SiouxSports.com Forum

And the winner is....

choyt3

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Parise got robbed, there is more to college hockey than statistics.

Over the past two years:

Lessard

21 16 37

32 31 63

1.05 points per game

Parise

23 32 55

26 35 61

1.53 points per game

I guess one good season for a guy from UMD makes him a superstar.

HOBEY JOKER AWARD!

Lessard is good, he's a senior, he's deserving, he played more games than JP, he nearly drowned this summer, his team went farther than JP's but got beat by an underdog, ... THROWING THE DOG A BONE

the hobey baker award is an NHL career kiss of death,

don't worry about it, this was a foregone conclusion, I'm sure that the voting parties took into account that ZP made more money in one day last week than they all do put together

I will say this, Junior is very deserving, he's a great one-way player and great team leader. Kudos to him, the dogs, Sandy, and don't forget the Assistant Mr. Davidson. GO WCHA!!!

Do you think that 6 degrees theory could be applied to all college hockey teams originating from the SIOUX?

Who in the US is junior lousy canadian, not that there is anything wrong with a canadian. But this is an American College Hockey Award.

UND stubbed again

IT ISN'T ABOUT POINTS OR GOALS OR PANZER WOULD HAVE WON.

They are complete idiots

KMA Hobey, He must be turning over in his grave.

This is just a bad year for Zach after winning the gold. He first got the early departure from the NCAA playoffs. Then he signs with the Devils, but doesn't get to play. Now he doesn't win the Hobey Baker. Plus he will have to deal with the early departure from the NHL playoffs. Oh well, congratulations to Junior.

Actually the committe is only supposed to account for what the players did THIS season, not their entire career.

Really? I heard the Hobey was a lot like the Heismann. If what I said is true, then Bochenski could win it if he has another good year next year. He's done nothing but score his entire Sioux career thus far.

Actually the committe is only supposed to account for what the players did THIS season, not their entire career.

Well then why the fuss about the winner has to/should be a Senior?

Why not give it to a Soph. or Fresh. player?:sad:

It's a bunch of crap.

Don't tell me it isn't

If you're not a Sioux Fan

Get the HE LL off this site.

We are in total Mourning

Uh, I'm a Sioux student Season ticket holder... or used to be. I am just as vehement for the Sioux as most of us here are. However, Zach lost for similar reasons why our defensive corps didn't get any recognition (among other things). Zach had hype behind him. Junior did not. Zach did not score as much as his potential foretold last year. Junior had no expectations and came out of nowhere to lead the nation in scoring. Zach's only "feel good" side was the WJC experience. Junior nearly drowned, came from a program that has largely been down and out since the 80s and lead them to now a FF berth.

When it comes down to it, Junior winning the award is not surprising. If Zach stayed another year, perhaps he'd actually win it. Now, we'll have to hope that Bochenski has another year like this next year.

And as for the academic seniority in awards, having a senior win the award is status quo. Yes, Hrkac won it as a sophomore, but those occurrances are very rare. Heismann goes to seniors 99 percent of the time. White wasn't the best player up for it this year but he won it because he came back from two serious injuries to lead OK to the promised land. When you think of it, so did Junior.

the hobey baker award is an NHL career kiss of death,

Ummm, you may want to rethink this. I'd guess about half were NHL busts and several have gone onto stellar careers. Off the top of my head:

Broten

Kariya

Leetch

Morrison

Plus, the winner's actual (or potential) NHL career has no bearing on the award.

Some Sioux fans actually feel Junior Lessard deserved the award. I know I do.

I've seen Junior play and he is solid. There's no question he made his teammates better players when he was on the ice.

Unlike the 2001 Ryan Miller debacle, I concur with this decision. I also saw Ryan Miller play. He was the product of a stifling defense more than his stellar goaltending. I witnessed a game against UMass where he had a shutout going, gave up a goal with about 10:00 left in the game, and then was pulled to prevent another goal which would have raised his goals against. That award was fraudulent and Jeff Panzer was totally robbed. But there's no smoking gun on this case.

Congrats Junior!

Some Sioux fans actually feel Junior Lessard deserved the award. I know I do.

I've seen Junior play and he is solid. There's no question he made his teammates better players when he was on the ice.

Unlike the 2001 Ryan Miller debacle, I concur with this decision. I also saw Ryan Miller play. He was the product of a stifling defense more than his stellar goaltending. I witnessed a game against UMass where he had a shutout going, gave up a goal with about 10:00 left in the game, and then was pulled to prevent another goal which would have raised his goals against. That award was fraudulent and Jeff Panzer was totally robbed. But there's no smoking gun on this case.

Congrats Junior!

precisely. Junior deserved the award. Miller, though a solid goaltender, didn't deserve the award. For all of Miller's hype, he's sure a solid NHL goaltender too. I think DiPietro is outplaying him. There aren't a lot of NHL goaltenders out there who are less impressive than Miller has been this year for Buffalo. There have been some, but not all.

Who in the US is junior lousy canadian, not that there is anything wrong with a canadian. But this is an American College Hockey Award.

UND stubbed again

IT ISN'T ABOUT POINTS OR GOALS OR PANZER WOULD HAVE WON.

They are complete idiots

KMA Hobey, He must be turning over in his grave.

There sure ain't nothing wrong with Canadians. The Canadians have helped us win 7 National Champioships and provide our only Jokey Baker Award.

Did Herb Brooks recommend UND over MN because we had a better tradi

tion or something? I thought I saw that in the paper one time, I could be wrong.

There sure ain't nothing wrong with Canadians. The Canadians have helped us win 7 National Champioships and provide our only Jokey Baker Award.

Did Herb Brooks recommend UND over MN because we had a better tradi

tion or something? I thought I saw that in the paper one time, I could be wrong.

If HB did, I'd be VERY surprised. HB was the coach of MN for a while.

Congratulations to Junior Lessard for winning the Hobey. Wish Zach would have won it but maybe Bo knows Hobey next year.

I don't think the case is so clear cut for Zach that we should be crying about conspiracy theories, etc.

Just win baby.

I also agree that Lessard deserved this award. Congratulations to Junior.

Greyeagle, while I wouldn't go so far as to say the Hobey is the NHL kiss of death (because college players in general don't have the best transition to the NHL), Broten and Kariya are the exceptions. Fusco, Fusco, McDonald, Marinucci, Kurvers, Watson, Emma, Mottau, McPhee, Holzinger, Stauber, Bonin, Pellerin, Miller, Krog. Not alot of quality NHL service there. Even Hrkac has been an NHL disappointment considering the level he played at in college. Also, I don't think Leetch won the Hobey.

Parise got robbed, there is more to college hockey than statistics
uhhh,,,but when it comes to Sioux goalies, stats seem to be the justification for their allegedly not getting any respect

If HB did, I'd be VERY surprised.  HB was the coach of MN for a while

well, maybe not exactly in those words, but Coach Brooks was on record defending such position many times during the whole Parise ND (Capt. Lou Nanne trying to snatch him from UND situation.) He said that over recent history you can't argue against UND's success....this stated on his weekly appearances on KFAN during the time...kind of a high profile situation that most hockey followers were quite aware of.