SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach Jones?

darell1976

Your last paragraph could be applied to all sports except hockey. When your rival does something (beat a ranked team, win a NC, etc) you want to do that and one up them. NDSU wins a FCS title UND should win an FCS title (4 May be stretching it, but one will do). NDSU goes to the dance, you want to go to the dance. Right now it's flipped for women's basketball UND went to the dance now they want to go to the dance. USD beat Minnesota in football is it wrong for wanting our school to beat an FBS team?

Out of the NCC 6, NDSU 2009, 2014; SDSU 2012, 2013, and UNC 2011 has made dance trips.

2011-2012 UND @ SDSU 92-52 SDSU @ UND 89-70 NDSU@UND  59-54

2012-2013 UND @ SDSU 70-71  UND @ NDSU 72-52

2013-2014 NDSU @ UND 95-77 SDSU @ UND 77-70

UND 2-1 versus NDSU

UND 1-3 versus SDSU

Darell, I think you are missing the fact the UND has been very competitive with the other Dakota schools over the last couple of years.  The Summit League in not the same conference without Oakland or ORU.  I guess ORU is back this year so that does help rebuild the conference.  Plus, the conference tournament is hosted in the SF which is a huge advantage toward the local schools.  Plus, injuries that last two years has had a significant impact on UND the previous two seasons.

As for this year's team, it is definitely a rebuilding year.  Other Dakota schools have had to endure this also.  But, I really like the two Fr bigs and the So at the point.  They have a very good starting point to build from..  I am going to enjoy watching the team improve over the next couple of years. 

• Upvote 1

2011-2012 UND @ SDSU 92-52 SDSU @ UND 89-70 NDSU@UND  59-54

2012-2013 UND @ SDSU 70-71  UND @ NDSU 72-52

2013-2014 NDSU @ UND 95-77 SDSU @ UND 77-70

UND 2-1 versus NDSU

UND 1-3 versus SDSU

Darell, I think you are missing the fact the UND has been very competitive with the other Dakota schools over the last couple of years.  The Summit League in not the same conference without Oakland or ORU.  I guess ORU is back this year so that does help rebuild the conference.  Plus, the conference tournament is hosted in the SF which is a huge advantage toward the local schools.  Plus, injuries that last two years has had a significant impact on UND the previous two seasons.

As for this year's team, it is definitely a rebuilding year.  Other Dakota schools have had to endure this also.  But, I really like the two Fr bigs and the So at the point.  They have a very good starting point to build from..  I am going to enjoy watching the team improve over the next couple of years. 

Define "very competetive".  North Dakota is 3-6 against other Dakota schools in the last 4 seasons and some of the losses included epic blowouts of 20, 29, and 38 points.

I don't consider the Summit a real strong league either, but before one cites its weakness as a major factor for the XDSU's success in it, consider that UND is 4-16 against Summit teams since moving to DI.

Define "very competitive".  North Dakota is 3-6 against other Dakota schools in the last 4 seasons and some of the losses included epic blowouts of 20, 29, and 38 points.

I don't consider the Summit a real strong league either, but before one cites its weakness as a major factor for the XDSU's success in it, consider that UND is 4-16 against Summit teams since moving to DI.

The context of my reply was in regard to the years that UND's iAD had noted for SDSU and NDSU 2012, 2013 and 2014.  If you would like to expand the conversation - then yes UND is 3-6 against both SDSU and NDSU with this years results.  And in rebuttal to your blowout comment..  you forgot to call out the blowout wins by UND 18 and 19 or the hail mary 3 by SDSU to extend the home court winning streak a couple of years ago.  My point being the blowouts have gone both ways and UND and SU have been very comparable programs the previous two or three years.  If you want to include transitional records for the entire Summit League comparison please feel free.

My point about the Summit League is that the conference has hitched it's wagon to the Dakota schools - the top programs Oakland and ORU (who is now back) have walked away leaving a void at the top - which has been filled by the SU programs - I make this comment not wanting to take anything away from those two schools because I think they are very good.  It would be like Montana and Weber St not being in the Big Sky Tournament the last two years - would UND's chances improved to make the Dance.  Yes, they would have..

