SiouxSports.com Forum

CB's Future

dickgraham

Listening to Chad Hartman's show on the fan about a 1/2 hour ago. He's interviewing Glen Sonmor and in the course of the interview, after talking about Zach leaving UND, Hartman asks Sonmor about the other North Dakota rumor that CB is still being hotly pursued by the Blue Jackets to be their next coach. Sonmor said that is an old rumor but is still alive and that CB would seriously consider it if asked. He said that knowing Dean as well as he does that his competetive nature would drive him to see how he could do at the next level. He went on to say that with the strike looming the Blue Jackets may wait to name a new coach until they know that next season is on or not. My question would be why would CB even want to take his shot at the NHL with the Blue Jackets? I don't think I would.

DG

I personally believe that our early end to the season is a result of the coaching this year. We have struggled for most of the 2004 part of the season. CB was not effective in using the talent we have, or getting the players ready to play in the playoffs. Flame me all you want, it is just my opinion. I know he is a good coach, but I don't think he did that well this year.

I personally believe that our early end to the season is a result of the coaching this year. We have struggled for most of the 2004 part of the season. CB was not effective in using the talent we have, or getting the players ready to play in the playoffs. Flame me all you want, it is just my opinion. I know he is a good coach, but I don't think he did that well this year.

I concur with your perspective. With the arsenal that UND has, they should have added the 8th banner this year!!!!! No questions.

Now ZP is gone and all we can hope is Zajac or someone can fill those big shoes!

Perhaps there are other factors out of the coach's control about which you're not aware.

Is that not a coaches job...to recognize the areas out of control and control that which is controllable and lead the team to wins within that realm?

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but this is the kind of thing about an offseason after a season that ends short of a national championship that frosts me. He must have done one heck of a crappy job to coach a team to 30 wins, to the championship of a league that supplied five of the final eight teams in the NCAA tournament, and to the #1 spot in the PWR rankings at the end of the year. One-and-done is a b@@ch, and we all got to experience that again first-hand last weekend, but IMO it is silly to suggest that the coaches did a bad job.

Plus what PCM said ... although that would be seen as just a "reason" for doing a bad job, and I don't think he did one.

How does a coach score goals?

I will NEVER rip this team for the year it has had.......I've had more excitement this year following the team than I've had in a long time!

We got beat 1-0.......put up 30 + shots........how is that the coaches fault? We hit some pipes, shot a couple high or wide......and those "could" have been the difference.

to me, there is no place to whine after a season we had! No we didn't win a NC.....but it happens!

I can't believe that we are even having this discussion. Dean Blais has won 2 national championships, been in 3, and has won a handful of WCHA titles. Was that all talent? I agree that this year was disappointing. However, those of you that are ripping Dean, would you care to elaborate and provide specifics as to what he could/should have done differently?? Sometimes, great teams lose despite great coaching. I'm sure that some Kentucky basketball fans understand that.

I can't believe that we are even having this discussion. Dean Blais has won 2 national championships, been in 3, and has won a handful of WCHA titles. Was that all talent? I agree that this year was disappointing. However, those of you that are ripping Dean, would you care to elaborate and provide specifics as to what he could/should have done differently?? Sometimes, great teams lose despite great coaching. I'm sure that some Kentucky basketball fans understand that.

I was defending Coach Blais I thought. Did I not make my post clear?

This is perhaps the most bone-headed comment I've ever read on these boards. CB did a whale of a job with a team that is very, very young.

Compare this team to the '99-'00 championship team:

Top five scorers: Goren, Panzer, Ulmer, Lundbohm and Bayda (2 seniors, 1 junior, 1 soph, 1 freshman). 267 total points, or 52% of the team's output.

This year: Bochenski, Parise, Murray, Genoway and Stafford (ZERO seniors, 2 juniors, 1 soph and 2 freshmen). 227 points, or 48.6% of team's total.

I remember Coach Blais telling me on a couple of different occasions this year that this team is not as talented as his national championship teams, and that they are still very young. How many "true" freshmen played a major role on the team this year? These are eighteen-year-olds playing against men up to 23, 24 even 25 years old out there.

I think CB did a heckuva job with a very good team; not a great team.

To say he didn't do well this season is simply not true.

A good year for the Sioux and coaches in spite of a loss to early for Sioux fans. Denver couldn't win playing that style more than 1 in 10 times, or maybe even 1 in a hundred. It just happened that night. One loss does not make a bad year, however disappointing.

What 30-8-2, thats a pretty brutal job of coaching. How is losing in the regional final to a team that has a hot goalie bad coaching. Come one please this is the most ridiculous think I have read all season.

How does a coach score goals?

