SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach Jones?

darell1976

Stooping to personal attacks is not the way to go. It's a fan site, and everyone is entitled to their opinion. If you are extremely smart, I don't have to explain the meaning of fan, so let people vent. Although many things have changed in the US, we still have freedom of speech.

Just exercising my free speech to state the facts....Nothing personal 

Rebuilding implies that something was built up at some point.

It has been about 12-13 years since this program has been where it really should be. 4 games over .500 has been the pinnacle thus far of the past 10+ years. Jones was in fact hired to "rebuild" this thing. I think the argument that he hasn't gotten the job done is a valid one.

And let's watch the name calling please, no need for that.

• Upvote 2

Non morons call it a rebuilding year, pretty stupid to think teams never rebuild only improve  every and year forever and ever...this board needs an IQ requirement for posters.

So, last season (2013-2014), Mr. Jones had a full senior line-up to work with and yet he ended up producing a 17-16 record (12-8 in conference). That's an iffy plateau; in other words, you're saying UND basketball fans should expect a "rebuilding year" after a series of 0.500 record seasons? At best, Jones has brought UND to mediocrity throughout his coaching career at UND (The year before, in 2012-2013, he finished under 0.500 at 16-17). Collegiate athletic programs that expect success do not tolerate mediocre play for nearly a decade; thus, to expect a rebuilding year is only feeble minded. 

In comparison, NDSU produced a very good season last year (2013-2014) with a senior loaded class; they went 26-6 and 12-2 in their conference. After graduating many contributing senior players, their ongoing "rebuilding season" has them at 18-7 and 10-2 in conference play. Oh, and they also had to replace their head coach. 

If you feel NDSU men's basketball, which works under the same general principles to recruit to as UND (same climate, not #1 sport at institution, similar facilities, education quality, etc.), is not a compatible comparison to UND men's basketball, then let's look at Big Sky Conference mate Montana. In 2012-2013, The University of Montana went 25-7 and 19-1 in conference play, and they had three players average double digit scoring. After losing two of those three players, they went on to produce a 17-13 record (12-8 BSC) the following season in 2013-2014. Now this season, after losing two of their top three scorers again, they are 13-10 and 9-3 in conference. No rebuilding year there either.

My point is, don't give the UND men's basketball program too much cushion. They have been an average ball club at best over the past decade under Jones, and losing seasons definitely shouldn't be tolerated as UND hasn't produced any kind of signature win or season since going DI. 

Lastly, I guess only "non-morons" are capable of accepting "rebuilding" years. Or perhaps, just maybe, the lack of expectation and ambition by some UND "supporters" is the actual problem.

Rebuilding implies that something was built up at some point.

It has been about 12-13 years since this program has been where it really should be. 4 games over .500 has been the pinnacle thus far of the past 10+ years. Jones was in fact hired to "rebuild" this thing. I think the argument that he hasn't gotten the job done is a valid one.

And let's watch the name calling please, no need for that.

Did not call anyone a name pal...however the content of the post is moronic period....if the shoe fits wear it!  Also stupid to throw out overall records because they are a function of non conference scheduling which as most intelligent people know varies from team to team with respect to difficulty.   Maybe if a Big sky Coach would schedule all Home games vs D2 teams then they would not make much money ...but the impressive win/loss record would make fans like you giddy.

Did not call anyone a name pal...however the content of the post is moronic period....if the shoe fits wear it!  Also stupid to throw out overall records because they are a function of non conference scheduling which as most intelligent people know varies from team to team with respect to difficulty.   Maybe if a Big sky Coach would schedule all Home games vs D2 teams then they would not make much money ...but the impressive win/loss record would make fans like you giddy.

UND's out-of-conference schedule hasn't been any more difficult than NDSU's or Montana's OOC schedule over the past few years. Stop trying to talk around the fact that UND, over the past decade, has considerably under-performed in comparison to rival institutions such as NDSU and Montana. 

13-30 is this program's record against the other 5 former NCC schools since we moved to DI.

17-39 is this program's record against low-major and mid-major programs in the last 8+ seasons. 

UND's out-of-conference schedule hasn't been any more difficult than NDSU's or Montana's OOC schedule over the past few years. Stop trying to talk around the fact that UND, over the past decade, has considerably under-performed in comparison to rival institutions such as NDSU and Montana. 

Well Genius NDSU is not in the same conference might was well throw in Duke while your at it! NDSU and Montana have been D1 basketball while UND was D2...you post like a grade school drop out...zero facts or logic. UND has out performed 75% of Big Sky teams in conference play since joining....You have no shame posting junk

13-30 is this program's record against the other 5 former NCC schools since we moved to DI.

17-39 is this program's record against low-major and mid-major programs in the last 8+ seasons. 

I said it last night and will say it again, he just isn't likeable guy.  That is my opinion but I feel others may share it as well.  The way he carries himself on the sideline and interviews.  The closest comparison is Mussman.  The UND fanbase did not like Mussman because he was obnoxious and never cared to engage with them.  He came off arrogant but had nothing to be arrogant about.  Attendance dwindled much the same as his recruiting did.  

Look at the head coaches that NDSU has had in MBB - Tim Miles, Saul Phillips and now Richman.  All are unbelievably likeable guys that the fanbase can rally around and love cause they are so witty and passionate, out in the public, etc.  Jones is none of those, much like Mussman.  

Bubba is loved by pretty much everybody because he is honest and sincere as the day is long.  Whether he will win or not remains to be seen.  Brewster is a likeable guy, funny in interviews, smiles alot, etc.  Roger Thomas had it.  Dale Lennon had it.  The Rev. Richie Glas had it.

