SiouxSports.com Forum

More recruits

Goon

Just yesterday or so there was a "Rick" on USCHO predicting that there as a very special player from the Mpls/St. Paul area that was going to commit to UND.  The kind of top player that MN really would have wanted.  I would guess this is the guy....

Anyway, Blais better be real careful in the middle of the game yelling "Matt, get on the ice!"

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of the posters over on USCHO are knocking Smaby as just another big, one-dimensional d-man.  The implication is that without more offensive defensemen, UND can't win it all.

Perhaps Dahlen is the kind of player who can take on a role like that.  Or perhaps Blais is counting on Schneider or Fuher to become more offensive-minded.  

Can anyone tell me if Dahlen is well-liked by UND's coaching staff?  Do they have the intent of playing him regularly?

I think you are contrasting the fact the our information on Smaby is pretty much all from an article Virg Foss wrote with quotes from Smaby's coach vs. fans of another team posting their own heresay through less "official channels".  Question is is anyone right?

Of course the coach is going to be glowing about his player for a newspaper article in the town the kid is going to play in.  Doesn't make him inaccurate, but one could see how Foss' article might not be totally objective.

On the other hand fans of opposing teams post less glowing information.  They have motive as well.

No one really knows what he will be like.  Considering his hockey schooling, the coaches comments, the comments from the gopher fan with inside info, it's still fair to say the kid has a lot of potential to be a very good hockey player.  His real value may not be seen for 2-3 years.

I think there is more offensive capability with our current players than we saw last year.  Just my guess as I am no talent scout.  But I think Blais is recruiting the guys he has for a reason.  They will be adequate offensively, and develop great defensive skills as a tandem.

Who was the offensive defenseman in the early 1980s?

You could argue James Patrick, but Craig Ludwig outscored him one season.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is this: It can be done (and very well) without an offensive defensman.

Patrick, Ludwig, and Zombo (heck, Glen Klotz and Scott Sandelin) were far from offense machines. They had solid (if not outstanding) forwards to get the puck to. No, it's not a glamourous formula (like a Murphy, Williamson, or Roche) but it's effective.

But mentioning Patrick, Ludwig, and Zombo: No, they weren't offensive machines, but they also made a lot of money later on doing 'the job' for pay.

Who was the offensive defenseman in the early 1980s?

You could argue James Patrick, but Craig Ludwig outscored him one season.

I agree. None of the Sioux defensemen from Gino's great teams played like a Ballard or Roche. They rarely, however, gave opponents anything in the Sioux end; super defensively.

The Sioux of that era could win low scoring games, in fact, they did win most that way, since they did not give the opponent many chances to score.

The upcoming crop of large defensemen, if they play that same game, can be very successful with the current talent at forward.

I, for one, am not a fan of Ballard (not surprising, since he's a Goph). He's often out of position, but even when he back defending, I've seen him burned badly often, including in the championship game. I think he has defensive problems that go beyond just being out of position rushing the puck.

I think it's important to remember that Smaby is only going to be a senior this season.  He's coming from an offensive-minded program that was studded with talent.  Everybody I know, real people--not names on hockey boards, who's seen him play says he'll definitely be an asset.  He's big, strong and isn't afraid to get physical.  At 6'4" 200 lbs at 17 years, I think he'll only get bigger and better.  As I noted on USCHO, he was recruited to provide a physical presence, ala Commodore, not try to replicate Roche or Murphy.  Those types of guys don't come around too often in any recruiting cycle.

If somebody else, Schneider, Jones, etc., can fill the "offensive defenseman" role fine, that's a bonus.  However, the primary role of d-men on most Blais teams has been to provide "presence" to protect our own zone, and the goalie, as well as defend the shooters from cheap shots.  If we had more "presence" last season, I'd bet our goalies would have had better outings and we may have actually broke .500.

I was a little disappointed last season with the lack of protection by the defensemen on either end of the ice.  After Schneider got his fighting ejection in the preseason, there was not much hint of it later.

I think what Blais wants is a set of d-men who will intimidate other teams meerly by their presence and clean defensive play, as he does not seem to tolerate fighting or after-the-whistle instigations.  Then, if he gets enough guys like Hale, Schneider, Greene, & Smaby, no one will dare play the intimidation game (like Demarchi / Taffe did last season).  If they try, losing one defenseman to a fighting ejection is no big deal, but it will be to the recipient of the beating!

I also got the impression that Blais is not completely against fighting, as long as it's not something stupid (like the first exhibition game of the year before the big opening of the new arena) and if it doesn't put the team at risk of losing the game.