I will NEVER rip this team for the year it has had.......I've had more excitement this year following the team than I've had in a long time!

We got beat 1-0.......put up 30 + shots........how is that the coaches fault? We hit some pipes, shot a couple high or wide......and those "could" have been the difference.

to me, there is no place to whine after a season we had! No we didn't win a NC.....but it happens!

Last time I checked the coach doesn't play Goalie or defense either. Fluke end to an awesome season. Maybe some need to take a breath, go out and catch some crips cold fresh air and come back in a day or so after our emotions are so high. I have to admit I very sad about the last couple days and what has happened but this team will bounce back with Blaiser behind the bench. UND was 3 pipes away from another chance at "8"...

I was defending Coach Blais I thought. Did I not make my post clear?

I wasn't referring to you, but Federov and the other poster. I didn't even see the Kentucky thing on your signature line. :D It was just the best analogy that I could come up with! Everyone knows that Tubby Smith is a great coach, and Kentucky was very good, but they still lost. It is called sports. :)

The one place I feel Blais needs to improve upon is his powerplay effeciency. There is no reason, with the talent year-in and year-out that this team shouldn't have a top notch powerplay. The Gophers, Bulldogs, even Mankato have excellent powerplays every year. I don't have the answer but I wish Blais would seek the advice from someone who does.

Last time I checked the coach doesn't play Goalie or defense either. Fluke end to an awesome season. Maybe some need to take a breath, go out and catch some crips cold fresh air and come back in a day or so after our emotions are so high. I have to admit I very sad about the last couple days and what has happened but this team will bounce back with Blaiser behind the bench. UND was 3 pipes away from another chance at "8"...

well said Goon, I agree completely.

I was upset and mad for a while, but got over it in a hurry. We had a great year, but just came up short in our hopes of another natty.

I might look at coaching as the reason if the team had faded down the stretch. But IMO opinion the boat got righted after the WI fiasco to where we dominated Mankato and swept Duluth at home to wrest the McNaughton from their hands.

No, I don't see coaching as the problem this year.

We just didn't put the puck in the net this time. We had enough chances.

I would love to hear what Federov and A.B.T.G. still have to say. By not responding to these posts I'm assuming that you have changed your opinions and agree that Blais and the other coaches are not the reason we did not win a national championship.

If you thought Blais was the reason we exited early who would you rather have as a coach? The man has the best winning percentage of any active coach and two national championshis already. You people need to be patient and realize how hard it is to win a national championship.

The one place I feel Blais needs to improve upon is his powerplay effeciency.  There is no reason, with the talent year-in and year-out that this team shouldn't have a top notch powerplay.

Actually, I don't think that's a valid criticism. Nationally, the Sioux power play was at 17.4 percent, which was middle of the pack. In WCHA play, it was 21.3 percent, third best in the league behind Minnesota and UM-Duluth.

The Sioux didn't score their first power play goal until the seventh game of the season and were 0-26 up to that point. Throw out the first six games of the season and the Sioux power play is at 20 percent, seventh best in the nation.

While the power play did start out slow, it did show definite improvement throughout the course of the season.

UND also had the top penalty kill in the WCHA and one of the best in the nation. Overall, I'd say that the coaches did a darn fine job with special teams this season.

I would love to hear what Federov and A.B.T.G. still have to say.

We don't all live by our computers to respond. :)

You guys can list all the stats you want, but that won't get the team playing next weekend. I never said we lost the Denver game because of CB, and I also stated my concerns the week before Madison, so it is not a postseason complaint to get frosted over. :D I never felt confident this year that we would win it all. We started out well, but then we went downhill. We had a big problem playing on Saturday nights. Should a coach be able to work on that? It obviously continued on into the playoffs. Who cares how many shots we had against Denver? Teams could have that many shots if they wanted to shoot from the boards all the time. All year the players were afraid to take a hit and skate up the middle with a big team. As I said before, things were never going great for a long time and CB always just said things were going well. Obviously there was a lot of room for improvement. I am done with this thread. Some of you can only write back with your emotions and not look at the facts. This was a year-long concern of mine and this wasn't meant to piss people off. I think that people need to evaluate how the year really went subjectively. Put it this way, do you want CB to do everything the same next year as he did this year?

Let's get back to the topic at hand. Somnor is an idiot. He's trying to come off like he has some special inside info. He makes it sound like Blais has told him personally that he's leaving, just because he "knows him so well."

I don't see Blais taking a head job like Columbus. Almost all rebuilding jobs end up in the coach being fired. He makes great money at UND and is guaranteed a job. He might make better money in the NHL, but for how long?

Has any college coach had a successful pro career? Herb Brooks is the only coach I can think of, but I'm not sure I'd say that he had a successful pro career.