SiouxSports.com Forum

More recruits

Goon

http://www.devilslakejournal.com/display/i...ts/sports09.txt Former Satan skater Chad Dahlen headed to UND

There was a handful of familiar faces on hand last week to help new Devils Lake co-coach Dave Duckworth with his annual Summer Hockey School at Burdick Arena.

Among them was 1997 graduate Chad Dahlen, who stirred up some news with his decision to transfer from Lake Superior State in Michigan to the University of North Dakota in Grand Forks.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a transfer, he'll have to sit out a season, right?  

As a guess, he'll be a walk-on for the '03-04 season and may or may-not get much ice time.  Do you know anything more about whether this kid is likely to make the lineup?

Goon,

LSSU had a mass exodus of players from their team during & after the season. Something like 8-9 guys left & transferred.

Possibly the way their new coach treats his players, but the LSSU faithful would never admit it. Glad I'm a Sioux fan & not a Laker fan.

Curious to see the Laker response to your post on their site.

Probably will say something to the effect " If he didn't want to play Anzolone's style of hockey then we don't need him here." Just a guess after seeing that reason after a number of their other players left.

Unfotunately don't know anything about him.

Dahlen is listed as a sophomore on last year's roster, so with sitting out a year, he'll probably be 24 when/if he makes the roster.  Looking at his numbers G/A/Pts/PIM ... I'm not impressed.  

I think Blais could do better. :D

I wouldn't get too worked up about the situation.  I think he's just Adrian Hasbargen for the next group - local boy who got into a bad situation (Talafous, Anzalone) and wanted to come home to go to school.  He'll be nice insurance for a depleted roster.  Hasbargen played on teams that advanced to consecutive national championship games.  I doubt there's much money involved.

I doubt there are any scholarship $$$ involved at this point.  I'd like to think that if he's serious about getting on the team he'll work hard with his "time off" so that he can be ready to contribute early.  If he has a strong work ethic and shows promise, the odds are good he'll be offered a ride of some sort.

This situation looks like a walk-on.  Blais is recruiting defensemen who are 6'+ and 190+ and nothing less these days.  

That's not to say he can't play the game.  It just sounds like a scenario where he will have to play his best hockey ever to get a regular spot on the ice.

Don't want to write anyone off, even though he's not on the USCHO radar.

Reminded of walk-on Scott Dub (from Grafton?), who didn't have big skills, but worked his tail off, made everyone else work harder in practice, and with his effort made a good team better (early 80's under Gino, I think).

David Hale 6'2" 225 4/4/8 pts. 63 PIM

Matt Jones 6'0" 214 2/5/7 pts. 20 PIM

Andy Schneider 6'0" 200 3/11/14 65 PIM

Nick Faul 6'0 180 2/2/4 8 PIM

So, Dahlin boasts a massive 5'11" 180 3/7/10 with 8 PIM ... when he's not scoring, what's he doing on the ice?  Hiding in the corner?   We have a clutch of forwards who have more PIM.  ####, Parise has more PIM than this guy.

For comparison, Greene is 6'2 220 with 3/16/19 134 PIM.

Not writing Dahlin off yet, but looking at who's already on the team and who's coming ... he pales in comparison.  If he works hard he may earn a spot, or he may enjoy a press box view.

The word I got that he was an offensive defenseman. Again, LSSU was not very good last year and they scored very few goals about 68 to UND what 120+ goals. I still expect one of the big guys to go pro just hunch I have. With the defensive core that UND has, they could field a pretty good Linebacker core. I pitty the opposing players that come bopping around the net this year. First Schnider it going to hit somebody, then Hale is going lay someone out, followed by a stiff check from Jones.

Look its going to be very competative in practice this year we could have some very good players sitting in the stands not playing. My guess that practice is going to be very intense if you know what I mean. I look at that as a positive.

I think that Chad Dahlen is going to be that go to guy like Roche or Curtis Murphy. He did manage to get 10 points on a team where the leading scorer had 15 or 16. In his Freshman year he suffered a tramatic thigh injury that required immediate surgery and 5 months of rehab. As far as 180lbs. goes, he throws it around like it's 220. With the workouts he has been doing this past summer he is up to 194lbs. The forwards for LSSU couldn't capitalize on his numerous tape to tape passes, if he only had forwards like UND does he could have broken the 30 point barrier with ease. So, let's see what he can really do come the 2003 Hockey season. There is a reason he transferred there and only I know why.

I think that Chad Dahlen is going to be that go to guy like Roche or Curtis Murphy. He did manage to get 10 points on a team where the leading scorer had 15 or 16. In his Freshman year he suffered a tramatic thigh injury that required immediate surgery and 5 months of rehab. As far as 180lbs. goes, he throws it around like it's 220. With the workouts he has been doing this past summer he is up to 194lbs. The forwards for LSSU couldn't capitalize on his numerous tape to tape passes, if he only had forwards like UND does he could have broken the 30 point barrier with ease. So, let's see what he can really do come the 2003 Hockey season. There is a reason he transferred there and only I know why.

Tantalizing!!!

Inquiring minds want to know.  

;)  ;)

I agree with Goon!  I Have seen Dahlen play, and I have to tell you, he plays a good game of hockey!  I don't remember Wayne Gretzky spending many minutes in the penalty box, but then again I don't remember Gretsky playing on a team like the current LSSU team.  I think given the chance, Dahlen will be a successful D-man and a great addition to the Sioux team.  I don't remember him ever crouching in a corner, but playing smart, heads-up hockey I have seen him do.  I think we can all agree that we can only do so much with what we've got, and in my opinion, this was the case at LSSU.  I believe with a little more to work with, this kid will be a definite asset to UND!

LSSU sucked last year & they sucked the year before that.

Anzalone was brought back to LSSU to try to get things rolling again, the way it was 10 years ago. He was let go from there previously, before my time don't know why.

Follow the LSSU thread with great interest for my daily laughs.There faithful think the world of Anzalone & expect him to be the saviour of there program. Only problem is his coaching methods & the way he treats the players is 20 years behind the times. They don't understand that 9-10 players just up & leave a program for no reason whatsoever. Must be the players & not the coach.

I'm glad that Borek, their previous coach, had no clue when it came to recruiting.