SiouxSports.com Forum

Five Reasons to Take HC Seriously

jk

1. USA 4, USSR 3 ... 1980

-----------------------------------------

2. North Dakota 3, Findlay 1

Saturday, December 27, 2003 at Ralph Engelstad Arena (Att: 9410)

Findlay ........ 0 0 1 = 1........ 4 4 7 = 15

North Dakota 0 0 3 = 3 ...... 11 11 19 = 41

Third Period

find-1 Mark Bastl (Kyle Ukrainyc) 4:30

UND-1 Andy Schneider (Chris Porter, James Massen) 4x4 12:04

UND-2 Chris Porter (David Lundbohm) GWG 14:15

UND-3 James Massen (Rory McMahon, Mike Prpich) ENG 19:23

------------------------------------------

3. Michigan 4, Mercyhurst 3

Saturday, March 24, 2001 at Van Andel Arena, Grand Rapids, MI (Att: 6792)

NCAA West Regional (Grand Rapids, MI)

Mercyhurst 2 0 1 = 3........ 7 8 9 = 24

Michigan ... 2 0 2 = 4 ...... 21 15 15 = 51

Records: Mercyhurst (22-12-2 Overall, 19-6-1 MAAC)

Michigan (26-12-5 Overall, 16-9-3 CCHA)

First Period

merc-1 Mike Muldoon (Louis Goulet) 5x4 3:31

um-1 Scott Matzka (Dave Huntzicker) 5x5 7:11

um-2 Mike Cammalleri (Unassisted) 5x5 7:17

merc-2 Brad Olsen (Unassisted) 5x5 18:31

Third Period

merc-3 Adam Tackaberry (Jody Robinson, Jeff Gould) 5x4 6:15

um-3 Mark Kosick (John Shouneyia, Mike Komisarek) 5x4 9:22

um-4 Andy Hilbert (Jay Vancik, Mike Cammalleri) GWG 5x5 16:27

---------------------------------------------

4. Niagara 4, New Hampshire 1

Friday, March 24, 2000 at Mariucci Arena

Niagara ........... 2 1 1 = 4 ........ 6 5 8 = 19

New Hampshire 0 0 1 = 1 ...... 12 12 11 = 35

Records: Niagara (30-7-4 Overall, 15-0-2 CHA)

New Hampshire (23-9-6 Overall, 13-5-6 Hockey East)

First Period

niag-1 Randy Harris (Chris Sebastian) 5x5 7:23

niag-2 Kyle Martin (Peter DeSantis, Jay Kasperek) GWG 5x5 9:06

Second Period

niag-3 Mikko Sivonen (Mike Isherwood) 5x5 11:19

Third Period

unh-1 Darren Haydar (Lanny Gare, Kevin Truelson) 5x5 1:29

niag-4 Mikko Sivonen (Timo Makela) ENG 18:40

5. Holy Cross has a goaltender, which is the biggest thing an underdog needs to make it a game.

Tony Quesada, So 25 17-5-2 52 2.19 2 .926

I'm sorry, but I'm just not buying it. ;)

HC is a glorified bye, I hope the Hobey pair can pad the stats a little. Let's not forget Maine scored 7 aginst these guys. The reality is that the Sioux should kill them. Lets be clear that Wayne State or Findley would likely whoop this team.

And I'm not a player, so don't give me any crap about looking ahead, because that is exactly what I am doing. ;) It must be hard for the players to focus on Holy Cross.

We want 10, we want 10, ...

The Holy Cross Crusaders vs. the University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux. Isn't this game as anti-PC as it gets? ;)

Ain't it great!! ;) Down with PC! Down with PC!! :lol:

Here's another lesson for you.......

Holy Cross: 2

Concordia (Que): 2

North Dakota: 7

Concordia (Que): 1

That said though...this is if we take them seriously. Though a Dartmouth fan posted on USCHO that they get tired after the 2nd. It's also been said they'll roll only 2 lines for most of the game, and are not physical Not the way to beat us.

Findlay and HC did not play, but they did have common opponents:

Holy Cross's schedule (4-1-3, .6875):

Sat 10/11/2003 W 3 @ Canisius 1

Sun 10/12/2003 T 3 @ Canisius 3 ot

Sat 01/03/2004 W 5 Alabama-Huntsville (nc) 4

Sun 01/04/2004 T 2 Alabama-Huntsville (nc) 2 ot

Sat 02/07/2004 T 2 Canisius 2 ot

Fri 02/13/2004 W 8 @ Air Force (nc) 4

Sat 02/14/2004 L 2 @ Air Force (nc) 5

Sun 03/14/2004 W 4 vs Canisius (nc) 1

Findlay's schedule (4-5-2, .4545):