In general, I really dont care about the other Dakota schools too much.  I wish people would look more toward Big Sky.  I want to beat Montana and Weber St they are the road block to the Dance.

I guess that I am the only one that was expecting a rebuilding year.

• Upvote 2

Darrell, for you this is very clever. Impressed. #gerbschmidt

Predictable personal attack. The reason I keep my sources somewhat anonymous is because of people like you; rather than actually discuss the dynamics of UND basketball (coaching), you just attack posters on this site. It's rather foolish and really looks like you have no proper defense for Jones' tenure as UND head men's basketball coach.

• Upvote 1

Another legendary coach that never would have outlasted the scrutiny of the siouxsports.com evaluation process.

What a great leader Coach Smith was.

.776 career winning percentage, 27 consecutive 20 win seasons, 22 seasons with at least 25 wins, 35 consecutive seasons with a 50% or better record, 2 NC, 11 Final Fours, etc.   Jones.....wouldn't even make a pimple on Smith's butt. 

Smith was a great coach. Coaching heaven's team now.

.776 career winning percentage, 27 consecutive 20 win seasons, 22 seasons with at least 25 wins, 35 consecutive seasons with a 50% or better record, 2 NC, 11 Final Fours, etc. Jones.....wouldn't even make a pimple on Smith's butt.

Smith was a great coach. Coaching heaven's team now.

You don't get it. Can't believe I have to explain it to you. Coach Smith was at UNC for 21 years before he won his first "natty". Second in year 32. Tar Heel fans "deserved" a title before then.

Predictable personal attack. The reason I keep my sources somewhat anonymous is because of people like you; rather than discuss the dynamics of UND basketball, you just attack posters on this site. It's rather foolish and really looks like you have no proper defense for Jones' tenure as UND head basketball coach.

Didn't mean to hurt your feelings. So let me ask you this? Would you call a thread by a bunch of folks anonymously calling for a coaches head a personal attack?

Didn't mean to hurt your feelings. So let me ask you this? Would you call a thread by a bunch of folks anonymously calling for a coaches head a personal attack?

You're really quite amusing, but I'll play along.

Anyone who understands collegiate coaching knows the premise: you win or else. It's a performance-based occupation, just like the IRS representative working your taxes or the mechanic repairing your vehicle. If they don't "get the job done", they will not have the opportunity to perform that job any longer. As an alumnus and financial supporter of UND athletics, I have a right to at least have an opinion on men's basketball and the coaching. I feel that the tenure of Brian Jones has been inadequate compared to the likes of NDSU and SDSU, and unless his upcoming performances prove otherwise, I feel the position should be reevaluated by the athletic department and perhaps opened for a new coach in a year or two. That's not a personal attack, but rather an opinion that I feel this site allows me to voice and debate.

• Upvote 2

The context of my reply was in regard to the years that UND's iAD had noted for SDSU and NDSU 2012, 2013 and 2014.  If you would like to expand the conversation - then yes UND is 3-6 against both SDSU and NDSU with this years results.  And in rebuttal to your blowout comment..  you forgot to call out the blowout wins by UND 18 and 19 or the hail mary 3 by SDSU to extend the home court winning streak a couple of years ago.  My point being the blowouts have gone both ways and UND and SU have been very comparable programs the previous two or three years.  If you want to include transitional records for the entire Summit League comparison please feel free.

My point about the Summit League is that the conference has hitched it's wagon to the Dakota schools - the top programs Oakland and ORU (who is now back) have walked away leaving a void at the top - which has been filled by the SU programs - I make this comment not wanting to take anything away from those two schools because I think they are very good.  It would be like Montana and Weber St not being in the Big Sky Tournament the last two years - would UND's chances improved to make the Dance.  Yes, they would have..

In general, I really dont care about the other Dakota schools too much.  I wish people would look more toward Big Sky.  I want to beat Montana and Weber St they are the road block to the Dance.

I guess that I am the only one that was expecting a rebuilding year.

