SiouxSports.com Forum

2018 Season

Dustin

1 hour ago, Dustin said:

That's on the defense and setter not getting the ball to where she needs it.  Been my gripe the whole season.  I honestly think Mattson would been better than Rautio.  I thought coach already burned Vetter's shirt, so why she doesn't play at all must say something about the current status of UND volleyball's setter position.  Needs major improvement for next year.

I've had some questions about the setting, but I don't know that I would put it all on Rautio. I think she's pretty readable, but when the passing is struggling just about every setter is predictable.

When they're running something off a perfect pass then the tempo and location need to be near perfect, but for most of the high balls the hitter has tons of time to adjust. And there have been a LOT of high balls this year. And we're not in practice, at least I'm not, so I don't know what conversations they're having about out of system attacks. I do know Prior likes hitters to be aggressive, which means taking a swing whenever possible. Against good teams giving a free ball is just about the same as hitting into the net, you are going to lose the point.

I know nothing about the choice of setters, but it couldn't have been easy. Mattson had been here two years (I think?). That's a lot of time on the bench learning how to run the offense from Mia. They must have saw something that helped with the decision. Regardless, they'll be better next year, pretty much guaranteed.

1 hour ago, undVBfan said:

I don't know that I would put it all on Rautio

Definitely not doing that. But I still think she leaves something to be desired. How spoiled we were to have 8 years of Husfeldt and Griffin. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

My parents from the grapevine say she got fed up and announced she was transferring, and either removed herself or Pryor booted her from the team.  Rather sad for everyone.

After talking to a couple of sets of parents a month or so ago, I am not surprised that Williams is no longer on the team.  I will leave it at that!

Although it has been a lousy season, there is a lot of pretty talented youth on the team.  With some experience, better health and a couple more strong recruits, we should be quite competitive again soon! 

1 hour ago, UND Fan said:

After talking to a couple of sets of parents a month or so ago, I am not surprised that Williams is no longer on the team.  I will leave it at that!

Although it has been a lousy season, there is a lot of pretty talented youth on the team.  With some experience, better health and a couple more strong recruits, we should be quite competitive again soon! 

Their team play has seemed off, so it makes sense that their has been off court issues.

3 hours ago, UND Fan said:

I've heard much of the same, but not from parents. I haven't heard any specific details (purposely didn't ask), but again, I'm not surprised that this where we are. Disappointed, but not surprised (anymore).

There is some serious potential, and a couple of glaring weaknesses. Time might help the current crew, or someone else is the answer. Either way, I'm pretty sure those issues will be addressed.

I suspect too many players are getting a lot of court time much sooner than Coach probably would have wanted to play them. Playing freshman isn't an excuse, and I have never heard Coach use it as an excuse, but at the same time he has a ton of inexperience on the court all at the same time. For the freshman it's a huge jump, the game is SO much quicker, and the reads have to happen so much faster.

It'll get better, but maybe not too much more this year. We've been pretty spoiled; after that last several years anything short of seriously competing for the AQ is a down year. It's a good problem to have as a fan. Maybe not so much for Coach, but I'm pretty sure he'll get it going in the right direction.  

How about Morgan Hunt? With her height, I figured she’d be an important part of the mix this year.  Is coach saving her for a redshirt season?  It appears so at this point, but with so many other freshmen playing, I wonder why. Is she less talented than the freshman he is playing?  

7 hours ago, Dustin said:

How about Morgan Hunt? With her height, I figured she’d be an important part of the mix this year.  Is coach saving her for a redshirt season?  It appears so at this point, but with so many other freshmen playing, I wonder why. Is she less talented than the freshman he is playing?  

They think Hunt will be a very productive player but felt she needed a redshirt year to adjust to the college game and, more importantly, add strength. 

51 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Will UND even make the Summit postseason now?  Tied with NDSU with games against USD, PUFW, W Illinois, and DU left.

We are currently in the final spot (6th) for the tourney.  We would hold the tie-breaker against the Bison (2-0 in regular season), so as long we do the same or better, we will be in.  The match would be against the #3 seed (currently Omaha) to play the #2 seed (currently South Dakota).

23 minutes ago, Dustin said:

UND gets the win over W Illinois 3-1.  It wasn’t really pretty, but there were some good flashes. A much needed win for the team, albeit against a lowly opponent. 

One other thing to note is the surprise of the night was that little Tahlia Flores can add some offense!  She had probably 5-6 kills tonight. 

• Upvote 1

Flores might be a nice surprise, at least to the fans, but I'm sure it wasn't by choice. And it really shouldn't be too much of a surprise. Most of the players we're likely 6 rotation players in high school, so the front row players should have experience passing and the back row players should have experience in the front row. She's pretty undersized, even for a mid-major conference, but obviously has played outside before tonight.

I love the "next women up attitude", but it seems like the Fighting Hawks could probably use a M*A*S*H next time they go on the road. They're really beat up. Hopefully young bodies heal quickly; they have a huge, winnable match on Saturday. It would be great if there was be a big crowd (for an 11 AM match :( ). 

17 hours ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Who is injured?

Darian C, Brynn N

Even though we’re 6th, a game up on NDSU and they have to win two of PUFW, @USD, and @ORU.  The one remaining for UND, @USD, is basically a loss right now.

NDSU by losing to W Illinois screwed themselves big time and left UND in a much better chance for the tournament.

1 hour ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Good news

will our injured players be back?

chances of us winning?

Darian C is playing again.  Don’t know about Bryn N.

The second half of the season has been a disaster.  But the playoffs are good experience for the freshman.

They have a chance against PUFW, but almost none after that.