SiouxSports.com Forum

The Betty

Siouxfan69

3 hours ago, Big Green said:

lame is a D1 school playing in a high school arena.

There are 50 DI schools who plays in an arena smaller than ours, however UND averaged 2,139 last season or 65% of capacity. Its not like the Betty is turning people away every game because of lack of seating. To put it another way, Augustana averaged more people (2661) than UND. The 3300 seat Betty is more than enough to watch a game. 

• Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

There are 50 DI schools who plays in an arena smaller than ours, however UND averaged 2,139 last season or 65% of capacity. Its not like the Betty is turning people away every game because of lack of seating. To put it another way, Augustana averaged more people (2661) than UND. The 3300 seat Betty is more than enough to watch a game. 

The old Ralph had more than enough seating for most hockey games.  Didn't stop Ralph from building a arena twice the size.

I would hope a nicer facility would increase attendance as will as get better recruits.

29 minutes ago, Big Green said:

The old Ralph had more than enough seating for most hockey games.  Didn't stop Ralph from building a arena twice the size.

I would hope a nicer facility would increase attendance as will as get better recruits.

Winning games increases attendance. 

3 minutes ago, Cratter said:

IIRC, the Betty didn't even sell out for NDSU last year.

2,428.  NDSU didn’t sellout it’s game against UND in its remodeled arena 5022 out of 5700. The game isn’t big until we join the Summit and both compete for a conference title. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, UND92 said:

CAn anyone find the article from the Herald when the Betty was first announced.  I am sure I remember them saying it would seat 4,200 but now 3,100 is full.  What happened to the additional 1,100 seats?

I remember something close to that also, more on the line that the building foot print has the potential to seat something just over 4,000.

I always find it somewhat comical that this topic seems to come up once year when there is a "big game" forthcoming.

Fans that are knowledgeable about basketball seem to appreciated the Sioux Center.  "Casual" fans that have grown accustomed to the REA, and only pay attention to basketball for one or two games year, want to know why the basketball teams play in such a dump.  My guess is that a lot of these "casual" fans haven't been to a game in the Sioux Center when it has 3,000+ on hand, otherwise they wouldn't complain.

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, bincitysioux said:

I always find it somewhat comical that this topic seems to come up once year when there is a "big game" forthcoming.

Fans that are knowledgeable about basketball seem to appreciated the Sioux Center.  "Casual" fans that have grown accustomed to the REA, and only pay attention to basketball for one or two games year, want to know why the basketball teams play in such a dump.  My guess is that a lot of these "casual" fans haven't been to a game in the Sioux Center when it has 3,000+ on hand, otherwise they wouldn't complain.

Don't get me wrong, I think the atmosphere is good with 3,000+. But great, maybe not?

Knowledgeable and Casual fans? There's also another group of fans that haven't become complacent and remember the crowds in the Fieldhouse in the 60's 70's 80's of over 5,000 fans for the popular games.

Lets win a WBB & MBB game against the rivals Saturday!

• 9 months later...

https://fightinghawks.com/news/2018/10/4/mens-hockey-ralph-engelstad-arena-announces-improvements-to-fan-experience.aspx

LED scorer's table in Betty Engelstad Sioux Center: A little over 47 feet long, the new LED scorer's table in the Betty Engelstad Sioux Center will be used for crowd prompts, fan engagement and advertising opportunities during UND volleyball and basketball games. All off-court officials, as well as radio and television production, will work from this area during games.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UNDBIZ said:

Nice addition.  I assume it's a Dak table so it coincides with the video boards.

Open message to UND staff: don't use any light backgrounds on graphics and make sure the brightness is turned down to about 35%. Otherwise it will be super blown out on the tv feeds.

• Upvote 1