Fri 11/21/2003 W 5 Canisius (nc) 0

Sat 11/22/2003 T 2 Canisius (nc) 2 ot

Fri 12/05/2003 T 1 Air Force 1 ot

Sat 12/06/2003 L 2 Air Force 5

Sat 01/10/2004 L 1 @ Alabama-Huntsville 4

Sun 01/11/2004 L 1 @ Alabama-Huntsville 3

Fri 02/06/2004 W 5 @ Air Force 2

Sat 02/07/2004 L 1 @ Air Force 2

Fri 03/05/2004 W 2 Alabama-Huntsville 1

Sat 03/06/2004 L 1 Alabama-Huntsville 3

Fri 03/12/2004 W 9 vs Air Force (nc) 1

It is hard for me to reach a conclusion that Findlay would smoke Holy Cross.

I agree that UND should pound HC, but last year's Gopher romp over Mercyhurst is closer to the exception than the rule. UND needs to play extremely hard, both to win the game and to carry momentum forward to its next opponent.

4. Niagara 4, New Hampshire 1

5. Holy Cross has a goaltender, which is the biggest thing an underdog needs to make it a game.

Tony Quesada, So 25 17-5-2 52 2.19 2 .926

These are the two that scare me. I was at this regional cheering for Niagara (like everyone else at Mariucci). New Hampshire looked a bit flat, but was pounding the Niagara net the whole game and it always seemed like at some point they'd start scoring and win, but pretty soon it was late in the 3rd and UNH was mysteriously still down by 2. UNH couldn't put anything in and Niagara capitalized on every chance.

It's the same feeling I had after the Sioux playoff losses in 98, 99, and 03; in each of those games, the Sioux seemed like the better technical team to me, and throughout each game I felt like they'd eventually go ahead and win. In each, the Sioux continued to seem flat and the underdog simply executed better (call it being "hungrier" or "wanting it more" or whatever you want). Admittedly, Michigan/BC aren't HC, nor even is Ferris.

The Sioux are clearly much deeper and way better conditioned so if they take the Crusaders seriously, the Sioux should be able to work hard to an easy victory. If the Sioux don't work hard, all bets are off.

As a player, you should always prepare for the NEXT opponent, no matter whom it is. Once you are in the position of having a 4 or 5 goal lead, then you might start to think about who's next.

The coaching staff has the difficult task of planning beyond the next game, but must do so conservatively. Coaches must always have contingency plans ready, but players need to focus on the game they are getting ready to play, and they need to do that long before they arrive at the rink for that game. A twisted ankle or charley horse in the thigh can handicap a key player from performing up to par, or from performing at all. This can change a coach's strategy/game plan immensely. I hope Dean and his staff don't have to contend with this, but it is always "lurking in the shadows."

I just hope we end up getting another chance to play the Gophers, before this is all over. I know the team can play better than they did last Saturday, and I'm pretty sure the players know this also.

I'm hoping that this is a case of "He who wins last, wins best!"

Go Sioux!

Ain't it great!! ;) Down with PC! Down with PC!! :lol:

Here's another lesson for you.......

Holy Cross: 2

Concordia (Que): 2

North Dakota: 7

Concordia (Que): 1

That said though...this is if we take them seriously. Though a Dartmouth fan posted on USCHO that they get tired after the 2nd. It's also been said they'll roll only 2 lines for most of the game, and are not physical Not the way to beat us.

What do you and PCM have against Providence College? ;)

I agree, their goaltender is pretty good, but look at the quality of opponents Holy Cross has. I mean, just take them in conference and you have a weak schedule. I don't see a single AHA team that could beat the top 4 teams in the WCHA. Even in the CHA it takes an extraordinary amount of luck to do the same (BSU winning over tUMD ;) ).

Put UND in the AHA or CHA and Brandt has a .950 Save%

I have no doubt that Holy Cross would finish last in the WCHA. We happen to be talking about one game in this case, in which anything could happen.

I'm looking for th Sioux to play well and win solidly, but they will need to go out and actually make it happen.

I have no doubt that Holy Cross would finish last in the WCHA.  We happen to be talking about one game in this case, in which anything could happen.

Yep. It wasn't that long ago that the last-place WCHA team took the Sioux into overtime in a playoff game. The Sioux can't take anyone for granted this time of year.

Yep. It wasn't that long ago that the last-place WCHA team took the Sioux into overtime in a playoff game. The Sioux can't take anyone for granted this time of year.

Exactly. I don't think anyone is trying to imply that HC is secretly really better than UND; no one here doubts that the Sioux would win 95/100 games. However, they only play one and the loser gets tee time. The Sioux just need to intimidate Quesada early and its all over, which leads to...

