SiouxSports.com Forum

CB's Future

dickgraham

Put it this way, do you want CB to do everything the same next year as he did this year?

Yes. And when we get to the game that will send us to the Frozen Four, I want our players to bury their scoring chances. Unfortunately, Blais can't do that for them.

I thought special teams coaching was the responsibility of the Assistant coaches as far as practice is concerned? I don't know this for sure, but I will stand corrected if I am wrong.

As for CB leaving, I wouldn't put it past him to leave once his contract is up, but he's doing too well to leave now.

Didn't CB say that he didn't like the kind of hockey that the NHL basically revolves around? I understand perspectives can change, but if this is true, then why go to the NHL?

I'd love to see CB as head coach of the US Olympic Hockey team though. That would rule. Don't know if that would be possible since he is a college coach, but it still would rule.

I dont agree with any talk about it being coach blais' fault that this team didn't win the big one, although I was a little frustrated about seeing different lines every weekend. How can a line establish itself if they can't play together every week?

I dont agree with any talk about it being coach blais' fault that this team didn't win the big one, although I was a little frustrated about seeing different lines every weekend. How can a line establish itself if they can't play together every week?

I completely agree with this. For some reason the Bo, Parise, Murray line never jelled. Blais should have either split them up for good or not. Switching back and forth all year was a mistake.

While I do agree you should play the same to give the team a chance to gel, I also understand why he switched some of the lines once in awhile. Maybe someone was really on fire that night, while the linemate(s) weren't, so he switched them up to create more scoring chances. As for DB not coaching very well, look at his record. He has the best record in the NCAA tournament of any head coach in the nation, and you say he didn't coach very well? Let's not forget this is a very young team, and they really don't have alot of experience playing in the NCAA's. I'm sure next year they will do much better. The only thing I wish they would've done in the last game, was to bury their chances. They hit the pipe and the crossbar a number of times. Had they been over further, or down about an inch, they would have been goals. This team will be very good for at least a couple of years to come.

:D:)

I too have wondered if maybe CB doesn't have what it takes to win the big ones, but then in retrospect that is all wrong. He has brought such success to the UND hockey program! When you look at the close games and overtime games that occured last weekend, I think a lot of winning the National Championship is just pure luck. I think that college hockey parity has become exceptional. The teams at the top are very equal in talent AND in coaching.

We don't all live by our computers to respond. :)

You guys can list all the stats you want, but that won't get the team playing next weekend. I never said we lost the Denver game because of CB, and I also stated my concerns the week before Madison, so it is not a postseason complaint to get frosted over. :D I never felt confident this year that we would win it all. We started out well, but then we went downhill. We had a big problem playing on Saturday nights. Should a coach be able to work on that? It obviously continued on into the playoffs. Who cares how many shots we had against Denver? Teams could have that many shots if they wanted to shoot from the boards all the time. All year the players were afraid to take a hit and skate up the middle with a big team. As I said before, things were never going great for a long time and CB always just said things were going well. Obviously there was a lot of room for improvement. I am done with this thread. Some of you can only write back with your emotions and not look at the facts. This was a year-long concern of mine and this wasn't meant to piss people off. I think that people need to evaluate how the year really went subjectively. Put it this way, do you want CB to do everything the same next year as he did this year?

Federov, I agree with you completely, :p matter of fact I think you guys should just fire Blais for the dismal year you had. Oh yea, and if you do, we would be happy to let coach Blais have as bad a year for us next year here in St Cloud.... ;) and here I thought all the idiot fans were gopher fans.

Federov, I agree with you completely, ;) matter of fact I think you guys should just fire Blais for the dismal year you had. Oh yea, and if you do, we would be happy to let coach Blais have as bad a year for us next year here in St Cloud.... :) and here I thought all the idiot fans were gopher fans.

Thank you for bringing some levity to this issue. I'm sure St. Cloud isn't the only program that would love to have such a dismal coach.

