SiouxSports.com Forum

And the winner is....

choyt3

Uh, I'm a Sioux student Season ticket holder... or used to be. I am just as vehement for the Sioux as most of us here are. However, Zach lost for similar reasons why our defensive corps didn't get any recognition (among other things). Zach had hype behind him. Junior did not. Zach did not score as much as his potential foretold last year. Junior had no expectations and came out of nowhere to lead the nation in scoring. Zach's only "feel good" side was the WJC experience. Junior nearly drowned, came from a program that has largely been down and out since the 80s and lead them to now a FF berth.

When it comes down to it, Junior winning the award is not surprising. If Zach stayed another year, perhaps he'd actually win it. Now, we'll have to hope that Bochenski has another year like this next year.

And as for the academic seniority in awards, having a senior win the award is status quo. Yes, Hrkac won it as a sophomore, but those occurrances are very rare. Heismann goes to seniors 99 percent of the time. White wasn't the best player up for it this year but he won it because he came back from two serious injuries to lead OK to the promised land. When you think of it, so did Junior.

Must be one with a GPA of 1.0 or lower

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(Ummm, you may want to rethink this. I'd guess about half were NHL busts and several have gone onto stellar careers. Off the top of my head:

Broten

Kariya

Leetch

Morrison

Plus, the winner's actual (or potential) NHL career has no bearing on the award.)

Greyeagle, while I wouldn't go so far as to say the Hobey is the NHL kiss of death (because college players in general don't have the best transition to the NHL), Broten and Kariya are the exceptions. Fusco, Fusco, McDonald, Marinucci, Kurvers, Watson, Emma, Mottau, McPhee, Holzinger, Stauber, Bonin, Pellerin, Miller, Krog. Not alot of quality NHL service there. Even Hrkac has been an NHL disappointment considering the level he played at in college. Also, I don't think Leetch won the Hobey.

Throw out Broten cuz he started the thing, Kariya cuz he's probably one of the best players to come out of D1, and Drury and that's what I meant,

your really not left with an award winning team even with leetch and morrison

and I'd check the sense you're trying to make with the bearing on the NHL career statement, if we don't send our best to heck with the degree or tuition, go play in the ushl or canada, more games & exposure

I also agree that Lessard deserved this award. Congratulations to Junior.

Greyeagle, while I wouldn't go so far as to say the Hobey is the NHL kiss of death (because college players in general don't have the best transition to the NHL), Broten and Kariya are the exceptions. Fusco, Fusco, McDonald, Marinucci, Kurvers, Watson, Emma, Mottau, McPhee, Holzinger, Stauber, Bonin, Pellerin, Miller, Krog. Not alot of quality NHL service there. Even Hrkac has been an NHL disappointment considering the level he played at in college. Also, I don't think Leetch won the Hobey.

You're right, my mistake on Leetch.

Perhaps Mr. Parise's abrupt decision to leave UND the Monday after the loss to DU weighed in on the decision just a wee bit. I'm no expert, but this is a college hockey award. Why would they award it to someone who is no longer enrolled in college and is on an NHL roster? Whether or not that's supposed to weigh in on the decision and whether it actually does are two different things.

I thought Parise was a good player, maybe a little too afraid of taking a hit, but still good. Lessard is a good all around player, and he should be congratulated.

Hope Parise enjoys his year off in 2004-05.

Perhaps Mr. Parise's abrupt decision to leave UND the Monday after the loss to DU weighed in on the decision just a wee bit.  I'm no expert, but this is a college hockey award.  Why would they award it to someone who is no longer enrolled in college and is on an NHL roster?  Whether or not that's supposed to weigh in on the decision and whether it actually does are two different things.

I thought Parise was a good player, maybe a little too afraid of taking a hit, but still good.  Lessard is a good all around player, and he should be congratulated.

Hope Parise enjoys his year off in 2004-05.

Peter Senja last year, same situation.

Greyeagle said: "I'm no expert, but this is a college hockey award. Why would they award it to someone who is no longer enrolled in college and is on an NHL roster?"

Technically, you're a bit off here. Part of the disappointment with ZPar, besides losing the Hobey, is that he is NOT on the Devil's roster! 25 other guys are, but not Zach.

Greyeagle said: "I'm no expert, but this is a college hockey award.  Why would they award it to someone who is no longer enrolled in college and is on an NHL roster?"

Technically, you're a bit off here.  Part of the disappointment with ZPar, besides losing the Hobey, is that he is NOT on the Devil's roster!  25 other guys are, but not Zach.

That wasn't me, it was LegalParrothead, whom I quoted.

My, my...what conspiracy theories we have here. You guys are right, Parise was robbed. Junior Lessard didn't have a good year. How could the Hobey voters be so blind? Must be the damned Gopher Hobey Baker Conspiracy... :sad:

So have you guys actually seen Lessard play, or are you just trying to rationalize what happened? Lessard was WCHA POY, Lead the NCAA in points, and USCHO POY...this isn't exactly a no name player we're talking about. When Sejna was a Sophomore he scored 50 points. He upped that to 82 last year when he won the Hobey. Lessard went from 37 to 53. Parise 62 to 55 (I'm aware of the schedule last year, but are a lot of Hobey voters?) Junior Lessard earned this award, plain and simple. :0

Parise was not robbed...Panzer was robbed. ???

My humblest apologies for getting my Eagles and Parrots confused! Please forgive me, Greyeagle. I surely did not intend to offend or demean you by attributing to you a less than brilliant quotation.

