SiouxSports.com Forum

More recruits

Goon

Wow, it's nice that Dahlen's friends and neighbors have come out of the woodwork to support the hometown hero.

Gretzky?  That comparison isn't even worth addressing ... I thought the reference to Parise was more than a stretch.  Roche and Murphy?  Perhaps, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

If the kid proves me wrong, wonderful.  But if he was a stock, I'd be shorting him like crazy.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

maybe chad's friends and family have said a few things, but so have people that have seen what he can bring to this team. Ask David Hale or Tyler Palmiscno, or Tim Skarperud for that matter and see what they think of Chad Dahlen. Or Ask Dave Hakstol and Dean Blais. The point of pages like these should be to promote these kids in everyway and not to bash them. Obviously some of us have too much time on our hands,(scottm, who knows nothing about what it takes to play college hockey) if all we have to do is bash others.

Obviously some of us have too much time on our hands,(scottm, who knows nothing about what it takes to play college hockey) if all we have to do is bash others.

Yeah, princess, I know nothing about hockey, college or otherwise.  But I am glad you could finally figure out how to post your witty retorts on the board, rather than sending a private message like some lovesick cheerleader.  Good going.

What do I know about all of this?

Well,

I don't care about a guy's mailing address: Can he play?

I don't care about where a guy's been: I care about where he is, and where he's going.

And finally, I know that this guy from Devils Lake had better be better than the fifth best defenseman on the team at the start of 2003.

Why? Because if he's less than that, with only two years of eligibilty remaining, he won't see much ice. (If it comes down to two equally skilled guys, I normally see Coach Blais playing the younger hoping he'll develop further. Don't believe me? Look at last season. Who played more, Brendan or Ryan Connelly?)

Dahlen has two years of D-I experience behind him; his play had better be at that level or the best he can hope for as a walk-on is seats close to Tim Hennessy.

I'm not cheering for or against him. I'm cheering for the best 20 we can put jerseys on on any given night. Good luck to him in his pursuit of one.

gosioux,

I have only seen Dahlen play a few times while with Sioux City, but the games that I was at he played an intense game.  I see that you know more about his situation than most that have posted, so tell me more about him.  Why was he in rehab for 5 months, and how much hockey did he miss that year?  Also, I see that scottm called you a princess...is this an inside joke or am I missing something here.  I'm new to this forum, but have been reading it for years.  I only know a few of the Sioux players personally, but was interested to see the name "Dahlen".  This is a name familiar to me, because I follow the juniors, and had seen that he was doing well with the Muskateers.  It's going to be interesting to see what this guy can add to the 03 season!!

Wasn't there supposed to be a "little" Commodore coming in this year?

I remember Tim H. said he was bigger that Mike and "not as well-tempered."

Little Commie ripped up his knee a couple of years ago.  Last year he was supposed to play at Green Bay with Matt Greene but was cut or dropped or left them prior to the season starting.  I only know what I know from reading the internet.  Don't know where he is now.

gosioux:

ScottM has seen all four sides of the block more than once (and not just on this board) and I can tell you the last thing he is is that.

Greyeagle:

Why, when I read your post, did I hear a mechanical, air-filtered, James Earl Jones voice?

I hope the kid does real well.  It would be nice to see a kid from Devils Lake on the team.  I can't think of any other DL kids that have played for the Sioux.  

Dahlen, is that Norwegian, and does he sound like Jeff Panzer when he does an interview?  Jeff is one of my all-time favorite players (along with Goehring and a few others), but Karl didn't have the accent.  

And who is this James Earl Jones?  Does he play hockey and is he a Norwegian?  I've always said we need more Norwegians on the team.   ;)

gosioux:

ScottM has seen all four sides of the block more than once (and not just on this board) and I can tell you the last thing he is is that.

Or, as the saying goes:

"He's been rode hard, and put away wet".   ;)

Hey, is James Earl any relation to Steve Earl? ;)

James Earl Jones is the voice of Darth Vader, also, he is the voice that goes this is CNN... I don't think steve earl is related to him...

James Earl Jones is the voice of Darth Vader, also, he is the voice that goes this is CNN... I don't think steve earl is related to him...

Goon, I knew that.

This was just a play on the James Earl Jones - Matt Jones James Earl - Steve Earl joke.  

Bad, I  know.  It's mid-summer.  Hockey and Hunting still 2 months away.

With SSM's Smaby (projected as a possible first round pick, the top-rated high school-age defenseman in MN) now verbally committed to the Sioux for 2003-4, the roster of large defensemen is even more filled.

If nothing else, nice to win a recruiting battle against Minnie (and others) for another top rated MN kid.

Scott's link to the Hurl article posted on the USCHO board:

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforkshe...rts/3745893.htm

"Ward (SSM coach) said that Smaby, a left-handed shot, is a big, strong, strapping player who'll get bigger as well as better." Ouch, more black and blue coming to those who venture in front of the Sioux net. Have a feeling by 2003-4 we'll see less "punch after the whistle taffe's", or the like. Enough big d-men that one suspension for each may be possible (as long as they do it one at a time).

As hopeful as I am about the upcoming season, would almost like to move on to 2003-4 now. (Still want to see Spiewak and Notermann lead the Sioux to the FF this year, though).

THe DL kid better be the next coming of Patrick, Murphy, or Roche, if he's going to break into this lineup.

Careful Sprig about what you say about the "DL kid" lest you be chastised for doubting his divinity and ability to do cold fusion in a kitchen sink, let alone his numbers.   ;)

I'm tickled we landed Smaby.  The kid is a serious enforcer and can also QB the PP too.  I actually think he's closer to 200 lbs now so he'll definitely bring some "oomph" to the blueline.  He's also drawn some favorable comparisons to a late-model Commodore.  ;)

Sheesh, with Greene, Schneider, Prpich, Marvin and now Smaby, not to mention Eric Fabian coming on board, will we be playing 2003-04 shorthanded all season long?  ;)

But we have some scores to settle this season first ...  ;)  ;)

Smaby sounds like another recruiting coup for UND.  The guy is 6'4" and, by the the time he gets to Grand Forks, will probably weigh well over 200 lbs.

Ward was quoted as saying "The Sioux got themselves quite a player,