SiouxSports.com Forum

ZPar leaving?

SiouxMeNow

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just heard Dean Blais on the radio say that he expects Zach to leave for New Jersey. Tim Hennessy thinks that Matt Greene will also be leaving because Edmonton is so high on him. Hennessy said that with Parise, the deal is on the table and it's up to Zach to stay at UND or head for the pros. Blais and Hennessy talked as if it's a foregone conclusion that he'll go.

I just heard the last 5 min of the interview. Blais made it sound like he expects ZP to go and supports that decision. The only way I would think he is making a bad decision going would be the uncertainty of the NHL next season. I think ZP would rather play for the Sioux than bussing around the NorthEast playing against teams like the River Rats.

Red Berenson had an interesting interview yesterday - he is against anyone leaving early - he said he expects his players to stay 4 years. I see his point but I would think MI may lose some prospects that keep the option of going pro open, knowing their coach wouldn't support them. I think it's classy that Blais supports his players and will encourage them to make the decision best suited for them.

The ironic thing I find about this right now is the following:

Based on what I saw on television from Colorado Springs this past weekend,

the best player on the ice for UND had "Parise" on the back of his jersey,

but only one "1" below it.

Ironically, speaking of Zach and Paulie Martin, they could be playing together soon (along with former Gopher Erik Rasmussen and Duluth boy Jamie Langenbrunner). Don't the Devils still have the rights to Parise?

tim

the devils have many wcha players. they have paul martin, david hale, matt demarchi, parise. solid gophers and sioux........

Devils did sign an underclassman last week. Looks like they need a goon. I hope if ZP does sign he has some assurances he will not get lost in the AHL like Roche, Goren, Lundbohm, Panzer and many others. The Devils have been much better than other teams about giving college players a chance. They have to have one of the biggest US born rosters in the NHL.

Devils Sign Forward Aaron Voros

Prospect Assigned to Albany

East Rutherford , NJ

I heard it on XL93 this morning a few minutes after 8:00. Zach is supposedly suiting up with the team as early as tomorrow's game against the Rangers. I wish UND could have gone all the way before Zach moved on. Oh well, with how much he got beaten up, clutched, grabbed, choked, speared, tripped, etc. it is not surprising that he left before he got any serious injury that could hurt his NHL career. Good luck to him, but too bad we couldn't keep him around one more season. He's seriously the most fun, hard-working player I've had the privilege to watch in a long time.

What are the thoughts of anybody else leaving as well?

Hennessy said he thought there was a good chance Greene would leave because Edmonton really likes him. He also said that with Bochenski being a low draft pick, there really wasn't any incentive for him to leave early.

I heard it on XL93 this morning a few minutes after 8:00. Zach is supposedly suiting up with the team as early as tomorrow's game against the Rangers. I wish UND could have gone all the way before Zach moved on. Oh well, with how much he got beaten up, clutched, grabbed, choked, speared, tripped, etc. it is not surprising that he left before he got any serious injury that could hurt his NHL career. Good luck to him, but too bad we couldn't keep him around one more season. He's seriously the most fun, hard-working player I've had the privilege to watch in a long time.

Agreed! Excellent post.

Yes, I am a Gopher Fan. In a way I am happy his left for the NHL, but Also bummed. Watching this kid play was great to see. I wish I could have seen him play one more year. Hopefullt Vanek and Ballard stay

I suppose Vanek will be next. Probably Ballard. So much for the Lock out effecting the status of these kids staying in college...

Hey, I said that earlier on this thread. :0

Your right someone will step it up next season and UND will be fine. This just stings a bit because of it being two days after UND was eliminated from a tough way to end a season, now fans have to deal with this.

Given the "flux" of the CBA right now, I don't see any reason for Zach to not go pro now, and get in under the current rookie money limits. More than likely, the rookie money will be the first to be shaved by both sides under a future CBA. It's possible, that his will be the first of a number of first-second round draft choices who bolt in the next few days.

Best wishes, Zach. Thanks for everything, and now go for the Cup. :0

This is the part about college sports that I hate but it is the reality of it. Not exactly stirring success during the Parise era, one NCAA win vs Holy Cross. It is pretty frusturating. IMO we are better off w/ a player like Panzer who is going to be around for 4 years than a player like Parise who is going to bolt after two years.

Given the "flux" of the CBA right now, I don't see any reason for Zach to not go pro now, and get in under the current rookie money limits. More than likely, the rookie money will be the first to be shaved by both sides under a future CBA. It's possible, that his will be the first of a number of first-second round draft choices who bolt in the next few days.

Best wishes, Zach. Thanks for everything, and now go for the Cup. :0

This is the reason Lou Nanne gave for all highly drafted underclassmen to leave. He mentioned/assumed Parise, Vanek and Ballard as leaving three months ago.

NJ is quickly becoming my favorite NHL team. Even though I still kind of hate them for perfecting the neutral zone trap and leading the NHL to where it is today. Funny though, during last years cup run, they didn't seem to trap as much.

IMO we are better off w/ a player like Panzer who is going to be around for 4 years than a player like Parise who is going to bolt after two years.

While I agree that I like to see players stay with the Sioux for all four years, I don't agree with your thinking on Parise. The amount of attention and publicity he generated and will continue to generate for UND's hockey program is invaluable. If you want the Sioux to land high-quality recruits, then you have to be able to accept the possibility that some of them will leave early. Parise's decision to attend UND will pay off for years to come, especially if he does well in the NHL.

PCM,

I totally agree. I often hear announcers talk about the "Shattuck Pipeline" from Faribault to Grand Forks. He may have not been Minnesota's Mr Hockey, but there's no question that Goldy didn't get the primo recruit in their own state two years ago. There's a reason Zach picked Grand Forks over Minnesota and hopefully his legacy to the Sioux in the future is other kids picking the Sioux over good old Minny.

I'm disappointed in this decision, but it's not the first time...Jason Herter, Travis Roche, Ed Belfour...the list of Sioux defections to the pros is a lot longer, but those are three names that pop right up at me.

Good luck Zach. We were honored to have watched you for two years and you'll always be a Fighting Sioux. The program existed before you arrived and it will survive with you being gone. Now, let's re-load the pistol and look forward to 2005.