A huge intangible that I haven't seen discussed much is what a different game HC is used to playing. HC has non-scholarship kids used to playing in a 1600-capacity barn for crowds in the 100s; this is an NCAA tournament in a large Olympic ice arena with a crowd of 1000s. Unfortunately, the crowd will undoubtedly be 90% behind HC :lol: Now, if we could host HC in a regional at REA...

To me, it's not whether or not the Sioux beat HC, they will. It's all about momemtum. Losing to MN last Sat didn't hurt ND or MN, But beating HC by a narrow margin will. The Sioux need to get it going early and often. Beating HC 4 - 1 would not be good. They need to pound this team with 45 to 50 shots and 8 to 10 goals while allowing no more than 1.

I feel the same way. The Sioux shouldn't overlook HC at all! HC is going to Colorado Springs to win. They know they are the underdogs, and are looking to upset the #1 seed Sioux, and send them home early. I agree HC doesn't have the depth, or the talent the sioux have, but they are still a dangerous team if we overlook them, and don't play to the best of our abilities. If we play like we should and take them seriously, we should have no problem beating these guys!

I'm sure Dean Blais is going to have our guys pumped up, and ready to go come Friday, but I'm still a bit worried, because I also remember what happened in '98, and '99. The Sioux need to want to win the NC, which I know isn't a problem, and take every game like it could be their last along the way.

To me, it's not whether or not the Sioux beat HC, they will. It's all about momemtum. Losing to MN last Sat didn't hurt ND or MN, But beating HC by a narrow margin will. The Sioux need to get it going early and often. Beating HC 4 - 1 would not be good. They need to pound this team with 45 to 50 shots and 8 to 10 goals while allowing no more than 1.

I agree a close game is not ideal, but I don't think scoring 8 or 9 goals is either. The ideal game for UND imo, is to get up 4-5 goals early in the second period. Then roll four lines, giving more time to the checking lines and make HC chase the puck. Dump the puck, send one forechecker, makes for boring hockey but Sat's game will be much tougher.

Findlay and HC did not play, but they did have common opponents:

Holy Cross's schedule (4-1-3, .6875):

Sat 10/11/2003 W 3 @ Canisius 1

Sun 10/12/2003 T 3 @ Canisius 3 ot

Sat 01/03/2004 W 5 Alabama-Huntsville (nc) 4

Sun 01/04/2004 T 2 Alabama-Huntsville (nc) 2 ot

Sat 02/07/2004 T 2 Canisius 2 ot

Fri 02/13/2004 W 8 @ Air Force (nc) 4

Sat 02/14/2004 L 2 @ Air Force (nc) 5

Sun 03/14/2004 W 4 vs Canisius (nc) 1

Findlay's schedule (4-5-2, .4545):

Fri 11/21/2003 W 5 Canisius (nc) 0

Sat 11/22/2003 T 2 Canisius (nc) 2 ot

Fri 12/05/2003 T 1 Air Force 1 ot

Sat 12/06/2003 L 2 Air Force 5

Sat 01/10/2004 L 1 @ Alabama-Huntsville 4

Sun 01/11/2004 L 1 @ Alabama-Huntsville 3

Fri 02/06/2004 W 5 @ Air Force 2

Sat 02/07/2004 L 1 @ Air Force 2

Fri 03/05/2004 W 2 Alabama-Huntsville 1

Sat 03/06/2004 L 1 Alabama-Huntsville 3

Fri 03/12/2004 W 9 vs Air Force (nc) 1

It is hard for me to reach a conclusion that Findlay would smoke Holy Cross.

I agree that UND should pound HC, but last year's Gopher romp over Mercyhurst is closer to the exception than the rule. UND needs to play extremely hard, both to win the game and to carry momentum forward to its next opponent.

I can the the other lesser leagues are not very good at all. AHC, CHA are not very good.

As far as strongest conferences overall, I'd rate them:

1. WCHA

2. HEA (grr)

3. CCHA

4. ECAC

5. CHA

6. AHA

ECAC and the CHA would be closer to each other if there was one other program in the CHA at the level of Bemidji State. ECAC has Harvard, Cornell, and a few others that show greatness a lot more frequently than other CHA teams.

AHA is alone at the bottom. Just out of curiosity, is there any team in the CHA or AHA that boast an NHL draftee on their roster? I know that this doesn't always determine the better player, but it does show how effective their recruiting is.

If memory serves me correct, didn't the Hrkac Circus dream team lose to US International from San Diego? One game shots are scary, that is why it amazes me the number of people that are certain their team is going all the way. Too many variables to be arrogant enough to be that bold. That said, if the Sioux don't buy into the Holy Cross game being a bye, they will do just fine.

Oh, please. This game is over before it starts. If UND loses this game, then they don't deserve to go any further (and they won't lose). Heck, even if it's close (and it won't be) they'll have their doubters. I don't like making predictions, but this one is pretty safe. UND 8, Mercyhurst...er, Holy Cross 2.