SiouxSports.com Forum

Gophers Turn Golden At Playoff Time

PCM

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John Gilbert? WTF. He's Duhloot's answer to "Shi ... er, Shooter" and Virg Foss. Hasn't had a clue about the WCHA since Herbie left SCCC. Sounds like he's got his knee pads polished, and his ChapStick at the ready for the next time he sees Lucia. :angry:

Talk about irony....the author is John Gilbert?!?!?!?!

Gilbert is such a shill. Long time Gopher beat writer beginning in the '70s, gets chased out of town to Duluth in the late Woog years. Then he turns more anti-Gopher than anyone on this sight for a couple of years, but he wears out his welcome in Duluth. Now he starts writing Gopher fluff books and articles now that they are champs again.

Complete snake.

It seems like we saw a similar story to this one earlier in the year (late January I believe) when the Goofers started winning some games. In the span of a weekend, they turned that around and started talking about all of the team's faults. I see the Goofers as a team who, for the past two weekends, played a team that was slumping the last part of the year, and this is enough to convince some writers that they are back, and will continue their dominance in the post season. Unfortunately, they still have to get by a Duluth team that they have yet to beat, and hopefully a UND team who wants a little revenge on the Gophers from their last outing. The only thing I know for sure is that come Friday night, I'm a Bulldog fan!

Gilbert's article leaves out a few important details the most important of these - Both UMD and UND will make the NCAA Tournament regardless of the outcome of this weekend...I don't think that was true for UND last year so his parallel of this season to last is simply not there.

Being a little hard on the Gilbert aren't we? I think the point of the story is that the Gophers seem to be surging now that it's playoff time and that the Dogs will face a different Gopher squad on Friday night. They've been up and down all year, but last weekend--albeit a slumping SCSU squad--the Gophers looked very sharp in their passing game. They also appeared more enthusiastic than usual. Their goaltending is still a major concern...and of course, young defensemen can always cost you a goal or two. No matter how you feel about them, however, they're still the defending champs and they have the talent to compete with anybody in the country...UND, UM, UMD, BC, Maine...the 5 best teams in hockey.

Should be a fun weekend. No matter who wins on Friday night, the Sioux will have their hands full with (presumably) CC and then MN/UMD.

Kudos to your squad for winning the conference, the toughest league in hockey.

I think the point of the story is that the Gophers seem to be surging now that it's playoff time and that the Dogs will face a different Gopher squad on Friday night.

That's Glibert's opinion. Until the game is played, nobody has any idea if it's correct. Certainly UMD will test Minnesota's goalies and defense in a manner that SCSU couldn't.

I'm just a bit surprised that the WCHA gave such prominence to an opinionated, hyperbole-filled piece of fluff.

Kudos to your squad for winning the conference, the toughest league in hockey.

Thanks!

I had the opportunity to watch the tape from the UM - SCSU game... and SCSU was in full Dahl stall. I mean really f'ing bad. Their defense was MIA.

Don't get me wrong, I am respectfully cautious of the gopher hockey team. They are very talented. I just don't think they were as offensively sharp as SCSU was defensively !@#!$.

UMD will not roll over for the gophers like St. Cloud did... it will be a great hockey game.

My avatar and signature aside... I'm really trying to be objective. :angry:

Edited by airmail

I had the opportunity to watch the tape from the UM - SCSU game... and SCSU was in full Dahl stall. I mean really f'ing bad. Their defense was MIA.

Don't get me wrong, I am respectfully cautious of the gopher hockey team. They are very talented. I just don't think they were as offensively sharp as SCSU was defensively !@#!$.

UMD will not roll over for the gophers like St. Cloud did... it will be a great hockey game.

My avatar and signature aside... I'm really trying to be objective. :lol:

so will there be crow if you are proven wrong? :angry:

WPoS

The Gophers swept a team on the downside since December...CONGRATULATIONS!!! And now they are gonna win the NAT'L championship??? Three weeks ago they were not gonna do anything!! What gives? What abuot the Sioux? We just beat MICH TECH FOUR STRAIGHT!!! If that doesn't say championship, I don't know what does!! Sorry, Goofs you're gonna have to perform this weekend before I'll take you in a big game! Did you say Doug Woog (the biggest HOMER in the world!) wrote this article!! HAHAHAHA

The Gophers swept a team on the downside since December...CONGRATULATIONS!!! And now they are gonna win the NAT'L championship??? Three weeks ago they were not gonna do anything!! What gives? What abuot the Sioux? We just beat MICH TECH FOUR STRAIGHT!!! If that doesn't say championship, I don't know what does!! Sorry, Goofs you're gonna have to perform this weekend before I'll take you in a big game! Did you say Doug Woog (the biggest HOMER in the world!) wrote this article!! HAHAHAHA

well, we didn't ALMOST drop a game to Tech tho....which if memory serves was ranked LOWER than JBSU... :angry:

WPoS