Still, wish ZPar were indeed on the Devils roster and slated to play, rather than just watch.

I know this is a UND Hockey board, and as a former student I'm a big Sioux fan, but to suggest Parise got robbed is nonsensical.

Lessard is a very good hockey player and as noted, lead the country in scoring THIS YEAR.

If they want to give ZP a Lifetime Achievement Award or something, fine, but the Hobey goes to the best player this year. Frankly I thought ZP would win, but no one can say Lessard is not deserving.

REPHRASE: No one can credibly say Lessard is not deserving.

Congrats to Junior Lessard on the Hobey.

The strangeness of this year's Hobey contest has now been matched by a bizarre national tournament. Of the Hobey's final three, I thought Junior and Parise were a pick-em for the winner. Either would have been a deserving winner. I expected they would give it to Parise because it would have been good exposure for college hockey for the next decade or so on ESPN. Had he indeed won, though, he would have been very deserving, as he simply was college hockey's best player from December on, when he was healthy.

What I mean by this year's strange Hobey race is that it was the race that wasn't. Either Panzer or Ryan Miller would have been easy winners this year. Hartigan would have won easily this year, and Haydar, too. Most years, one, or two, or three, players step up and demand the award. Then the voters have a tough choice, as someone is going to get slighted. I think this year was supposed to be Ben Eaves' year, but he ended up missing half the season with injuries. With two months to go, it looked like Bochenski had a chance to lock it up, but an eleven-game stretch with one goal (or something like that) scuttled his runaway bid. So we were left with a lot of guys with solid years who deserved to be in the final ten, but none who seemed destined to win. BTW, Zach's early injury troubles probably cost him the award as much as Eaves' late ones did.

Anyway, Zach did not have the kind of year that demanded the award, so IMO complaining about his loss of it seems petty. Congrats to Junior and UMD.

As for Panzer and Miller, I thought at the time that they also both would have been deserving winners. With hindsight and some astounding numbers by goaltenders in the last few years, Miller's accomplishments may seem to have lost a little of their luster. At the time, though, they were astounding and called out for the award. Likewise, Panzer had a brilliant year and absolutely deserved to win. Unfortunately, the committee had to choose a winner and had to send someone home disappointed. I still can't find too much fault with their choice, then or this year.

The travesty that year was that Gionta was co-runnerup with Panzer. He had no business being in the same building with Panzer that year.

In January, I thought UND had a shot at back-to-back Hobeys, as Bochenski was in a very nice spot for this year, and Zach was lined up for next year. In the last few weeks, I thought we might see the reverse back-to-back, with Zach winning this year and Bochenski having a good shot next year. Obviously I was wrong. FWIW, I think Zach was just about a lock to get it next year, had he returned. He was, after all, the nation's best player since Christmas this year, and everything would have been in place for a very big year. But we'll have to move on to other big things.

Please explain how it is the Kiss of Death?

Also, I feel if Zach would have not signed with NJ so soon he would have won it. Just my thoughts

BTW Greyeagle you forgot a name LEO :sad:

Who's LEO? :(

GE...one person I notcied you forgot was Jordan Leopold. Hey, that's what bertibm musta meant...ooohhhh :0?????? , my bad bert... :(

And I think Junior wins regardless of Zach's choice...he had a great year, and he earned it.

Who's LEO? :(

GE...one person I notcied you forgot was Jordan Leopold. Hey, that's what bertibm musta meant...ooohhhh ??????:( , my bad bert... :(

And I think Junior wins regardless of Zach's choice...he had a great year, and he earned it.

Careful, your GPA may drop to 1.0 or less if you say that too much. :sad:

dishman this thing is over, I've been saying all day that Junior deserved the award so no sour grapes. go dogs, go sandy, go davidson, go wcha

BERT, go read the posts, then the stats. historically the HB winner has not had that productive of a NHL career. Some exceptions.

Now the HB has only been around since 81 and three-quarters of that time D1 hockey wasn't really seen as a pipeline to the NHL. (That kind of contradicts my statement but, DI is now beginning to be a bit more of an NHL pipeline so maybe things will change.) The best hockey players in D1 are now (last ten years) leaving earlier and coaches are seeking the talent out within a different paradigm than before.

Irregardless, my point was that ZP can live without the award. Some cannot live with it.

I thought Parise was a good player, maybe a little too afraid of taking a hit, but still good. 

That is one of the dumbest things I have ever read. You must not have seen him play much. :sad:

Who in the US is junior lousy canadian, not that there is anything wrong with a canadian. But this is an American College Hockey Award.

UND stubbed again

IT ISN'T ABOUT POINTS OR GOALS OR PANZER WOULD HAVE WON.

They are complete idiots

KMA Hobey, He must be turning over in his grave.

Racist :sad:

Who cares if he is Canadian? Yes, it is an American college hockey award...but GUESS WHAT JUNIOR PLAYED!!!!! (American College Hockey!

Parise was very deserving of the award as well, and I'm sure it was a tough decision.

I wish Parise all the best in the NHL!

I get a kick out of all you crybabies on here....shall i need to order a box of kleenex for you all??? Parise might have deserved it however, did he march UND to Boston? Answer...No....Congrats Junior! :sad::0??????:(:(:(

Hey this is OUR message board and we can cry all we want.

Go back to Pried off the Ice.

If you want to give Junior Congrats go to

Dogs on Ice.