Both schools have 9 BSC tournament championships, UND is 1-4 all time (since moving up) against Montana, and 0-6 against Weber State. Beating them (especially whoever is leading the conference) would be an incredible feeling.

You're really quite amusing, but I'll play along.

Anyone who understands collegiate coaching knows the premise: you win or else. It's a performance-based occupation, just like the IRS representative working your taxes or the mechanic repairing your vehicle. If they don't "get the job done", they will not have the opportunity to perform that job any longer. As an alumnus and financial supporter of UND athletics, I have a right to at least have an opinion on men's basketball and the coaching. I feel that the tenure of Brian Jones has been inadequate compared to the likes of NDSU and SDSU, and unless his upcoming performances prove otherwise, I feel the position should be reevaluated by the athletic department and perhaps opened for a new coach in a year or two. That's not a personal attack, but rather an opinion that I feel this site allows me to voice and debate.

That's fine. Then truly own it and stick your name on it.

You don't get it. Can't believe I have to explain it to you. Coach Smith was at UNC for 21 years before he won his first "natty". Second in year 32. Tar Heel fans "deserved" a title before then.

Jones is in his 9th season lets compare the two through 9 seasons:

Smith: 3 20 win seasons, 3 conference titles, 2 NCAA Final Fours, 1 NCAA runner up, 1 trip to the NIT.

Jones: 0 20 win seasons, 0 conference titles, 4 CIT trips (no wins) 

If Jones had Smith's resume the first 9 seasons I would be all for keeping him.

I agree that just on the record, Jones doesn't appear that bad - although he is certainly nothing to write home about.  However, there is something about most of his teams that is inherently frustrating.  Take the team that went to the title game for example (this is the one accomplishment everyone points to) - If they were a hard-working group of over-achievers who got there by hustle and teamwork I think everyone would have been very excited.  However, they appeared to be a very talented group who didn't improve much over their careers, folded like lawn chairs on the road, played a very undisciplined style (think of our 1 on 3 offense) and refused to box out.  It is nice to see UND fans want success in all DI sports - with that new interest comes some demands on coaches.  So far Jones has done just enough to keep his job, but nothing that makes me think he's the guy to get it done.  How long do we let him go on?

I agree that just on the record, Jones doesn't appear that bad - although he is certainly nothing to write home about.  However, there is something about most of his teams that is inherently frustrating.  Take the team that went to the title game for example (this is the one accomplishment everyone points to) - If they were a hard-working group of over-achievers who got there by hustle and teamwork I think everyone would have been very excited.  However, they appeared to be a very talented group who didn't improve much over their careers, folded like lawn chairs on the road, played a very undisciplined style (think of our 1 on 3 offense) and refused to box out.  It is nice to see UND fans want success in all DI sports - with that new interest comes some demands on coaches.  So far Jones has done just enough to keep his job, but nothing that makes me think he's the guy to get it done.  How long do we let him go on?

The first sentence reminds me of Muss (I know some people get pissed bringing him up but its true) Muss did enough his first 4 seasons and got a GWC title which got him an extension. Jones is doing enough by getting to at least the CIT (maybe providing a false hope) so will the basketball team implode like the football team did in 2012 and 2013? Muss recruited some good players and people got excited for the season, then the season collapsed, Jones recruited some good players will the season collapse on him to? Just too many similarities between the 2 coaches, and we don't want the basketball team to end up rebuilding from the ground up like Bubba is doing for the football team.

Jones is in his 9th season lets compare the two through 9 seasons:

Smith: 3 20 win seasons, 3 conference titles, 2 NCAA Final Fours, 1 NCAA runner up, 1 trip to the NIT.

Jones: 0 20 win seasons, 0 conference titles, 4 CIT trips (no wins) 

If Jones had Smith's resume the first 9 seasons I would be all for keeping him.

You're comparing a North Carolina coach to Jones, might as well compare coach K to Jones. 

You're comparing a North Carolina coach to Jones, might as well compare coach K to Jones. 

