot of the times when Bochenski scored it was a direct result of someone setting him up beautifully. That role belonged pretty much entirely to Parise this year. Parise would get into the corners and dig out the puck, or make a defensive steal, or some other such play to get the puck on Brandon's stick so he could score. I was not and will not be worried that Parise isn't around next year, but nevertheless someone needs to be centering who is a play-maker. Brandon isn't a huge one...who will be??

I've got a couple of things to add...

Schneider... I think we were all expecting some bigger numbers out of him, but I thought he had a fairly solid season, leading this team to a WCHA title. Thats a great accomplishment in my book.

My thoughts on Stafford "dying out" are that he started off the year with big time goals, scoring plenty of game winners to gain alot of attention, as the season went on, his scoring was more quiet. Great hands and speed and size and hockey sense, I think he needs to be a little more physical and work on his shot a little.

It was my impression that Massen had a bit more weight on him than he should have (don't quote me on this, because it might not be true at all) but I remember someone saying towards the beginning of the season that Massen looked like "the incredible hulk". Good offensive skills but needs to work on quickness in my opinion, and should play more physically/intensely.

Smaby is going to be the next Matt Greene, except a better skater ( I think ). His progress this season was outstanding, and I hope he keeps improving at his current pace. Only thing to work on was puck control, but that will come with time.

Genoway was my favorite player to see this year. After having a tough first WCHA season and struggling to make the lineup every night, he has become one of the best passers on the team and worked his way up to the first line for some of the year. I would like to see him be the first line center next season and hopefully develop a leadership role, because it seems to me that he has great discipline. A good example for the younger players coming in trying to make things happen.

Greene/Jones - If there was a better D-pair in the country you'll have to show me. These two stick around for next season and they are going to be monsters.

Goaltending, in my opinion, was one of the best areas all season long. While the Defense helped their numbers a little, Brandt and Parise made big saves at big times, something that had been missing from the Sioux pipes for a while. It's good to see solidity in that area again. I think Jordan Parise could develop into one of the best goaltenders in the league if he keeps working hard. For in between the pipes, I'm a Parise fan. I like the way he moves the puck - reminds me a little of Marty Turco, and I think the Parise work ethic shines in him as well.

Porter was the biggest suprise of the season for me. He is the perfect power forward, in my opinion, with speed, size, toughness, and power along the boards, good all around game, just keep working hard. I like to see him playing with Bo and Genoway for some reason...

Thats all I got, everything else was pretty much covered.