Once again, this is my opinion but I have been around UND athletics for 30+ years now.  I will be around long after Jones is gone.  It isn't hard to see which coaches have it and which don't based on history.

Wake Forest Coach must get canned for not being as successful as UNC or Duke, 

louisville coach must get canned for not winning as much as Kentucky, Marquette Coach must get canned for not winning as much as Wisc.  Northwestern must get canned for not winning as much as Illinois,  UND football coach must get canned for not winning national titles like NDSU football team.  It all makes perfect sense now.

Wake Forest Coach must get canned for not being as successful as UNC or Duke, 

louisville coach must get canned for not winning as much as Kentucky, Marquette Coach must get canned for not winning as much as Wisc.  Northwestern must get canned for not winning as much as Illinois,  UND football coach must get canned for not winning national titles like NDSU football team.  It all makes perfect sense now.

Wake Forest coach fired last year, check

Louisville does just fine under Pitino

Marquette did just fine under Buzz

UND FB coach got fired last year, check.  

Don't know what you are trying to say but the examples were horrible.  

I'm really thinking give Jones one more year, with an ultimatum.    The team has to make huge improvements or he's gone, and then do it.    Salary for HC and the assistants are going to have jump up or we get another ho hum guy.    Just hard to get excited about the BB team, I'm sorry but that's the way it is.   I still miss Dave Gunther.  

Wake Forest coach fired last year, check

Louisville does just fine under Pitino

Marquette did just fine under Buzz

UND FB coach got fired last year, check.

Don't know what you are trying to say but the examples were horrible.

At first I thought hooopster was really defending jones. No way she can be for real though. Hooopster is a bizun troll.

Well Genius NDSU is not in the same conference might was well throw in Duke while your at it! NDSU and Montana have been D1 basketball while UND was D2...you post like a grade school drop out...zero facts or logic. UND has out performed 75% of Big Sky teams in conference play since joining....You have no shame posting junk

... NDSU men's basketball, which works under the same general principles to recruit to as UND (same climate, not #1 sport at institution, similar facilities, education quality, etc.) ...

As I mentioned earlier, UND and NDSU are very comparable. Saying that comparing UND to NDSU is like comparing UND to Duke is, well, certainly not true. As for those 75% of Big Sky Conference teams that UND has "outperformed", they should not be the benchmark as they likely will never be in the running for a Big Sky Conference title. UND has the ability to be a top BSC team year in and year out but right now the coaching isn't quite there. To ignore what NDSU has done, because, well, they are in different conferences is quite ignorant considering they are the only two DI schools in North Dakota and were long-time NCC rivals.

Lastly, the personal attacks you proclaim do not strengthen your argument. Rather, they make you appear childish and further prove your comments hold no water.

As I mentioned earlier, UND and NDSU are very comparable. Saying that comparing UND to NDSU is like comparing UND to Duke is, well, certainly not true. As for those 75% of Big Sky Conference teams that UND has "outperformed", they should not be the benchmark as they likely will never be in the running for a Big Sky Conference title. UND has the ability to be a top BSC team year in and year out but right now the coaching isn't quite there. To ignore what NDSU has done, because, well, they are in different divisions is quite ignorant considering they are the only two DI schools in North Dakota and were long-time NCC rivals.

Lastly, the personal attacks you proclaim do not strengthen your argument. Rather, they make you appear childish and further prove your comments hold no water.

Well said, the main teams UND should focus on beating in conference play is Weber St and Montana since they seem to win it year in and year out.

OK, guys – this is not a question meant to “pile on” the Fire Jones bandwagon, just a legitimate question to those who follow UND basketball closely:

Can you remember specific situations over the last few years where you are confident that coaching decisions won a game(s) for us?

I said it last night and will say it again, he just isn't likeable guy.  That is my opinion but I feel others may share it as well.  The way he carries himself on the sideline and interviews.  The closest comparison is Mussman.  The UND fanbase did not like Mussman because he was obnoxious and never cared to engage with them.  He came off arrogant but had nothing to be arrogant about.  Attendance dwindled much the same as his recruiting did.  

Look at the head coaches that NDSU has had in MBB - Tim Miles, Saul Phillips and now Richman.  All are unbelievably likeable guys that the fanbase can rally around and love cause they are so witty and passionate, out in the public, etc.  Jones is none of those, much like Mussman.  

Bubba is loved by pretty much everybody because he is honest and sincere as the day is long.  Whether he will win or not remains to be seen.  Brewster is a likeable guy, funny in interviews, smiles alot, etc.  Roger Thomas had it.  Dale Lennon had it.  The Rev. Richie Glas had it.

Once again, this is my opinion but I have been around UND athletics for 30+ years now.  I will be around long after Jones is gone.  It isn't hard to see which coaches have it and which don't based on history.

I agree that Jones appears this way on the outside but I must say I believe it is because of his intensity he wears on his shoulders during and after a game.  I have been around Jones quite a bit over the past several years and I've never met a person that has a love for basketball more than this man.  His mind is always centered around basketball and you can see his intensity on the sidelines as he runs, jumps up and down the sidelines for the entire 40 minutes.  He deserves a few more years with the recruits he has coming in to see what he can do with the upcoming talent.  To be honest he was brought in under extreme difficult circumstances with the transition and brought in a young class that won 2 championships and a best ever placing in the Big Sky for a first year team and then a loss in the championship game with a very depleted roster.  We may very well be able to find someone better but I believe he's done a good job with what he's been dealt.  If this style of play and wins/losses continue at the current rate then I agree its time for a change but for now I think he needs a couple of years to see what he does with the talent that he has coming in.  

• Upvote 3