:D

Federov, I agree with you completely, :p matter of fact I think you guys should just fire Blais for the dismal year you had. Oh yea, and if you do, we would be happy to let coach Blais have as bad a year for us next year here in St Cloud.... ;) and here I thought all the idiot fans were gopher fans.

I think an SCSU fan giving credance to this argument shows just where this topic stands.

CB is a great coach.

For any of you SCSU fans reading this: Dump Dahl for Pete's Sake! "Promote" him to Head PR guy. That way we can still hear the Dahl-isms every once in a while.

Federov,

You have lost all credibility with me. If you think that you know more about coaching hockey than DB, you are seriously delusional. Seek immediate mental help.

Saturday's game was incredibly painful to watch. Even the DU fans around me admitted DU was badly outplayed. The boys left everything on the ice and just couldn't get a break. When DU was clearly tiring, and were commiting even more obvious infractions in order to keep up, the ref swallowed his whistle and "let 'em play". Give Denver credit, though, they stuck to their game plan of doing everything short of taking a penalty to slow down the Sioux and it worked. The number of 'holding the stick' penalties that could have been called against DU was ridiculous. Ugly, ugly, UGLY hockey.

Hey, what's with the Gopher shot. Remember, even in a down and disappointing year both the Gophers and the Sioux won more NCAA Tourney games then in the prestigious history of Husky hockey. Drop the Puck!

My $.02. Coach Blais is a legend. It's not a question of firing but a question of when he decides to leave.

Ther more and more I read SOME of these comments I realize how stupid people are. Dean Blais is a GREAT coach and there are probobly some better coaches out there but I'm happy with what he can do. Zach Parise left and that hurts but does anyone realize how long it will take for a new system to work after Blais's? Let alone his recruiting is second to none, hockey players want to play here because of our tradition and to be coached by the best. We've lost great college players before and recovered and got lucky our last coaching change but I don't think we can improve to the likes of when we had the Gino-Blais change. There are so many more factors in the Denver loss that we have no clue about because we were not on the ice. I pray that Deano stays as long as he's physically able and any retard that thinks firing him would help UND in any way needs help themselves. :)

Gino Gasparini WAS a great coach also.

That is not even close to a fair analogy. Gino's teams fell off dramatically after his last national championship in 1987. His last 3 years, the Sioux had a losing record and were near the bottom of the league. I had season tickets, and the place was so empty that you could throw a rock in any direction without a great chance of hitting anyone. The Sioux program was going downhill.

By contrast, Dean Blais just won the WCHA, were No. 1 most of the year, and still will be a favorite to win the league and compete for a national championship next year. Plus, the building is full to capacity nearly every weekend.

What am I missing? :)

That is not even close to a fair analogy. Gino's teams fell off dramatically after his last national championship in 1987. His last 3 years, the Sioux had a losing record and were near the bottom of the league. I had season tickets, and the place was so empty that you could throw a rock in any direction without a great chance of hitting anyone. The Sioux program was going downhill.

By contrast, Dean Blais just won the WCHA, were No. 1 most of the year, and still will be a favorite to win the league and compete for a national championship next year. Plus, the building is full to capacity nearly every weekend.

What am I missing? :)

Yes, the last few Gino years were painfull. But I would still rank him as one of the great Sioux coaches.

DB will never be terminated from UND. He'll leave on his own. Not in the near future I hope.

CB took a young, inexperianced team to the top this year. The Mc Naughton cup is nothing to sneeze at , the hardest championship to win in college hockey. Don't forget that we don't hang final 5 banners in the Ralph but we do hang the reg season championsip banners. This team will be a veteran team next year. The youngsters will be another year wiser. On the other hand the "Hrkac Circus" championship team was young also. If you go back in the records you'll see that Ian Kidd, a defensemen for G-d's sake, had 63 points! That's not a misprint. he had 63 points from his blue line position! That is more production than from Parise or Bo,

DG