Sorry I should refer back to someone who compared Jones to Tom Izzo. You are the one who said "Another legendary coach that never would have outlasted the scrutiny of the siouxsports.com evaluation process."   If Jones had the resume in 9 years of coaching like Smith's first 9 there would be no fire Jones thread or a talk about firing him.

One thing I would agree with is that the talent on this year's team, along with incoming recruits for next year, is very good for the Big Sky Conference; however, that's more of a result of the University and it's facilities rather than the coaching. Jones has shown he can gather DI talent, but the handling of that DI talent in game situations is questionable in my opinion. I think there are many DII coaches and DI assistants out there, with an even lesser salary than Jones, that could get more out of the players currently on the team. Jones has too many blow out losses during his tenure, including conference games (Weber State) and rival games (the last 3 road games vs. NDSU). It's admirable that UND has done well in conference the past two years, but that's despite of the coaching and much more of a result of the poor conference competition in the Big Sky Conference. When talking to people who have direct college basketball experience, I'm always told Jones is not an impressive coach by any means. UND deserves better, because yes UND is a hockey school first and football school second, but superb coaching is the one thing that could get UND men's basketball dancing.

Must be confusing football facilities with basketball facilities. The Betty is a nice place to play. When it's packed, it's a great environment. But the university has little to do with a player coming to play. The coaches recruit the kids to play in their program with their style of play. They really don't have a lot to sell but themselves and the playing time.

I will agree with you and your "people's" opinion. Coach seems to lack in some areas. That being said...due to his success last couple years, his subsequent extension, the new guys here and coming... Let the season play out. They are supposed to be ninth in the BSC. Faison isn't getting rid of Jones this year. If things go bad next year and you see the same issues as this year, then we as fans/alumni/supporters need to demand better. I will be expecting better next year, and if it isn't, I will be voicing myself in letters to the athletic department demanding better.

Seeing as this is a hypothetical thread. Maybe another thread should be started, but for now, let's look ahead to next year.

Starting five-

Hooker

Seales

Crandall

Bernstine

Shanks

And a nice bench to supplement

In that staying group tho, you have three players that can get off anytime, and they play will with their teammates. What if that team does make the conference championship tournament and loses. Or even gets to the dance. Maybe still see some issues with coaching. What then? But I am really looking forward to next year!

Sorry I should refer back to someone who compared Jones to Tom Izzo. You are the one who said "Another legendary coach that never would have outlasted the scrutiny of the siouxsports.com evaluation process."   If Jones had the resume in 9 years of coaching like Smith's first 9 there would be no fire Jones thread or a talk about firing him.

I never said that, I also wouldn't compare Jones to a coach of a Power 5 program. Smith had a hell of a lot more resources at North Carolina then Jones will ever have here.

Yet there is a "Fire Hak" thread when in comparison in their respective sports, Hakstol has a better resume than Smith did their first 9 years.

The first sentence reminds me of Muss (I know some people get pissed bringing him up but its true) Muss did enough his first 4 seasons and got a GWC title which got him an extension. Jones is doing enough by getting to at least the CIT (maybe providing a false hope) so will the basketball team implode like the football team did in 2012 and 2013? Muss recruited some good players and people got excited for the season, then the season collapsed, Jones recruited some good players will the season collapse on him to? Just too many similarities between the 2 coaches, and we don't want the basketball team to end up rebuilding from the ground up like Bubba is doing for the football team.

Let the CIT thing go.  No one is shooting for a CIT bid (minus the autobid that was a result of a GWC title).  It's has been a consolation prize the last two years, not a goal, just a by-product of what happened during the season.  They probably should have passed on the invitation last year due to injuries but may as well let the healthy guys and seniors have one more game (and a shot at another couple).

• Upvote 1

I never said that, I also wouldn't compare Jones to a coach of a Power 5 program. Smith had a hell of a lot more resources at North Carolina then Jones will ever have here.

Sorry it was Choyt3 that said it, but someone actually compared Jones to Tom Izzo which is comical enough, then someone posted that Smith would've been fired on this board if he was coach which is also comical. Smith and Izzo did enough in their first 9 years that Jones would do in a lifetime.